How to Use other Textbooks (1 Viewer)

cdhee

HSC
Hi Guys,
So I've been eyeing a bunch of posts on BOS for a while now, and I see that for maths especially, everyone recommends using a multitude of textbooks as they all offer varying difficulty. I'm just confused as to how we would incorporate the use of all these textbooks in our study.
Our school uses Cambridge, so I've only been doing the exercises the teacher sets.
1. How exactly do I use other textbooks? Should I use them as we go through the concept in class, after finishing the ones set by my teacher? How many questions do I do from the exercise, how many textbooks do I use?
Like how long do you recommend spending? Because using multiple textbooks sounds like you can only focus on maths when in reality I have other subjects to study for :(
2. I know that past papers are key, but when do you suggest starting. For example, if we have only learnt one topic of 4, how do we do the past papers?
3. Do you guys print out past papers or just do them off your computer. After you do them, how do you keep track of the ones you got wrong, do you file them or...?
I'm just overwhelmed and confused.

Cheers, I know there's a lot of questions

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Usually I will do Cambridge first then other textbooks, after my teacher has finished covering the content. I'll do as many as I need to until I feel that I understand and am comfortable with the content.

2. I usually start about a month before or whenever we've finished all the required content. Sometimes the schedule was different last year so if there are irrelevant questions in the past papers I just skip them.

3. I do them on my computer... IMO printing them out is an unnecessary use of ink and paper. I don't worry about writing down exactly what I got wrong but I keep a general mental note of it.

Honestly with 3U you could do fine using just Cambridge as it's the best textbook and has pretty much everything you need.

Roy G Biv

HSC
N/A
yeah, do 1 textbook, there's really no reason to be doing multiple textbooks :O

1 textbook followed by multiple past papers. Start as soon as you've finished 1 topic. Hunt through past papers, find questions on the topic you've finished, screenshot the relevant question and paste into a word document. You'll end up having your very own past papers questions booklet for each topic, and it really shouldn't take you more than 10-15 minutes to have as many questions as there are in most textbook chapters, so yeah.

use the program greenshot - it'll make things more efficient.

and if you only use papers for which solutions are available, you'll also be able to self-mark and self-teach :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)