How to use the atar calculator? (1 Viewer)

cute lil monkey

HSC
How do I use the Atar calculator? Do we know our marks for internals at the end of our internal period? idk lol, I'm just basing my ranks from school. Anyone know? thank you

katiekms

HSC
How do I use the Atar calculator? Do we know our marks for internals at the end of our internal period? idk lol, I'm just basing my ranks from school. Anyone know? thank you
so i think most ATAR calculators you’ll find online only use moderated/aligned marks (not 100% sure, i just know it’s not raw marks), however carrotsss made an ATAR calculator that uses your raw marks lemme see if i can find it.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
as said above me the atar calculators are really only useful if you know your final hsc mark (which is moderated and aligned etc etc) so if you'd want a more accurate calculator reflective on your raw marks and stuff you should use the goat's calculator here (with an overview of how to use it): https://boredofstudies.org/threads/how-to-calculate-your-atar-from-trial-past-paper-marks.404596/

cute lil monkey

HSC
so i think most ATAR calculators you’ll find online only use moderated/aligned marks (not 100% sure, i just know it’s not raw marks), however carrotsss made an ATAR calculator that uses your raw marks lemme see if i can find it.
How do I know my raw marks?

katiekms

HSC
How do I know my raw marks?
your raw marks are the average marks you get in your assessments (or raw hsc exam marks but we obviously don’t know that yet). you don’t need to do anything to them, what you get is the raw mark. (i might be wrong)

Last edited:

cute lil monkey

HSC
your raw marks are the average marks you get in your assessments (or raw hsc exam marks but we obviously don’t know that yet). you don’t need to do anything to them, what you get is the raw mark.
So can I put my marks right now and see where I sit at? You can’t right because raw marks depends on the school marking and dat

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
\Do we know our marks for internals at the end of our internal period? idk lol, I'm just basing my ranks from school. Anyone know? thank you
internals funnily enough isn't = your internals from school. essentially your in-school exams are used to determine your ranks which in turn determines your internal mark for the hsc. there's a bit about this process but the barebones of it is that your cohort's aligned marks for the hsc are all ranked except the outliers. the third highest mark will be awarded as the internal mark for the person in the cohort ranked 3rd (it's part of this thing called moderation to make it all equal across all schools). the day hsc ends you will receive your official school ranks as finalised by your school to nesa

cute lil monkey

HSC
For your hsc exam what happens if your ranking or mark is very high and counteracts your internal rank?

cute lil monkey

HSC
internals funnily enough isn't = your internals from school. essentially your in-school exams are used to determine your ranks which in turn determines your internal mark for the hsc. there's a bit about this process but the barebones of it is that your cohort's aligned marks for the hsc are all ranked except the outliers. the third highest mark will be awarded as the internal mark for the person in the cohort ranked 3rd (it's part of this thing called moderation to make it all equal across all schools). the day hsc ends you will receive your official school ranks as finalised by your school to nesa
@Masaken

souli

HSC
so if I get 80 internally and 90 in the hsc, the average of the marks of 85 is my final mark? and then scaling happens after
Ultimately, it's very hard to predict what scaling will be like. But yes, you will get your internal mark (94) then your HSC examination mark (96). The assessment grade and the examination mark will be scaled depending on how you and your cohort perform. Then your HSC mark will be the average between the two (the 95 HSC mark). Hope the screenshot helps explain it better.
1715157920680.png

cute lil monkey

HSC
so technically does your rank really matter for externals as if you do very well it will average the highest mark you got instead the mark associated with the internal rank

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
so technically does your rank really matter for externals as if you do very well it will average the highest mark you got instead the mark associated with the internal rank
yes your rank matters a lot, especially if you don't have a very strong year 12 cohort you need to rank higher
for externals the mark you get for externals is just what you got regardless of rank + aligned, so it can either bring your hsc mark up or down

cute lil monkey

HSC
Oh ok I understand, thank you all for the time! Btw how do you know the assessment mark for the final internal mark

cute lil monkey

HSC
Sorry it was wasnt worded well but that answered my question, thank you for your help

carrotsss

HSC
your raw marks are the average marks you get in your assessments (or raw hsc exam marks but we obviously don’t know that yet). you don’t need to do anything to them, what you get is the raw mark. (i might be wrong)
this is correct but only if the assessments are similar difficulty and format to a hsc exam, if it’s like easy assignments then it won’t really translate to your actual ATAR but something more like trials will translate more closely to what you’re tracking towards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)