How to succeed in a grad job! (1 Viewer)

koecko

HSC
Hi all,

Are you thinking about how to score and succeed in the best grad job?

I’m proud to introduce you to Tales of a Grad, a blog aimed to help graduates and interns entering the workplace. "After starting a graduate job this year, I found that while there was an overwhelming amount of resources helping students with the application process for grad jobs, there are very little resources helping grads once they’ve got the job. In my opinion, succeeding in your job is far more important than merely getting it, so this blog is trying to address that need."

Written by a recent alumni from the University of Sydney, this blog provides up to date and relevant advice to all those looking to excel in their career. Check it out at...

www.talesofagrad.com

Nahidul

HSC
this is pretty cool, even thouggh im about to start uni this year and am long from graduating.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Pretty good concept imo.

Will check it out - good luck!

koecko

HSC
this is pretty cool, even thouggh im about to start uni this year and am long from graduating.
Thanks for your feedback! I'm sure you'll enjoy your time at uni, but don't forget that the whole purpose of uni is to help you establish a career afterwards.
Though the blog is aimed at graduates, it's equally valuable to students going for part-time jobs or internships and will hopefully just help you settle into the corporate culture.

B

BoSSucks

I suggest you don't ask people here. Most people here are fail.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting read on there. Some of the tips there sound very much out of those "how to improve yourself" seminars/books, it's still a good resource for BoSers.

ps. Which Big4 firm did you move to? Is your site blocked at your firm because I can't access it at work :p

koecko

HSC
Thanks for your positive review. I hope this will be a valuable resource to BOSers.

I'd rather not disclose which firm, but I'm surprised it's blocked!

Hope you enjoy!

Monstar

HSC
working at one of the big4 now as a vaccie.. tbh I think many are charmed by the image they have associated with them. At the end of the day, they underpay and overcharge (thats from what I observe) and once the novelty of going into a nice building and visiting client wears off I think people jump ship. The turnover rate is high.

Ziva

Banned
HSC
It's either KPMG or Deloitte...

It's been long known they underpay unless you make partner

Many realise that they don't want to work their life away as a cog in the chain in the hope of one day making partner- thus the high turnover rate

In saying that, I heard Deloitte are about to make their youngest partner ever at 29.

Monstar

HSC
Deloitte partner in audit would probably earn alot less than a respective partner at the other 3.. Deloitte's audit arm, atleast in australia, can't really compare.. the other 3 have monster clients. PwC's audit revenue is huge.

That being said, if you look at audit as a transitional vehicle into other arms ie advisory, you'd probably want to go to deloitte. Looking at some mergermarket material, Deloitte has done some significant deals and is in the top 5 in no. of deals and value of deals. I think this mostly stems from its non independence issues from their smaller audit arm.

Ziva is very right though, if you can tough it out for the 10-15 years, partner pay is HUGE. Director pay is also HUGE.

-Assuming that everything goes right, 10-15years is not guaranteed for partner status-

FrozenSky

HSC
I've read your blog - how in the real world, companies will take into account relationship status etc... Well, is this also true with the uni you've also graduated from?
Would the uni you've attended also affect your chances of receiving a job? E.g. Companies preferring USYD/UNSW students over UTS/MQ
Or do they take more priority over the marks you've received in uni?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I've read your blog - how in the real world, companies will take into account relationship status etc... Well, is this also true with the uni you've also graduated from?
Would the uni you've attended also affect your chances of receiving a job? E.g. Companies preferring USYD/UNSW students over UTS/MQ
Or do they take more priority over the marks you've received in uni?
To be frank, no one really cares. The firm I was at had a mix of people from all those universities you just listed. Focus on your marks, work experience and extra curricular activities and you'll eventually find work when you graduate.

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
Hehe, as I said, I will leave that unknown. Glad you like the blog though. Are you at one of the Big 4?
yeah atm internship and start next year,. Get my CA and apply transfer to CF. If i don't get in, go commercial sector, banks and maybe even oversea.

@Ziva no thanks, as if work there 10-15 years. Just to become partner.

@JKhoury lol, that's why those G8 v non-G8 thread make me lol everytime. I know people got into big 4 bank, grad at UWS. Just do all the crap you need to do, everything else will take care itself. Also great deal amount of luck involved as well.

Last edited:

Ziva

Banned
HSC
Ritz, partners are on 7 figures (profit sharing so it is always changing but rough est.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)