how to study english (1 Viewer)

untamedanimal

What do you guys do to study for English, other then memorising essays. I seem to be doing alright with no study at all, but i realise that im going to need to start because i'm focusing too much on my maths and science's and i want to have english as a back up just in case i don't do as well as i hoped in those.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by untamedanimal
i'm focusing too much on my maths and science's and i want to have english as a back up just in case i don't do as well as i hoped in those.
just remember 2 units of english MUST count in your UAI.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
But to the people who got high in english... i.e. 96+... the big question is still... how did you do it? :D

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by untamedanimal
What do you guys do to study for English, other then memorising essays. I seem to be doing alright with no study at all, but i realise that im going to need to start because i'm focusing too much on my maths and science's and i want to have english as a back up just in case i don't do as well as i hoped in those.
yeah so true, i feel bad coz i spend all this time studying for maths and stuff, and i like english and wanna do better but its hard!

i think what you have to do is write lotsa practise essays and GET them marked, thats the hard bit. for like maths u can get a tutor and do past papers and get answers but u cant with eng reallly to the same extent

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
true true true.. i spend about 3/4 of my time on maths.. 1/4 on sciences...

then JUST before english exams.. ill start buying / reading as many guides as i can... the week before

T_T

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
this is so true......last yr most of my tym went for maths , phys n chem.....i neglected english ....it was only in term 3 dat i actually started studying for english ......n still i got 85....had i done more i wud have got more marks.....

i think those who want 2 do reallly welll.....do english consistently n treat it as imp as other subjects!!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
im guilty of neglecting english....i've barely done anything except for assessment essays and thats it...must get cracking on practise essays...and to think last yr english was my fav subject.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
well besides memorising essays.. u should try and do different essays and get them marked by ur teacher just to get the style right and it helps to drill different aspects in ur head which u could use in the hsc which arent in the one essay ur memorising..

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::

then JUST before english exams.. ill start buying / reading as many guides as i can... the week before
BIG mistake. never write other people's opinions for english essays i guaruntee you'll never achieve top marks that way. for HSC english it has to become a new state of mind. first detach yourself form all logical, systematic thought and try and get the imaginative juices flowing. also, always in speech and writing, extend your vocab. it's all about the vocab. ask someone the meaning every time you don't understand a word. have scholarly discussions about english with some other intellects - these techniques all helped me.

memorise essays if you want but just make sure you get them done and perfected and remarked by MORE THAN ONE TEACHER. by trials you should have 3 perfect essays ready to memorise and you'll be set.

felafel

Structure is very important in english.

You need to structure everything you learn . . .

For example, there could be 4 key themes in a text, and each theme has 2 main points that you know inside out!

Expression is about getting your ideas across to the marker. You vocabulary needs to be extensive, and developed so that you use a word because the context DEMANDS that word to be used, not just that it sounds good!

First impressions make a difference with most markers . . . therefore, neat, legible writing, and an efficient introduction need to be paid attention to!

ah well . . . there's heaps more stuff about doing well in english, but these are a few things that my teachers emphasize all the time.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by felafel
First impressions make a difference with most markers . . . therefore, neat, legible writing...
hmm this may be true but most of the exemplar samples in the BOS Standards packages have shocking handwriting!

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Estel
But to the people who got high in english... i.e. 96+... the big question is still... how did you do it? :D
You memorise really good essays. That's all you need to do for HSC English.

sickwithlove

Queen Beathen
HSC
i think that u should read as much stuff as u possibly can from anywhere, including newspapers and other essays. it doesn't just hav 2 be stuff that relates to your modules but its gotta be quality with top notch vocab to get you thinking. i also keep a vocab book where i write down any tricky/new words i find that might b handy.

Plus, memorising essays is really dodgy. just know your texts & themes back to front and do lots of practice essays so u can understand HSC speak. you'll be able to do a great essay on the day if you know what ur talkin bout. (much easier than panicking about how 2 make ur memoed essay fit the question!!!

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
If you wrote your perfect essay properly, it will fit anything they ask.

Just learn to read the syllabus. Trust me, it does work.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
okay this is advice given by me (granted I haven't completed the course yet, but I've done well in assessments etc) combined with stuff I've picked up from other students, plus teachers, plus my mum (who falls into the teachers category)

1 - memorising essays works for some people if you're good at adapting, but in many cases, it binds you. what I personally do is learn topic sentences off by heart, which then sets off the information in my head concerning that topic sentence... ie, for Mod A, a topic sentence will be "The primary concern of both Brave New World and Blade Runner is the disintegration of man's relationship with the world in place of scientific and technological advancement", which will then set off different ideas relating to the composer's comments on said advancements and disintegrations... therefore I have in a sense memorised it, but not in any binding way - ie, I have room for new ideas as well as room to forget things
nb-quality of topic sentence is irrelevant in this case :p

2 - on to study itself... look at the rubric and make notes for the text(s) in concerns to the rubric... make sure your notes are really comprehensive and you know the texts inside out... this means looking at what you're actually meant to be studying... ie using mod a (into the wild) as an example again... it's not good reading some generic summarising crib and using that as your only guide... those things are okay to get content down if you're really having trouble getting thru the text (prime example: me and the tempest:p)... but you need to constantly link back to your module/aos... for example, into the wild... there are SO many things you can say about both texts, individually and combined, but unless you can say exactly how it ties back to into the wild... you won't get the marks. so going through your notes and deciding what relates back to the module you're actually doing is REALLY important, cuz teachers/markers hate reading stuff that is really well developed, original and thought out... but doesn't relate back to the topic, because ultimately they can't give it good marks

3 - practising writing papers is REALLY important, learning structure et al will give you extra marks in and of itself... especially do this with forms you might not be as overly familiar with (ie, if you've written lots of essays and feature articles, try writing in the interview/script form)...

4- wide reading is v v important... also is having a wide vocab... if you see a word in your reading and you're not entirely sure what it means, grab a dictionary and write it down... i have my own little dictionary that i've made while studying and it's improved my vocab no end, garrulous little chicky that i am :)

those are my tips... relating to both study and the end result... hope they help some :)

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
yeha all good advice bar the wide reading. this is not necessary, but if you enjoy it as a liesure activity, i won't hold you back...

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I think it's important... not 100% necessary, but the knowledge you gain can mean the difference between 16/20 on an essay (ie band 5) and 18/20 (band 6)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)