• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to write faster (1 Viewer)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Does anyone have any strategies (preferably not long term) which would improve writing speed while retaining legibility? I get so demoralised in english and any other subject where you have to write pages of stuff when I'm up to 3.5 pages when the 40 mins is up while the guy next to me has written 6 pages with writing half my size :(

I do practice at home but when I'm sitting at the exam my speed seems to be capped, even though quality of writing deteriorates

Last edited:

s2ophie

HSC
my english teacher says that the reason he dictates so ridiculously fast is so we learn to right faster. i don't know if it works!

You will write faster if you know roughly what you are going to say so the better you know your work, the more you will write because you will want to write more.

Otherwise just write bigger! :)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Hehe, my writing is absolutely MASSIVE, but that's what demoralises me

even if I write the same amount of pages as the guy next to me, he's writing is half the size so he was able to say twice as much as me in the same amount of time

I know about the old saying quality not quantity....
but still, quantity doesn't hurt, and even if you only have so much to say, you could save up time to use on another essay if you were able to write faster ;)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
my friend can write with both hands which i find really niffty...

how to right faster? know ur stuff, and i mean KNOW UR STUFF so you dont get writer's block

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I mean actually physically write faster. I don't write slow because I spend time thinking about what to write, I write slow because well... I just physically right slow :(

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
my english teacher says that the reason he dictates so ridiculously fast is so we learn to right faster. i don't know if it works!

Yeah, that's what all my teachers do. I've always written fast anyway, so I don't know how to give tips on "how".

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
both tooheys and sophie have spelt write as both - right and write in 1 post!!!

umm... yeah its easier if u know what 2 say, however i would also love 2 write faster. it's hard to have writing and thinking time at once

i dunno what 2 do, i think i asked this in a thread a while ago

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Originally posted by Suvat
Hehe, my writing is absolutely MASSIVE, but that's what demoralises me
my writing is massive too, everyone always feels the need to comment on its size, but at least its (very) easy to read :p

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
all i can suggest is maybe if you write in print, then write in cursive..but only if you are reasnoble at it..it is heaps quicker to link your letters together then to do a letter then have to stop then start everytime you need to do another letter.

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by iambored

Somebody is looking a little too closely.... and i have an excuse, i did my english extension exam today so my english has been drained from me!

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Originally posted by Suvat
I mean actually physically write faster. I don't write slow because I spend time thinking about what to write, I write slow because well... I just physically right slow :(
thats the same as me... when i did my practice king lear essay i wrote it and it was 2 1/2 pages on the computer... in class we were to have 50 minutes to do it... anyway i sat in my room and gave myself 50 minutes and i had to cut it down because my hand wouldnt allow me to write more in that time... i sat there with the essay right infront of me and rewrote it partly knowing it partly not therefore i didnt stop once and still.. i could only wrote 4 1/2 pages... so i now know i cant have my essays for that 2 1/2 on the comp because even if i memorise then I CANT write more... i dont get it... some people write like 6/7 in that time.... man it shits me and then i see that people write like 10 for one essay in the hsc and it worries me.... ahh but then again the paper is different isnt it? cause for trials we are using normal A4 paper...
ok none of that made sense

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by iambored

LOL i just noticed that man LOL

man wouldnt it be kool to be able to split ur brain and body... each half of the body can do a section of the paper at a time?

hmm... i need sleep...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
If you're a printer, start practicing runnign writing. That was my biggest hurdle, I hate running writing, it always looks messy. :(

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
My writing is like spaghetti and meatballs, so joined that sometimes letters are indistinguishable, yet my speed is still way too slow.

I now limit myself to 700 words for preprepared essays, with the provision to add more on the spot should time permit (highly unlikely though):rolleyes:

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
i said its all to do with an inky pen!! jsut practice with you pens when you know there are differences which write fast or slows you down

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
oh yeah, that's true....

get one of those good gel pens, even though they don't last very long O_______o;; especially during exams period -_-

those thick ballpoints are good too... get them from kinokuniya!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yeah, gel pens are good..but if you're left handed like me, then when you move your hand along to write the next word then all your writing smudges and becomes un readable...so go the cheapies if your left handed

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
artline felt-tips aren't too bad, even though the nib disappears after a while... but it has good flowability [i don't know if that's a word or not, my chem teacher uses it XD]

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Btw, Gel pens are really really expense --- because they do cost and they run out too too too quickly. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)