How u study for IPT?.. so different to other subjects (1 Viewer)

Azn fairies

how do u poeple study IPT.. unlike other subjects. it's hareder to grip the concept and a lot to learn.. how do u poeple study for IPT?? just do a lot of past paper and memeroise the answers or what??. help.

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
its actually pretty logical, most of the stuff in IPT, any half-computer-literate person should be able to grasp the concepts pretty well...
past papers generally don't help in IMO, cuz they dont have as many simple questions like in physics (i.e "what is xxxx?"), instead u have to answer the question in relation to the context of the situation in the question...

looking at band6 answers/solutions might work, the success one book is a handy book, the answers r very detailed in that

HSC
Past papers dont really float people's boat, simply because IPT hasnt been around long enough!!
Yeah, most of the concepts are pretty easy to grasp, especially AFTER you've done assessment tasks and had practical use of it (For example, Microsoft Access assessments creates better understanding of Info sys)

probly the certain aspects ppl should be studying in ipt is terminology, the nitty-gritty information (for example, ACID test) and how to elaborate your answers properly...

Azn fairies

thx for the advice.....IPT is mostly about applying the stuff to a situationand in one test i remeber they ask for

" why isn't a cheque clerance realtime" ..

and this might sounds stupid but i didn't know how a cheque clerance worked at all... what could u do in these kind of situation??....

Huy

HSC
N/A
I think I know where Azn fairies is coming from. What she means to say, if I'm not mistaken, are things you 'cannot learn via textbooks? I'll elaborate.

There are some things that you can't possibly know via "reading" the textbook, and there are some things that people learn via life experiences and their own individual knowledge or, as some would put it, "common sense". The issue about cheque clearance systems is one.

In applying your 'IPT/HSC' knowledge to the question, you are only answering one part of two, in effect, as the second part of the question requires you to analyse/think about the situation, not only in terms of IPT and the HSC course itself, but in terms of real-world situations. The second part of this question cannot 'truly/fully, or wholly' be studied by reading textbooks. You've got to have a full understanding of 'the way the world operates' (this is an important point to make).

In regards to cheque clearance, I can understand that few students would have written a cheque in their lifetime, and it is only really ever learnt through parents, friends who have chequering accounts, and so on. Some people (like myself) do not own a bank account at all, so you would have to rely on past knowledge, things learnt elsewhere, and to be able to have a full understanding of banking systems/cheque clearance would be difficult if you haven't experienced/witnessed any of it.

Having the basic definition of batch transaction processing systems alongside real-time transaction processing systems is handy. In your situation, I would urge you to clearly understand the difference between each term, and, if you haven't got a basic understanding of cheque clearance, the textbook gives a basic response.

Cheque clearance (batch transaction processing).
A cheque is a written order asking the bank to pay a certain amount of money to a particular person. (You should already know this without giving it a second thought).

When a cheque is issued to a person, he/she deposits it into a bank account. (Again, this isn't difficult). However, the money cannot be withdrawn until the cheque has been cleared (which makes sense). Cheque clearance involves checking that the person who write the cheque, has enough money in his/her account to cover the cheque itself. It usually takes three working days. (ie batch processing - collecting the data as a group/batch, and processing it later usually involving the time delay).

Cheques are cleared as a group when it is economical for the bank.

If you've ever completed a TPS assessment, you should be able to have a general idea about which ones are, and which ones are not batch transaction processing.

Batch transaction processing
Cheque clearance
Bill generation
Credit card sales/transactions

Real-time transaction processing
Reservation systems
POS terminals
Library loan systems

Just to reinforce your own understanding:

Batch transaction processing:
- Collects transaction data as a group
- Processes it later, when it is economical.
- Has a time delay
- Results in lower processing costs
- Stored offline/on paper

Real-time transaction processing:
- Immediate processing
- Provides instant confirmation
- Requires access to an online database
- Uses a terminal to enter data, view confirmations/acknowledgements
- Uses a computer network, linking terminals to mainframes

:)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Azn fairies
thx, huy that helped a lot... by the way im a guy. :p
Sorry, I assumed you were a female because of ...

