• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to write band 6 economic essays (1 Viewer)

emi ye

I've just finished the HSC in 2004 and one of the subjects that I studied was Economics. I had a really great eco teacher and she gave us this generic essay plan that you could use for practically every question.

1. Definition
2. How is it measured?
3. Causes
4. Types
5. Recent Trends
6. Government Policies
7. Conflict in policy mix

This sounds really general and obviously applies more to certain topics than others but remember that if you could master these basics for every topic you could just twist the info to suit the question.

Other pieces of advice that she gave use were:

* When making these essay plans, jot down some jargons for each topic because using them does add sophistication to your answers and it is also in the rubric for a band 6 answer.

* Use statistics in your essays. Remembering them might seem overwhelming at first but if you make a list of the basic ones and keep on using them in your practice essays, they will come like second nature in your exams

* Write a what I call 'insightful comment' at the end of essay questions. It should be something relating to the topic you are writing about in a future context. For example, when I wrote about government policies last year, I always ended my essays with 'it would be interesting to see how the Labor government would implement ... if they are elected' since there was an election.

But this comment should never exceed three lines.

Although this is not absolutely necessary, it would stick in the marker's mind and make you seem really intelligent because you can relate textbook info to current events.

And keep on practicing and practicing!!!

I have also included some of the essay plans that I made but I strongly recommend that you make your own because they will become an invaluable tool for revision leading up to and after the trials!

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
what do you mean by conflict in policy mix?

emi ye

Conflict in policy mix refers to the conflicts in seeking to achieve the goals of economic growth, low inflation, low unemployment and external balance etc.
(Chapter 13 of Dixon textbook)

Eg, achieving a simultaneous reduction in unemployment and inflation (Phillips Curve)

This essay outline is brief but you need to refer to all these factors when answering practically every question

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
ah i see, thanks for that

apen

HSC
was your teacher able to predict the hsc question, were u expecting the exhange rate and the other one? did he also tell u what he expects this year?

Conspirocy

HSC
green_tealeaves said:
I've just finished the HSC in 2004 and one of the subjects that I studied was Economics. I had a really great eco teacher and she gave us this generic essay plan that you could use for practically every question.

1. Definition
2. How is it measured?
3. Causes
4. Types
5. Recent Trends
6. Government Policies

This sounds really general and obviously applies more to certain topics than others but remember that if you could master these basics for every topic you could just twist the info to suit the question.

* When making these essay plans, jot down some jargons for each topic because using them does add sophistication to your answers and it is also in the rubric for a band 6 answer.

* Use statistics in your essays. Remembering them might seem overwhelming at first but if you make a list of the basic ones and keep on using them in your practice essays, they will come like second nature in your exams

* Write a what I call 'insightful comment' at the end of essay questions. It should be something relating to the topic you are writing about in a future context. For example, when I wrote about government policies last year, I always ended my essays with 'it would be interesting to see how the Labor government would implement ... if they are elected' since there was an election.

Although this is not absolutely necessary, it would stick in the marker's mind and make you seem really intelligent because you can relate textbook info to current events.

I have also included some of the essay plans that I made but I strongly recommend that you make your own because they will become an invaluable tool for revision leading up to and after the trials!
Well I kind of agree with what you’re saying for how to write an essay and I kind of don’t agree.

For starters yes for sure you should include a definition of key question terms and probably any economic terms you would use in an essay. And flowing from that yes you should use economic jargon.

There should always be data in the essay because in the marking guidelines they make the point of saying they essay is looking at contemporary issues.

However I’m not really agreeing with the whole idea of a generic essay plan. And I’m assuming you wrote this with the idea that it’s not followed strictly. That’s because not all essays will be asking you for how something is measured or conflicts of policy mix.

I personally think that when you are writing about economics you should break it up into macroeconomics and microeconomics. I guess you could say that’s government policy. I honestly can say I wrote my essays how you have planned it out, but I wasn’t thinking of that generic aspect to it.

For starters I would recommend that each paragraph in an economics essay follows this kind of pattern:
• Each paragraph has a theme or an issue that you will investigate. E.g. Inflation.
• You then go about explaining this theme i.e. causes, effects, policy conflicts, etc in regards to the slant that you need for your essay question.
• Finally it’s good to implement any form of economic data to back up your statements.
So the process would be: make a statement, explain the statement, give an example and for the really good ones out there justify your example.

But yeah I like the generic essay plan you have going, just I wouldn’t try and plan an essay that way.

Left-ism

HSC
another piece of advice...
in essays, i suggest u put some graphs in. this is an excellent method of complementing your words and simplifying things for the marker. if you can successfully blend your words with graphs, you are bound to get high marks.

when drawing graphs, always use ruler. also mark the graphs with a number so you can use this as a reference in your essay (eg. graph 1.2).

in regards to the essay plans...i think its good to memorise a certain structure. but the best course of action to take is to practice writing essays for numerous questions in order to perfect your technique. if you do this, providing you have studied all your theory thoroughly, you should be able to answer any question they ask at you.

good luck ppl, and pm for any advice

Last edited:

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
Left-ism said:
another piece of advice...
in essays, i suggest u put some graphs in. this is an excellent method of complementing your words and simplifying things for the marker. if you can successfully blend your words with graphs, you are bound to get high marks.

when drawing graphs, always use ruler. also mark the graphs with a number so you can use this as a reference in your essay (eg. graph 1.2).
I definitely agree. And if you're short on things to write about (kinda hard, but it could happen) you can explain in depth of what is shown in the graph, displaying to the marker the extent of your knowledge on the topic.

FD3S-R

thanks alot i just needed an essay structure

so what would u guys do with :

Analyse the variations in global living standards and the rate development.

how would i arrange my paragraphs to cover that essay for a band 6 mark

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
green_tealeaves said:

1. Definition
2. How is it measured?
3. Causes
4. Types
5. Recent Trends
6. Government Policies

Did you get a band 6 or what

Will Hunting

HSC
How to write band 6 economics essays? Be naturally smart enough to do so. I don't mean to snuff out anyone's flames, or anything, but there's only so far you can go with preparation and planning, beyond which your intellectual capacity is your only resource. It's much safer and more mature to know your own limits than to do yourself over in the head trying to become something your not (again, not directing this to anyone specific)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Ednaw said:
i was taught not to say anythign political in essays
it was mentioned in the marking feedback that students in economics sometimes get carried away with their political opinions but subtle references that are relevant is ok. this is important when comparing trends in poliy formation. The key is not to get carried away....

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
T'was impossible for me. Max i got was like 14! (in school) Theres like so many things to prepare. sure you can know how to write the essay, but you need MATERIAL/FACTS!!!

Just get 100% on MC and short answers to get 60, average the essays and you might pull a band 6 if you're lucky. I think thats what I managed.. Since I only ended with up with 86.. meh! Must have been 12-14 lol!

English essays are wayyyyyy easier! :D No facts, 100% BS :uhhuh: :D

abdullah_legend

Band 6, is that like getting in the 60s coz dat seems like a lot of stuf 4 getting in da 60s! i got in da 60s for english in year 10 once and i did nuffin like dat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)