• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to teach yourself Business Studies? (1 Viewer)

TheProsecutor

Hey guys.

I wanted some advice for teaching yourself business studies, & it would be greatly appreciated if you could help out.

Our teacher (who does not teach as well as what he could) has given us people who are prepared to put in the hard yards & get good marks a text book & a copy of the syllabus.

I started writing definitions, bizfacts & then information from the text book, but I have also tried just taking the key concepts from the syllabus & talking about those & backing it up with a little bit of information from the text book (Heinemann HSC).

What do you think is the best way of teaching yourself in this situation???

Thanks for your help.

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
yeah i think u are on the right track...it is really good if you learn the headings in the syllabus and learn the points underneath it...and also some text from ythe text book u are using.

The best thing that worked for me were the mindmaps (i have mentioned in one of the other threads)

and here it is : :)

Originally posted by perfectionist
For me mind maps worked really well! Since there is heaps to know...the best start is to look at the syllabus and make mindmap for each topic as u go...this way u can view the topic in one go....i mean what it constitues and stuff....then...go section by section...and learn the headings and know a bit in detail about each point. Mind maps are useful...since it helps u remember what each section is about..also if u look at ur mind map...chances are that u'd be able to picture it in an exam.

i made mindmaps for all topics...and they were extremly helpful...

i'd try and post em up...if i am able to find the CD i burnt them on after the HSC :(

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
i always have the syllabus front of meeh when i wrote my notes.... i covered every pt and subpt in the syllabus.... if ur textbook doesnt ahve suffient amount of info on one dot pt.. then i suggest u refer to other textbooks...

i write my notes in biz report format ie: headings, bullet pts, diagrams (and lots of it).

i will use an example (topic 2 - fiannce/using financial info/return on owner's equity ratio)

Return on OE's Ratio

give definition (i also have a seperate list of definitions but it does help to have them in main notes cuz it makes referencing a lot easier)

give equation

(subpts below explaining the equation in greater detail)

- An 18% ratio means that each dollar of OE is earning 18 cents of profit.
- The variable is net profit. The higher the NP is leads to greater the % of return.

- The higher the ratio of percentage, the better the return for the owner.
- The return to the owners is higher if most of the assets are financed by borrowings. This is because debt is tax deductible and is generally cheaper than equity finance.

i seperated the last 4 pts into 2 parts with a line break, this is becuase i dont lyk chunks of info, it puts meeh off, furthermore, the first section explains the meaning of the equation, and the second part talks abt the outcome, so when ur writing notes, you might want to group similar info together.

biz studies is v textbook orientated...so if u make good summaries from the textbook u should be right.

i made a seperate list of definitions dat is sorted by which chapter they inntially appeared in, that way its easier to study if u are just having trouble with the terms and definitions...

i also made flash cards..... i write general/broad questions on these cards... make sure u write general questions, this is because:

- going over ur flash cards means you will reiterate the general stuff which increases ur fundation

- the exam wont have mnai specific ones, so its ptless having all specific questions

- if u have specific questions, u will end up with far too mani cards, and then u will get turned off at the sight of so mani cards before acutalli going thru them, as i know this from experience hahha

i also handdrew a lot of diagrams in my notes, this helps when u have to write reports etc, i find by handrawing them u understand it more and takes notice of it more.

as perfectionist mentioned, mind maps are great, i had a mmind map for each topic stuck on my wall, it does help to reinforce the overall framework...

here are some general tips:

- always have the big picture in mind, when writing notes or gaining new info, must ask urself *where does this fit in da syllabus?*

- dont try to be too detailed or sepcific, there is a fiar bit of content in biz, you will simply waste ur time if u focus a lot on the details

- it does help if u get info from more than one textbook, cuz some textbooks have more content for certain topics, and some books have different content for certain topics, when u notice differences between textbooks when discussin the same topic, thatz when ur learning

- dont leave everything to the last minute, i am wirting a long response cuz i think u really want to do well, if you are writing this 3 days before ur final exam, then i wont bother replying at all, cuz u would be 1 yr late.

cheers

u might want to check out this thread, (dont bother searching for more, cuz i spent 20 minz searching for a good answer, aand this is the onli one talking abt studying biz in the whole 9 pages worth of history)

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2851

Last edited:

TheProsecutor

Thanks very much to you both for your ideas.

I am now mainly using the method you have used perfectionist, but I have not used mind maps; might have to give it a go soon.

Truly, what diagrams do you use? I cannot find many diagrams in the prescribed text book. Do you use them from others, or create your own???

Thanks again to both for your help.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
diagrams - lewin's freeze change model .... diagrams can also be used as another mean of delivering info...

if u want i can send u a section of my notes so u will know wot i mean by the latter, email meeh with the title

*bos - biz notes (the presecutor)*

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by AGB
whoa truly!
LOL, that's exactly what i thought :)

Originally posted by TheProsecutor
Thanks very much to you both for your ideas.

I am now mainly using the method you have used perfectionist, but I have not used mind maps; might have to give it a go soon.

Thanks again to both for your help.
no worries :)

I had not used mindmaps b4 either...but before the trials, it was so much work that it was really impossible to go thru all the notes i had in my books--cos they were way too much to memorise. Also, trial time was pretty hectic so it was very hard to keep heaps in my mind. So yeah i did mine b4 trials and they helped a lot...and if u do em from now, i reckon it wud be really good.
I can mail u a mind map as an example if u want...it's too big to be uploaded here. :(

Last edited:

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
go thru the syllabus and buy/borrow some study guides to help u if u get thru any difficulties..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)