How to Study Well (1 Viewer)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey everyone

So this year im accelerating chem and ecos, and next year I'm planning to do ext 1 and 2 but i want to get it all done by around this time next year, How do you guys recommend I go about studying for these to maximise marks (mid/high band 6s) ? What tips, tricks and resources do you have that worked for you? And also, how to you retain info the best?

thanksssss!
Defs focus more on ext 2 hard questions because once you get good at ext 2, ext 1 literally becomes a walk in the park and is just an exam about silly mistakes. Also when viewing solutions try to come up with better methods for approaching questions next time, not just look at the solution and go like "oh ok makes sense".

idkkdi

HSC
Hahaha wtf how do they manage that. They have so much more time than every else..if you do accell chem or maths and you get below band 6 imo your not very good. You were given the chance and you could gave grinded it out
problem is getting high band 6 in y11 with one yr less of 'experience' is kinda tough.

Jojofelyx

HSC
problem is getting high band 6 in y11 with one yr less of 'experience' is kinda tough.
Our school is pretty proficient in Bio, as far as my recent memory goes, we've had a couple state rankers and our accelerants have been like 1 or 2 marks off em, and same with 2U math. A few more years ago we were better in Chem, than bio, and accelerants usually got mid-high ish band 6s. But I do agree that it is 'tough' the kids who've done well have grinded a fair bit and are generally the biggest pests for teachers lmao

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Wtf lucky as shit, my school doesn't allow a single good accell subject and you can literally finish your bloody hsc before it starts, can someone explain how the hell this is fair
It’s not. Private & selective schools have an advantage over public nonselective schools in this way. It’s terribly unfair. My eldest ended up studying a load of 15 units in her last year because she wasn’t allowed to accelerate at all. She did manage to get all band 6s & E4s so she ended up with the highest number in one calendar year, but she could have gotten a higher 99+ ATAR if she had been able to finish one or two subjects earlier (she probably should have dropped a couple of subjects but she was doing equally well in all of them & actually found them all interesting).

To avoid a repeat for my younger two, they got selective school offers and we negotiated with the local school that they would only enrol if acceleration were supported. They really met their end of the deal with my son finishing Yr 11 extn maths mid Yr 8, so he really has all the advantages of a selective school but doesn’t have to travel.

Jojofelyx

HSC
It’s not. Private & selective schools have an advantage over public nonselective schools in this way. It’s terribly unfair. My eldest ended up studying a load of 15 units in her last year because she wasn’t allowed to accelerate at all. She did manage to get all band 6s & E4s so she ended up with the highest number in one calendar year, but she could have gotten a higher 99+ ATAR if she had been able to finish one or two subjects earlier (she probably should have dropped a couple of subjects but she was doing equally well in all of them & actually found them all interesting).

To avoid a repeat for my younger two, they got selective school offers and we negotiated with the local school that they would only enrol if acceleration were supported. They really met their end of the deal with my son finishing Yr 11 extn maths mid Yr 8, so he really has all the advantages of a selective school but doesn’t have to travel.
subtle flex

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
because accelerants generally do 'bad' in their subjects.
wdym
bad as in less than band 6? in that case yes because acceleration isn't for everyone and it's harder to get b6 in accelerated conditions than normal for the majority (ofc there are ppl who thrive when accelerated but not most)

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
wdym
bad as in less than band 6? in that case yes because acceleration isn't for everyone and it's harder to get b6 in accelerated conditions than normal for the majority (ofc there are ppl who thrive when accelerated but not most)
look at @President KK

yeah heck I even got a b6 in construction but sadly it's non-atar

dumbfuck

HSC
N/A
because accelerants generally do 'bad' in their subjects.
that's why our school would cull us, if you didn't maintain marks or if you were bottom ranking you'd be kicked, so only 15-20 people in bio/math accel

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
But shouldn't the guys that do it be like b6 material already...
that's true
schools are supposed to select only the most capable students and then continue to drop students along the way if they're not showing b6 potential, that's what my school does at least, otherwise it's just a waste and it would be better for the student to get b6 normally than b5 accelerated

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
that's true
schools are supposed to select only the most capable students and then continue to drop students along the way if they're not showing b6 potential, that's what my school does at least, otherwise it's just a waste and it would be better for the student to get b6 normally than b5 accelerated
I want a petition to make construction ATAR

President KK

HSC
yea, it's not easy to get band 6 when accelerated
although the good thing is that you have the option to resit exams if you didn't perform
look at @President KK

yeah heck I even got a b6 in construction but sadly it's non-atar
Aye,
So yea it isnt easy but not impossible to get B6
as you can see in my signature i got 81 for SOR II and 77 For metal. ( Both above avgerage)
Im happy with it and i got 4 units done. Mind you i could've prolly done better. However these two were not my strongest subjects.
Alot of my class got High band 5s for SOR II . i ranked ok not the greatest, not bad tho.
metal ngl was a tad disappointed got 83 for trial ranked 2nd but got 77 in hsc (another story)
This year as you can see what im doing in my signature. i also had quite a busy yr 11 as i do alot of extra curricular.
I enjoyed it and would happily do it again so your acceling eco? Thats intresting! *Not the person i quoted

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)