how to write a strong thesis (1 Viewer)

monopoly73

HSC
hi, my teacher keeps telling me my thesis is not strong enough so i would like to know, what makes a strong thesis? also how do you link you r paragraph back to the thesis.

PhysicsMaths

HSC
hi, my teacher keeps telling me my thesis is not strong enough so i would like to know, what makes a strong thesis? also how do you link you r paragraph back to the thesis.
Could you please give us an example of one of your theses?

monopoly73

HSC
the questions is:

in your veiw, how does Yeats' portrayal of the complex nature of inspiration contribute to the enduring value of his poetry

my intro for this was:
yeats' in many of his poems uses the inspiration he finds in the complex nature and beauty of his surrounding to find a deeper meaning in life. he skilfully writes his poems in which the reader can not only skim the surface of what he writes but dive in to his true meaning. yeats' complex and multi dimensional techniques are what allow his poems to have enduring values which are still appreciated today

im really shit at english so dont judge :smile:, also in this essay question we had to refer to Wild Swans at Cool.

FlameLash

HSC
the questions is:

in your veiw, how does Yeats' portrayal of the complex nature of inspiration contribute to the enduring value of his poetry

my intro for this was:
yeats' in many of his poems uses the inspiration he finds in the complex nature and beauty of his surrounding to find a deeper meaning in life. he skilfully writes his poems in which the reader can not only skim the surface of what he writes but dive in to his true meaning. yeats' complex and multi dimensional techniques are what allow his poems to have enduring values which are still appreciated today

im really shit at english so dont judge :smile:, also in this essay question we had to refer to Wild Swans at Cool.
You could possibly be slightly more explicit or elaborate upon "deeper meaning in life" and "his true meaning." Also, you should specifically state what poems you are going to refer to in your essay. I'm not sure about what students are taught from other schools, but mentioning the composer uses a range of techniques or something similar isn't exactly necessary in your introduction and is considered extremely vague.

In your introduction you should mainly communicate the theses/concepts you will discuss in a cohesive manner. You should try reading up on some past essays that received band six marks in the resources section. Even though a majority don't pertain to your specific module, they will give you a decent idea of how to structure your essay cohesively.

Ekman

HSC
In my opinion, a strong thesis is both succinct and philosophical. I am currently doing Mod C for advanced English and I recently completed my half-yearly. My thesis was "The ramifications of the desire for control, results in the repercussive transformations of the human condition". The question itself asked about how people are manipulated by politics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)