how to study?? (1 Viewer)

AGB

HSC
the best way to study for ecos, in my opinion, is just to do practice questions i.e. multi choice, short answers and most importantly essays (and actually get them marked by someone who knows wot theyre talking about) obviously, before you do the practice questions you need to know your content reasonably well....

if you are struggling to find questions, then it is probably better just to focus on writing the essays. they can be pulled straight from the syllabus document under the 'students learn to:'

also, if you know the syllabus well enough, you can find past papers on the internet and then identify what questions come from each topic.

one source, if you are willing to pay the money for it, is the leading edge economics question book...(i think it is available through their site??? if not at bookshops) this categorises all types of questions into topics, and the multis SAs and essays are all hsc style.......

cheers

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
LOL

lol, thats a good idea. Our school made us buy the "updated economics" textbook as a supplement, wonder if its the same as the leading edge (question wise)? I'll check today, now that i know about the syllabus. hehee

BTW, William On's notes Matt g's notes are pretty darn good. Matt goes really into depth, and has heaps of stuff, but sometimes doesnt have whats in the syllabus. William On's has everything in the syllabus (except for a few minor stuff like BLOC's - ive only looked at first eco topic) but is more concise and is in note form. Just in case anyone wanted to know, you can compare your notes with these two. :D

Anyways:
"they can be pulled straight from the syllabus document under the 'students learn to:'" -AGB
You serious? lol, i didnt know that. I'll start doing that.

is a roflcopter
HSC
umm guardian
from now til christmas is probably the best fun you will ever have at school, seriously dont waste it on eco :D

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
You serious?

Updated economics is the best? mad, so now i dont need to worry about getting a supplement textbook. :D

Thanks for telling me that.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
its a 'textbook'. You order it before hsc starts, and it arrives in 3 packages. Its author is "Bulmer", unless Im mistaken. All the statistics are up to date (gets updated every issue), and I've looked at it once so far. If you wish to get more info, ask me. I'll give you a response on monday. Im away for the weekend.

is a roflcopter
HSC
bulmers pretty good
but the benefits of using it in year 11 were much greater :p

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
now why the heck didnt someone tell me that earlier

:(

Last edited:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Bulmer is good in the fact that its written SPECIFICALLY for the hsc course. Like, it goes through each syllabus dot point quite thoroughly with the latest information.

For example, i dont think any other book has the fact that "the World Bank changed its measure of world production from gross world product to total world gross national income. Gross national income is GDP plus net reciepts of market income from goreign sources." Or maybe other books do have it. heehehe, i dont have any other books so I cant say for sure, but its a reasonable guess. ;)

coroneos

Originally posted by Guardian
Bulmer is good in the fact that its written SPECIFICALLY for the hsc course. Like, it goes through each syllabus dot point quite thoroughly with the latest information.

For example, i dont think any other book has the fact that "the World Bank changed its measure of world production from gross world product to total world gross national income. Gross national income is GDP plus net reciepts of market income from goreign sources." Or maybe other books do have it. heehehe, i dont have any other books so I cant say for sure, but its a reasonable guess. ;)
Bulmer seems to waffle on too much IMHO. Excel is pretty good for me. But I tend to just use my notes taken from class.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hrm'ski

Bulmer waffles on? Hmm, i havent been through it all yet, but what i have seen, i've liked. :)

Remember, i've only read/studied the first 5 pages or so. But you think Excel is good, huh? I'll try it.

coroneos

Excel is very succint and gets to the goddamn point. Bulmer waffles on about nothing.

is a roflcopter
HSC
bulmer is good for essays...big essays

kt san

yeah...bulmer statisitics makes ur essay look impressive,
and excel is easy and simple language...but by the same token, it doesn't go in depth enough
i've only read da first few pages of by bulmer... and cos of da language and all
it makes me feel like i haven't learn anything throughout da whole year
it puts the things you've already learn in heightened language...and kinda discouraging to read just before ur HSC....but if u can crack through this step, which i have yet to leap...it's really helpful

Blondie

bulmer!?!?! bulmer my bloody ass. its crap! there is SOOOO much extra crap that we dontneed to know, however the stats are VERY helpful. content wise, i find tim dixon/john o'mahony is really good (leading edge textbook - its orange this year). the ocntent is very basic, but its easy to understand. and then i use bulmer, so its good. ugh, i keep not answering the question....wat was it again? :S

2003HSC

Originally posted by coroneos
Bulmer seems to waffle on too much IMHO. Excel is pretty good for me. But I tend to just use my notes taken from class.
you are the biggest phony. On MSN you were telling me how shit excel was and laughing at me when i said I have the excel book.
Kill yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)