How would you rate Pompeii & Herculaneum? (1 Viewer)

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
We only just started Pompeii and Herculaneum at the end of last term and has a week of term 2, then exams and we should be starting again soon. I don't really like it and I don't like source analysis style questions:(

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

ari89 said:
We only just started Pompeii and Herculaneum at the end of last term and has a week of term 2, then exams and we should be starting again soon. I don't really like and I don't like source analysis style questions:(
eek. Stick with it - learn your sources, do your homework, do as much reading as you can, and you'll be fine.

maza1989

HSC
Hi everyone,

I guess the part that i find hard about P + H is that there is alot of content and I'm not sure how much to study for a source based test.

I have done alot of notes and I don't know if its worth it or if I should limit my notes and focus on other aspects of the course.

Well, I guess i'll work that out later.

Maza :p

Cpt obvious

HSC
Firstly I hate Pompeii and Herculaneum but maybe that is because we have only watched a stupid 3D tour of P & H, but the best way to prepare for a source based question is to have a solid understanding of the topic and get to know the sources i.e (In the persian topic there are two main sources reliefs and Herodotus so i became familair with them.) so if u know the main types of sources u will kill ur test so for pompeii me thinks it will be a picture of a building or other artafacts so just go over a broad range of pictures and analyse them and then give your anyalsis to ur teacher to mark.

fruitbats

HSC
at first i was really ecited, 'cos i thought we would be studying thetime when they actually died, but it wasn't to be. it just dragged on and on, i mean, if i wanted to know about column styles, i would have done something like design & tech, or hust looked them up of my own free will.
i am glad its overwith, as it just seeed to drag on and on and on and on etc etc (you get the jist) so i now am totaly sick of it.
tho, at the mo,egypt as a society isn't much good either :' (
so yeah.
thats my rateing:bomb:

bemma

HSC
Oh. My. God.

I have never been so bored in my life. :sleep: Seriously, it's the only topic I've ever actually fallen asleep in in Ancient. And I mean actual sleep, not just dozing off. The part on how they died and the pyroclastic flows etc is really good, but the architecture etc is sooo tedious T__T

I totally fluked our assessment on it by choosing religion as the section to study rather than any of the others...and when I say study I mean writing out two pages of notes in the class beforehand because attempting to learn all the architecture and political life made the baby Jesus cry. :uhoh:

Sparta is sooo much better <33

~*Bubbles*~

HSC
I absolutely agree, pompeii and herculaneum was just incredibly boring, but my teacher did her best and we cant ask anything more i suppose, but the ethical side of the topic was very interesting, and the sources were alright, nothing to hard i thought, but we will see

Trinket

HSC
When we first did Pompeii and Herculaneum I was so bored I had to get a sugar high before coming to class so that I could pretend I was somewhere else. :p

All the in-depth study really helped when we went to Pompeii and Herculaneum, though - made the visit way more interesting and we didn't have to go hunt down a tour guide to explain it all. :D

Still think that there's waaaaay too much to study for a quick source-based section in the exam... but it's a bearable topic. Better than Augustus... I hate the way we learnt about Augustus...

adrenaline rush

Schoolies 1-18/Dec/06
HSC
I really like the topic but i don't know whether thats because i find it interesting or it gives me some easy marks. I seem to really like the architecture and the influence of archaeologists parts.

Atossa

HSC
Cpt obvious may sound like he knows what he's talking about, i know that he hasnt actually really done well in Pompeii.

To me Pompeii is fairly easy and a REALLY interesting topic. Just the idea of having the perfect snapshot of the death of a city gives me tinglies.

I plan to go there, if not as an archaologist, as a tourist. I must see both it an herculaneum.

The test is rather easy considering we can make an educated guess at what the questions will be.

The most obvious is the 10 mark question which will be on the protection of the site. The question will run along the lines of

"Assess/outline the contribution of international/italian/both community to the Restoration/protection/conservation of the sites at Pompeii and Herculaneum"

Thats more than 1/3 of the marks right there. Just keep a nice even general knowlege of the syllabus and youll do fine.

Cpt obvious

HSC
Atossa said:
Cpt obvious may sound like he knows what he's talking about, i know that he hasnt actually really done well in Pompeii.

To me Pompeii is fairly easy and a REALLY interesting topic. Just the idea of having the perfect snapshot of the death of a city gives me tinglies.
Dont be fooled by my name I am not that stupid, Atossa beat me by like a mark so i guess he has bragging rights. the rest of what he has said should be fairly accurate but it is dangerous to assume that a particular question will be given during the HSC exams. i.e.The ten mark question could also be building lesiure activities etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)