• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How To Study For English? (1 Viewer)

Beege

HSC
im studying journeys in english at the moment and we have our first test in 3-4 weeks, i really want to do well in it since ive only gotten just a pass for all my year 11 tests due to lack of detail in my essays i think (i usually only do 2 pages lol) and i really need to bump it up into the 70's at least, what is the best possible way to go over journeys?

Beege

HSC
we have only done two texts so far and i think our class is doing physical journeys, i have nearly two pages of notes about the ivory trail but minimal notes on the road not taken. My english class sucks, i am the only person who is serious about doing well while the rest of the class just mucks around and have no interest in learning what so ever, but they are gonna move me up into the top standard class in the new year i think and they have a decent english teacher

Last edited:
HSC
ok as soon as you finish each text summarise it, put it into a table or into a paragraph [which ever way makes you learn it]

then pick the texts you want to use, and put them into your essay, get your teacher to mark them, and see if you could get the teacher who will mark the actual exam to also check your work

Beege

HSC
$hiftyIceQueen said:
ok as soon as you finish each text summarise it, put it into a table or into a paragraph [which ever way makes you learn it]

then pick the texts you want to use, and put them into your essay, get your teacher to mark them, and see if you could get the teacher who will mark the actual exam to also check your work
yeh ill give it a shot, thank you and by the way where can i get practice essay questions from about journeys because i want to practice and then hand them into my teacher to get some feedback

Dark Phoenix

HSC
Try to get as much information as possible from different sources such as Top Notes or anything thats in dymocks or in ur school library and if you are doing an essay of some sort for ur assessment task, read some of the essays in the resources section, there is quite alot of good essays there and you could just add key points to ur notes. thats what i did, and i was able to create a whole essay with all the key points. i actually memorised my essay which does help. teachers say that u would only get like 60-70s if u just memorise them but in ur case, i guess that will be to ur advantage. but really i memorised all my essays for english HSC and all of them had fitted perfectly in the question. i guess i was lucky but it is also about ur ability to adapt to the question asked.

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
meanwhile u might want2 speak to ur teacher. maybe if u talk to her really nicely she might organise a couple of private lessons. i know of some teachers who would do anything for their students who are serious about doing well in the hsc, so this could work :) if she wont do anything, u could get an english tutor or something

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
If you're lacking detail, that's probably where you'd need to touch up upon. Learn your quotes, understand what your texts are actually about, listen to other people's ideas (and maybe even steal them).

Practising is a given and for your essays, back up everything you say, write down what the purpose of each technique is because anyone can identify a simile or whatnot, but not everyone knows what the point of them are. Also, always link what you say to the question.

Lol, just regurgitating whatever my teacher tells us.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
m0ofin said:
If you're lacking detail, that's probably where you'd need to touch up upon. Learn your quotes, understand what your texts are actually about, listen to other people's ideas (and maybe even steal them).

Practising is a given and for your essays, back up everything you say, write down what the purpose of each technique is because anyone can identify a simile or whatnot, but not everyone knows what the point of them are. Also, always link what you say to the question.

Lol, just regurgitating whatever my teacher tells us.
Teacher: Ok, <myname> what did you write for Question 2
Me: <Tells everyone what I wrote for Question 2>
Teacher: Alright, <next person> what is your response to that ?
Next person: <Tells everyone what he/she wrote for Question 2>

And at the same time with a pacer (or lead pencil), I write down the response above or below mine, at least copying keywords if I cannot hear all.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Gangles.McGee said:
You should be using a pen! Pencils/pasers are damn loud.

And to your question before: What do you mean when you ask "what do you argue then?"
The thread starter said she [or was it a he?] lacked detail in extended responses.
Set yourself a question, look at other essays, and write like there's no tomorrow.

If you know your work, then there is absolutely no problem. when you write something, give examples, talk about what it means and then elaborate. Writing practise essays helps.
Apparently, pacers make a lot less sound than pencils and no-one has ever complained when I wrote down notes/keywords from other people's responses with a pacer.

Setting yourself an essay question ?
You mean write a thesis essay to adapt to a question you will not know until the exam comes ? Or a one-size-fits-all like I did? Which earned me 14/20 in my yearlies?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
weihuang said:
what kind of essay do we write and base on what?
You gotta be more specific ... do you want to write a practice essay on Telling Stories, Physical Journeys or what ?
Our class usually writes practice essays which only takes 40 minutes in a real exam (not 1 page or 10 pages ... somewhere around 3-5 pages) ....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)