• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to structure King Lear essay (1 Viewer)

HSC
Ok, here's a brief outline of 3 structures that i know of -

- Readings based
- discuss readings in turn (feminist, nihilistic, etc) and how it relates to text
- give evidence from production(s) that show the reading

Productions based
- discuss productions
- give evidence
- discuss a reading in the evidence

Scenes based
- discuss concepts in a few scenes
- give evidence from a production that shows the scene through a reading
- give evidence from ANOTHER production that shows a different reading of the scene

Really vague, i know...I'm tired! Best i can do!! Hope it helps somehow :)

jessied

HSC
dont forget to metion themes (role of the gods, nature, order/chaos, filial ingratitude, reason in madness etc...) and values in there somewhere.. usually when you talk about readings or what themes are present in a certain production or scene

penciltron

HSC
i was wondering, if i do a "productions based" essay, seeing as i've only analysed the Brook film can i just use like an imaginary production as well that i've prepared?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
penciltron said:
i was wondering, if i do a "productions based" essay, seeing as i've only analysed the Brook film can i just use like an imaginary production as well that i've prepared?
yes, the problem for markers (which they complain about extensively but don't advertisefor obvious reasons) is that you can invent anything you like. For example, in the actual HSC you could say that the Brook's production always showed Edmund shrouded in darkness etc. whether or not it is true --> as long as your explanation of what that means is correct. The idea is that the marker is not allowed to dock you marks for getting details of a particular text or production wrong on the basis that if your essay had been marked by someone who hadn't seen that production they would have marked you differently. so invent away. Actually, this rule is particularly useful if you want to make up a production or a critic. Just put your own (last) name to it ("As Penciltron says..."; "In the postmodern Penciltron production..." etc.)

Haku

are you sure you are suppose to focus on the production as the core of your essay?

i thought that too, untill i got a shit mark back and was told to focus on the actual play in terms of textual integrity, form, structure, and language of the actual play as well as the production.

could some one tell me how to do that?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
it depends on the question, however the myriad ways of interpretating Lear is what i would define as close to the core of the unit. what you ahve described is a close study of text like you may have done in yr 11

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)