How to study effectively in general (1 Viewer)

DiValdez

HSC
How will I perform better in subjects?
What are key factors? sleep? nutrition?

How do I perform well in my subjects?
2u maths, standard english, chemistry, bio & pdhpe.

basically aiming for an 85+ atar.

and im willing to put effort in for 90+ but how exactly?
the shit thing is my school isnt ranked high and really puts me down.

study plans? what? anything?
PLEASE HELP!

I want have daily routines, use the holidays effectively and plans to prepare for assessment tasks!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Sleep 8-9 hours per night and everything will sink in - that way, you'll need an average of like, maybe 30 minutes per night (at least, for me).

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say the biggest factor is doing effective/consistent study (it's not a time based thing), good sleep is a close second (at least 8 hours a night).

So 2U maths, I had a method book, that was indexed and colour coded yay! Also pestered my lovely teacher all the time for how to do Qs I couldn't. Lots of Q practice and then hit the past papers. (There is a whole draw of done maths past papers in my room).

Std English-Know your quotes and techniques. Be familiar with your texts, and practice, practice your essay writing skills and creatives getting as much feedback as humanely possible.

Chem-Consistent work through the year, trust me you can't cram it the day before a test (learn from my mistakes lol). You need to understand the concepts well to apply it in chem.

Bio-Rote learn central, but with understanding (I found bio relatively straight forward) it can cut your rote learning down yay! Doing summaries is the best thing for this sub.

PDHPE-Pretty much same deal as bio.

Hazballs

HSC
You're doing pretty much the same subjects as me except i dropped chemistry.. And yeah as LoveHateSchool said the biggest factor is doing consistent study which is effective..

cheepy5

HSC
Be consistent like everybody says, the HSC is a marathon so pace yourself !
If your school isnt ranked high just try and get 1st rank or as close to the top as you can, then it shouldnt affect you as much.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I actually believe good sleep every night is the most effective. I barely studied throughout the year (BOS questions only) but still was near the top of my cohort in those subjects - I slept around 8 hours per night, at least 7.

You may not need a lot of study or even consistent study, given that you have a decent teacher and you pay attention in class. I ALWAYS had full attention in class so that I didn't miss anything - then, study wasn't needed so much.

HSC
I find English so hard to study for thus why I actually haven't done any except homework given by the teacher... I just can't get motivated to do English study but I know it will have an effect on my performance in English.... I think I already screwed my English Listening Exam up so any ideas of how to study effectively for English will be appreciated :) .

HSC
I find English so hard to study for thus why I actually haven't done any except homework given by the teacher... I just can't get motivated to do English study but I know it will have an effect on my performance in English.... I think I already screwed my English Listening Exam up so any ideas of how to study effectively for English will be appreciated :) .
I was similar to you in year 11, I was de-motivated to study eng adv because the teacher was bad and i just hated the adv course BUT ! I approached my new teacher and she told me the best way to study for english is to practise -.- yes it's cliche but the only way to improve your essays is to practise and get them marked (critical feedback).

For reading comprehension (unseen text in paper 1) remember to address the verb at the front (explain, describe and evaluate) as each verb is requiring you to write about specific things.

Lastly, my teacher said you don't know what you can achieve if you haven't even put in the hard yards for it first ! So i hope this kind of helps you and motivates you to study for english since it's compulsory :D

lolcakes52

HSC
If you find something hard, do it until you get it. You can't learn harder integration without knowing integration back to front.

Capt Rifle

HSC
Make sure you smash those assessment tasks, prioritise them over homework, trust me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)