how to use cambridge??? ... (1 Viewer)

futfut

HSC
N/A
stupid question but i purchased cambridge for 3u yr 11
i needed this book since my school used maths in focus and it sucks BAD
but in cambridge theres all this useless stuff thats not even in the sylabus
how is everyone using cambridge when they study?

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
I also use Maths in Focus at school and its alright for examples and the easy type questions. If you're thinking of doing 4-unit maybe not ideal:D Coincidents continue, I also just purchased Cambridge Year 12 but will have to (grudgingly) purchase Year 11 too:p - as their idea of Year 12 is different to mine. From what I've seen it makes maths more logical by putting into a larger (historical) context, something that the syllabus doesn't do.
I think just use it to broaden your knowledge of maths (which will improve your exam results) and for extra (challenging) questions.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Cambridge is also written by people who really understand the Maths, and so it does leave holes in theory like some other texts. Some of the material may seem irrelevant, but understanding it properly will make things easier in the long run, especially if you go on beyond HSC maths.

Affinity

HSC
If you hold an attitude that you are only going to study what's explicitly in the syllabus, you won't go far.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Affinity
If you hold an attitude that you are only going to study what's explicitly in the syllabus, you won't go far.
Does that apply only for maths or all subjects?

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
I'm using Jones and Couchmann, the book is really old but it has good questions, even though the explanations aren't really thorough and the answers are usually wrong.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Jones and Couchman is fine for basic stuff, but it does not (at least IMO) have enough advanced questions. If you want to do well at Extn 1, you need something more challenging than Jones and Couchman.

futfut

HSC
N/A
should i just work through it by order of the book or do it with the order of my school maths and tutor work?

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
school maths and tutor work. Its hard to teach yourself maths from the cambridge book, i think. I dunno, thats for me.

Different methods of learning work for different people. But you should work with the school, cause thats what you'll be tested on.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I'd agree with Grey Council - stick to the work you're doing at school, and use extra time to revise / rework earlier topics - I wouldn't recommend trying to get ahead of your class unless there's a really good reason.

Affinity

HSC
I believe getting just slightly ahead of class is a good practice.
Atleast read ahead of class(this applies to every subject)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)