How to use the atar calculator? (1 Viewer)

cute lil monkey

HSC
I’ve tried my semester 1 marked in the atar calculator. I don’t know if this is a good estimate of my star but I will try this calculator later, maybe after trials.

Armon

HSC
internals funnily enough isn't = your internals from school. essentially your in-school exams are used to determine your ranks which in turn determines your internal mark for the hsc. there's a bit about this process but the barebones of it is that your cohort's aligned marks for the hsc are all ranked except the outliers. the third highest mark will be awarded as the internal mark for the person in the cohort ranked 3rd (it's part of this thing called moderation to make it all equal across all schools). the day hsc ends you will receive your official school ranks as finalised by your school to nesa
This isn’t how alignment works. You don’t get the third highest hsc mark from your cohort as your internal if you’re rank 3 internally. The schools don’t just submit ranks they have to submit marks as NESA aligned marks and UAC aggregate marks also factor in relative mark distribution. I.e. a rank 2 who was really close to rank1 will get a lot better of a mark then a rank 2 who was really far away from rank 1 in internal mark. Additionally outliers are still factored in this calculation, although how it happens isn’t made clear by NESA or uac. The only things we know for sure are that the mean of the unrounded exam marks must = the mean of the unrounded internal marks, and NESA tries when possible to give the rank 1 the highest exam mark as their internal and the same for the lowest rank with lowest exam mark, and that everyone else gets a mark proportional to the relative mark distribution of their school submitted internals.

This stuff changes when outliers are involved. For eg, I was rank 2 in chemistry in school assignments and received a 93 exam mark (highest in the cohort) and our rank 1 received a 78 exam mark (second highest in the cohort). I was treated as an outlier and received a 93 internal mark, and our rank 1 somehow received a 94 internal mark (higher than any exam mark received in the cohort). 🤷‍♂️

katiekms

HSC
this is correct but only if the assessments are similar difficulty and format to a hsc exam, if it’s like easy assignments then it won’t really translate to your actual ATAR but something more like trials will translate more closely to what you’re tracking towards.
thank you sm!

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
This isn’t how alignment works. You don’t get the third highest hsc mark from your cohort as your internal if you’re rank 3 internally. The schools don’t just submit ranks they have to submit marks as NESA aligned marks and UAC aggregate marks also factor in relative mark distribution. I.e. a rank 2 who was really close to rank1 will get a lot better of a mark then a rank 2 who was really far away from rank 1 in internal mark. Additionally outliers are still factored in this calculation, although how it happens isn’t made clear by NESA or uac. The only things we know for sure are that the mean of the unrounded exam marks must = the mean of the unrounded internal marks, and NESA tries when possible to give the rank 1 the highest exam mark as their internal and the same for the lowest rank with lowest exam mark, and that everyone else gets a mark proportional to the relative mark distribution of their school submitted internals.

This stuff changes when outliers are involved. For eg, I was rank 2 in chemistry in school assignments and received a 93 exam mark (highest in the cohort) and our rank 1 received a 78 exam mark (second highest in the cohort). I was treated as an outlier and received a 93 internal mark, and our rank 1 somehow received a 94 internal mark (higher than any exam mark received in the cohort). 🤷‍♂️
wait this makes so much sense (i’m admittedly not 100% familiar with the process), thx for the correction 👌👌

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)