Okay, well, the fairy bit had be thinking that you were female. Now I'm reading your sig...

lady_dilandau

Sharingan me!~
HSC
N/A
Oh god... with Prelim I just memorised answers, but HSC is a lot different and memorising answer don't help.

This girl in my class who does very well memorises the answers then a couple of weeks ago she asked me how to burn a CD >.<

Hmm...

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by lady_dilandau
This girl in my class who does very well memorises the answers then a couple of weeks ago she asked me how to burn a CD >.<
I don't get it?

She used to be able to know how to burn CDs before? Is that what you meant?

Theory and practice are two distinct things.
(If you do physics, it'll be thought and reality... or some sort of duality ;))

Azn fairies

it's cool hu. yeah my nick sounds a bit gay .. o well.

anyway how did u do the "quote " stuff on ur replies??

Huy

HSC
N/A
Click the 'quote' button at the bottom right hand corner of someone's post.

Or, if you can't do that, copy and paste someone's text and have:

tags :)

ie
(QUOTE)<enter your text here>(/QUOTE)
replacing parenthesis "()"s with square brackets "[ ]"s.

Azn fairies

Originally posted by Huy
Click the 'quote' button at the bottom right hand corner of someone's post.

Or, if you can't do that, copy and paste someone's text and have:

tags :)

ie
(QUOTE)<enter your text here>(/QUOTE)
replacing parenthesis "()"s with square brackets "[ ]"s.
hey cool.. thx huy. it worked i guess. :p

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Azn fairies
hey cool.. thx huy. it worked i guess. :p
No problem.

Yes, it did work! (if you needed confirmation) ;)

lady_dilandau

Sharingan me!~
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
I don't get it?

She used to be able to know how to burn CDs before? Is that what you meant?

Theory and practice are two distinct things.
(If you do physics, it'll be thought and reality... or some sort of duality ;))

Nah, because IPT is so theory based, she just read everything but had no idea how to apply it, like if we actually gave her computers and told her to set up a network using switches, routers etc. she wouldn't know. She didn't even know how to burn a CD.

IPT would have been better if they showed us more of the technology and stuff.. @.@

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by lady_dilandau
Nah, because IPT is so theory based, she just read everything but had no idea how to apply it, like if we actually gave her computers and told her to set up a network using switches, routers etc. she wouldn't know. She didn't even know how to burn a CD.

IPT would have been better if they showed us more of the technology and stuff.. @.@
Oh alright, I understand what you mean.
I read everything as well, but I know how to apply it (or I think I do :D :D). -- I've got an interest in computing (as a hobby) so it would be okay, as well as the CD-writing etc.

If she is looking for a practical experience, IT/VET would have been the better course for her. To tell you the truth, I was thinking about doing IPT and IT/VET as well, since 2U can still count towards the UAI, but decided not to because it wasn't for me. :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kouri
You can't study for it...it's too boring.. @_@
You can study for it...

That reminds me of English Paper 1, when you've got people saying "you can't study for it" when it comes to reading and writing sections.

Maybe that's a bad example, but you can always study for something, that will help you improve your marks :) That's the whole point of studying, isn't it? To raise your marks by 1, 2, 5, or 10%? Every bit counts.

If you hadn't studied, you'll get 50%
If you studied, and get 60%, that's better than not having studied ;) :)

Benovista

Old Schooler
HSC
its just knowing your stuff well and applying it to scenarios that you are given in the exam. Its the same with english, its easy if you know your texts well.

kouri

well w t f
HSC
heh, well of course you can study...
but studying ipt is one of the hardest thing possible for me...

it's so... 'boring'
and we're still not finished with the last option topic yet.. Hmmm

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kouri

and we're still not finished with the last option topic yet.. Hmmm
i'd be worried if you haven't finished your options BEFORE the trials... let alone after

we finished communication systems and TPS well before the trials... so now we're doing trial papers in class (past/2003 papers)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)