How to study/write notes for the AOS (RMF)? (1 Viewer)

Meromaths

HSC
I'm unsure how to study for the AOS. The text I'm studying is Romulus, My Father.
Should I find quotes for each area of the rubric (i.e. belonging to place, time, etc?) If so how many quotes should I be finding for each section?
I take it I don't need to study the purpose/form of the text, as opposed to Module A where it is crucial?
Also when analysing related texts should I only select texts that encompass all areas of the rubric?
Thanks

Chubbeh

HSC
You'd mainly have to relate whatever examples you have to the concept of Belonging.

This is from what I just did (probs not the best): I had about 4 quotes per aspect of belonging (place, identity, relationships, etc) and over time and practice, I would eventually be able to identify which quotes would be able to be used for multiple aspects. From that I cut down ~20 quotes into ~8, memorised them, and did practice essays to see how well I could BS them essentially. LOL.

In choosing a related text, I chose a text which somehow reflected what my core text was saying about Belonging (e.g. Places were major influences on an outcast's sense of belonging). Though this isn't essential, it may be easier to link in your essays. Then you'd de-construct it and find examples as you did with the core (in relation to the aspects of Belonging).

Meromaths

HSC
You'd mainly have to relate whatever examples you have to the concept of Belonging.

This is from what I just did (probs not the best): I had about 4 quotes per aspect of belonging (place, identity, relationships, etc) and over time and practice, I would eventually be able to identify which quotes would be able to be used for multiple aspects. From that I cut down ~20 quotes into ~8, memorised them, and did practice essays to see how well I could BS them essentially. LOL.

In choosing a related text, I chose a text which somehow reflected what my core text was saying about Belonging (e.g. Places were major influences on an outcast's sense of belonging). Though this isn't essential, it may be easier to link in your essays. Then you'd de-construct it and find examples as you did with the core (in relation to the aspects of Belonging).
Thanks!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Here is some advice to get you started:
1)Deconstruct your belonging rubric-all questions will come from it-so deconstruct it into 5/6 main points. For me, I deconstructed it into the following points:
-Perceptions and ideas of belonging, or of not belonging, vary. These perceptions are shaped within personal, cultural, historical and social contexts.
-A sense of belonging can emerge from the connections made with people, places, groups, communities and the larger world.
-Within this Area of Study, students may consider aspects of belonging in terms of experiences and notions of identity, relationships, acceptance and understanding.
-Texts explore many aspects of belonging, including the potential of the individual to enrich or challenge a community or group. Texts may also represent choices not to belong, or barriers which prevent belonging
-They may reflect the way attitudes to belonging are modified over time.

2)See which parts of Romulus My Father best relates to each of the 5/6 main points and list out relevant techniques/quotes/effects to support/expand these main points-can be about belonging or not belonging. Remember to analyse your related text(s) to the main points you have come up covering the whole rubric and relate it to your prescribed text-include relevant quotes, techniques and effects as well.

3)You can either construct paragraphs for each of the main points integrating the techniques/quotes/effects you have extracted from the memoir or start writing practice essays using your notes-and get someone to mark the essay and give you comment and feedback. Paragraphs are better than one long generic essay as there are many components in the rubric.

4)When you do practice essays, you can practice according to trial questions, however, you can alternate this with doing essay plans for other questions-writing out your introduction, body paragraph thesis point-example, technique, quote, effect, and your conclusion to make sure you can adapt your knowledge to as many essay as possible

Should I find quotes for each area of the rubric (i.e. belonging to place, time, etc?) If so how many quotes should I be finding for each section?
Yes, according to my advice on how to construct your AOS notes, you should. The number of quotes you find for each section will depend on how long your quotes are, how many techniques are in your quotes, which will determine whether the quote will only be able to be used within that syllabus point or can be adapted to a range of syllabus/rubric points.

I take it I don't need to study the purpose/form of the text, as opposed to Module A where it is crucial?

It is dangerous to make assumptions without referring to the Area of Study rubric thoroughly. If you read the Belonging rubric, it states:
Perceptions and ideas of belonging in texts can be constructed through a variety of language modes, forms, features and structures...In their responses and compositions students examine, question, and reflect and speculate on:
•how the composer’s choice of language modes, forms, features and structures shapes and is shaped by a sense of belonging

The importance of understanding and being aware of forms and purpose of composer is fundamental to all modules, and HSC/exam questions can focus on forms/purpose for module A/B/C or area of study-you will notice this as you read through past HSC exam questions as well as the corresponding rubric for each module carefully.

Also when analysing related texts should I only select texts that encompass all areas of the rubric?
When analysing related text, your foremost concern should be whether you can make strong conceptual links on belonging between your prescribed and related. And yes, do try to find related text that relates well to your prescribed as well as to as many areas of the rubric as possible-this means you can use your prescribed text in any essay question

Hope this helps:) Hope you are having an enjoyable and productive holiday:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)