How to study for Listening/Viewing Tasks? (1 Viewer)

Paradox.101

HSC
I've always sucked at analysing short clips and then answering a number of short answer questions. There are almost no threads giving advice on this sort of assessment oddly enough as this sort of assessment is very common across the board, so I'd thought I should start my own thread.

The upcoming assessment, and my first HSC assessment is a listening/viewing task where we will be given five or so minutes to watch a short clip related to BELONGING twice and then proceed to answer short answer questions on how the text relates to belonging.

Any advice on how to study for this assessment and tips on how I could achieve a high mark?

I know you should take in account the:

• Colours
  • Facial expressions
  • Lighting (eg. high key lighting)
  • Body language/gestures
  • Symbolism that may relate to belonging
  • Clothing
  • Angles that may give a perception
  • Language (colloquial or formal)
  • Tone of the voice
  • Ambient sounds
... but other than that, what else? :confused:

jackc91

rumpleshit
HSC
Are you allowed to take notes during the viewings? Assuming you are, on the first viewing write as much as possible (ideas and techniques), on the second viewing slow it down so you can think a bit more.

Things to look for: Instances of belonging/not belonging and reasons for this eg) people, place etc, importance of belonging to the individual, and pretty much anything about the nature of the concept.

Hope I've helped.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hey,

I don't mean to be condescending, but do you know what reading tasks are? (Well I didn't know it at about this time last year, so I'm sorta assuming you might not :p). It's like the section one of paper one of the Standard/Advanced paper. It's where students are given three or four texts and they are asked certain questions about aspects of belonging and how they are conveyed in the text.

These would defintely help you, even if you're doing a listening task. This is because you are practising your skills of looking for aspects of belonging, and then identifying appropriate techniques. Then again, I didn't do that well in listening task and reading task. 12/15 and 13/15, lol.

Paradox.101

HSC
Lol Aerath, I know what reading tasks are, but my assessment is a listening/viewing task - a video clip. I don't know how to prepare for such a task.

+1 jack, great tips.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, but I reckon it would help you anyway. It's helping you look for aspects of belonging, and then identifying the corresponding technique - which is what your listening/viewing task wiill ask you to do, right?

Rage01

HSC
Yeah going through the section 1 of AOS past papers is a good idea.
There's not much else you can do but write a list of all the language techniques you know.
Use your reading time effectively so you know what to look out for during the video clip.

Paradox.101

HSC
Cheers for the tips guys, appreciate it. Guess there is not overly much I can study for, but rather give it my best shot next Friday! I'm nervous, being it my first assessment that actually counts towards my ATAR.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Pfft, these are small potatoes. I didn't get nervous at all until Trials.

Best piece of advice, treat all exams just like your Yr 10-11 exams. Study hard, but don't stress. :)

All the best.

Miss Sunshine

HSC
N/A
What type of listening tasks have past students received?

Did the teacher read something out and you had to listen and take notes? Or was it recorded? Did you have to write an essay or just some short answers?

interested to know your experience :)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally Short answers, recorded extract or a song (yr 11)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I had an essay to do after watching a tv episode twice. I started writing after watching it once and just made notes on the side the 2nd time around when necessary ^^

gesh17

HSC
N/A
I had an essay to do after watching a tv episode twice. I started writing after watching it once and just made notes on the side the 2nd time around when necessary ^^
+1

Basically, write/scribble down anything you deem to be a technique if even if you're unsure as to which one it may be (i.e. mise-en-scene is a great one for viewing tasks --> why are certain things placed in the scene? what is there intended purpose? etc.)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You would rarely be able to get the full clip beforehand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)