How to study right for hsc ? (1 Viewer)

aruna5va

HSC
My average so far has been 82% consistently since year 10. Although i study hard, I only get left out with a highest mark of 90 always, never a high band 6. I need a high band 6 to get into Biomedicine in MelbUni

MY TECHNIQUE : Read textbook, memorise content, do end of chapter questions.
SUBJECTS : Mathematics 2U Physics 2U Chemistry 2U Biology 2u Advance English 2U

Reading and memorising the textbook consumes most of my time, so I cannot do too many questions. What can I do further than this, I really need the 96+ cos Im not doing UMAT cos its too late, and everyone thinks I have potential(LOL big time) , cos I top some classes. How do I get that high band 6. What can I do ? Please help :'(

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Study, study, study. Give up on either sleep or social life, don't focus so much on memorising and more on understanding the concepts.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You need targeted studying, trying to memorise a textbook is NOT an effective way to study, you should try to explain concepts to a mirror-to see whether you understand that concept. Also, make time to do past exam questions-you need to be familiar enough with exam questions and how to apply your knowledge for you to actually demonstrate your understanding of any particular topic you get examined on.

So my advice, spend more time reading the actual syllabus and understanding the correlation between dot points through past exam question rather than memorising a textbook.

aruna5va

HSC
thanks :3. does it work for you ? Do you get grades that make you happy ?

mitra

HSC
N/A
There is a bit in particular that is relevant to what you are saying I think... they were saying that reading may not be the best way... as you say, you might memorise bits. But you may not get the best out of it in terms of learning meaning and understanding how the content might relate to other things. Reading and then summarising into different words is useful - as it shows a level of understanding on the content. I like studying with others. As a group we then try to explain bits to each other.. it really shows if we are getting something or not...

... but that might be just me!

Last edited by a moderator:

mitra

HSC
N/A
oh... one other thing. Try your best - but if you end up not getting the mark you need, you should definitely look into other ways of getting into your degree. I got an ATAR of 80 and needed 97 for the course I'm in. I enrolled in another degree and reapplied later. In our case, the second process included a portfolio and interview ... so they took into consideration factors outside ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)