how to study for english ext. (1 Viewer)

2ndbest

Erratic Member
HSC
Hey all,
I have my English Extension exam tomorrow and I was wondering how do you study for it, I have done all the practise essays my teachers have set and I have read over all them again but I feel like I should be doing more the night before the exam but there are no "facts" to learn.
So, what do you all do the night before an english exam if you don't need to "cram"?

w00dy.

HSC
well apart from freaking out.

i generally make mind maps of each paragraph of the essays.

memorise quotes

plan ahead i guess.

although it is kind of hard preparing an answer to a question that you dont know

goodluck with the exam

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
Check with your teacher what will be in the exam and follow their advice.

Before each exam we do our teacher goes through with us what topics will be in the exam and gives us hints on the things we have to include in our reponses like values, context, culture, etc.

princy

HSC
Make sure you have actually read the texts you are studying... not that you know, I wouldn't have done this *cough*.

HSC
try to write a plan for ur essay, wat point u may talk about, and wat techniques/quotes etc u are going to use in the paragraph

develop a series of question that may be wat the exam could ask, and answer them accordingly

try to remember a lot of techniques and quotes that apply to wat ur saying, don't just throw quotes in for the sake of it, or because u remember them, but use them for support

amisha_amisha

I'm a Title now?
HSC
I think a lot depends on your knowledge about the subject. I mean for our Yearly Exam for Ext English, we had to write an essay on why and how Mary Shelly's Frankenstein conforms to the Gothic genre - pretty simple really. And admitedly (sp?) I didn't study at all for it, nor did I memorise many quotes, nor did I even read the book! And I got 13/15 (an A) for it... I guess the markers are looking for sophisticated writing skills and... well... some understanding of the text.

syera

HSC
N/A
haha amisha_amisha... i got 15/15! i read the text and memorised some useful quotes and practiced writing other essays for similar questions.
i guess uve just got natural talent lol

but yea, to the thread... just memorise quotes, practice essays on the topic ur studying and make a plan!!! =) good luck

CPY WRT

HSC
haha i never read the novel for western genre and my did i pay for it in the creative part of the exam.
but for the other there really isnt much you can study for. i find all i can do is pretty much know my texts and make some form of plan before the exam.

princy

HSC
amisha_amisha said:
I think a lot depends on your knowledge about the subject. I mean for our Yearly Exam for Ext English, we had to write an essay on why and how Mary Shelly's Frankenstein conforms to the Gothic genre - pretty simple really. And admitedly (sp?) I didn't study at all for it, nor did I memorise many quotes, nor did I even read the book! And I got 13/15 (an A) for it... I guess the markers are looking for sophisticated writing skills and... well... some understanding of the text.
My whole extension class did that exact thing. The teacher was under the impression we had all read the book throughout the entire term.

SoulSearcher said:
I did exactly the opposite for Othello :)
I did not enjoy Othello at all, didn't read it, didn't study for it, pretty much just used the notes that I edited/revised/changed/did for my BF when he did it. Haven't got the marks back for that one yet... shall be interesting.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)