how young is too young to get married? (1 Viewer)

the hsc sucks

HSC
what are ppls views on marriage? like how young is too youn, length of engagement, how long should you be with the person before you marry them? im curious.

Optophobia

HSC
Re: how young is too young?

I think 10 is a good age to make the age of marriage eligability.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A

hahahaa......well i'll tell u somethin, i'm nearly 20 and engaged...BUT......we not gettin married till at least 24-25 or more lol don't ask me why i'm engaged so early cos my personal life is my personal life. crazy eh? :) length of engagement can pretty much be identified by above..i don't know exactly how long we will be engaged, but i'm not going to jump into anything without knowing ppl...anyhoo no matter what marriage is like locking yourself up completely so i wouldnt exactly sign the papers atm. i see people getting married around 18 at youngest cos they can be in love.....but u never know..young hormones racing around everywhere, even if it's love, nobodys established themselves yet, so generally i don't think it's a good idea to be too young.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

The thing is, marriage means different things to different people. Not everyone sees it as for 'love' per se; others can see it as 'the next step in growing up' or even as a way to make money. That being said, if we were to follow in the 'love' method, then maybe rather than making it just a minimum age, how about a minimum length of time being together to reduce the change of young people making split second decisions which could have devastating effects on their future?

... but what about the more matured individuals seeking love and marriage? We could always take the approach of as you get older, you don't need to have known each other for as long (sounds like a regressive tax scale eh?) but then this all becomes way too complicated and not worth the effort.

... so in conclusion, just leave it the way it is. Besides, nothing makes a political party more unpopular than restricting peoples' liberties for no real beneficial reason.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
secret said:
Until you are absolutly positive that this is the right person, which I pressume you will feel in your heart.
What about the people who do it not because they feel it in their hearts, but rather, they think "If I miss the train now, there ain't any more coming, anytime soon." You can't exactly tell these people that because it's not pure love or the perfect match, they aren't allowed to get married.

EDIT: Btw my post isn't intended to sound like it's arguing/challenging your post secret- your post just inspired me think of that.

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
you won't know unless you feel it man..i mean, but that's really strange if people are saying if they miss the train there aint anymore coming, guys/girls are everywhere, i could get married to some random tomorrow if i wanted to, i could have any boyfriend i wanted to, i mean not any....say i cant (n woudnt wnat to) marry brad pitt or someone lol, but theres a billion ppl out there, u could probably get like 1000's of em in ur lifetime,but hell no obviously i'm not n wont lol....what i mean is people shouldnt think that way of themselves, if they want a husband in the future and want a serious relationship i think if they be patient somebody that's right for them would eventually show up, cos i mean.....if you don't marry without love, sure you may get along with the person, there might be instances of happiness, but hell no way it won't replace the actual love, love is just something that's uncontrolable.

Last edited:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
haha my parents dated for six weeks, got engaged, got married six months later.

...more than twenty years ago.

it seems practical to know someone really deeply before you marry them, but i guess sometimes it just clicks.

HSC
my mum got married at 19 and my dad was 23, they knew eachother for 1.5 years. my mum says that reason it lasted longer was because women where tolerant of men and men respected them more

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
i'd get married tomorrow if i thought she was the right girl. life's short.

HSC
i want too settle down and get married early as well, it usually isbetter too have kids younger you can relate too them better, plus especially if theyre closer in age. the consequences of this not happening is evident in our family which everyones distant. i know life is random and throws curvballs but id ideally want too get married one or two years after uni is over so maybe 23? 24? kids by 25-26, and lots of them

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
my mum got married at 19 and my dad was 23, they knew eachother for 1.5 years. my mum says that reason it lasted longer was because women where tolerant of men and men respected them more
stupid greek :)
lol nah but that's cute, my parents wer young aswell, and i reckon that's true, there are less respective guys and girls these days....having fun n being spastic is good now but it's sad to see some people are turning un-nice.

Ellie-Bee

HSC
My brother got married in March - he is 21. And one of my best mates got married in January and she is 20. :) So yeah, I think that below 19 or 20 is probably too young....

Skeeta

HSC
Both me and my partner will be 20 at the end of the year. We have been together for 4 years, and have considered engagement, because we have been together for so long, and we believe we will inevitebly end up getting married

The reason we are NOT engaged, is basically financial reason. We both have another 2 years left in our degrees, both live at home and cannot afford a wedding/moving in together at this stage, and we're not particularly keen on being engaged for like 10 years haha. So yeah its not our age, just more our situation

:eek:

HSC
sparkl3z said:
stupid greek :)
lol nah but that's cute, my parents wer young aswell, and i reckon that's true, there are less respective guys and girls these days....having fun n being spastic is good now but it's sad to see some people are turning un-nice.
come on the one thing europeans/arabs shared in common was getting married early in the 50s, 60s, 70s

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
16 is pretty young, while 30+ is way too old.

I reckon you should date the person for over 2 years or something before you marry.

btw some extra info: I only want 2 kids. :)
Individuals such as yourself shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC

In fitting with grand plans post-uni and employed/settled abit so say 23/24. Knock out 2-3 kids in fairly close succession between 28-32. I don't want to be an 'old' dad. By the same token though I dont really want kids now, being a young dad may make us more like brothers but it will make me less likely to complete uni.

Actually I'm not loving uni at the moment so working full time and having a newborn doesnt sound too bad. And hey they'd have moved out of home by the time I was 40 which would be awesome.

Monz

HSC

I think it's sad that some of you are saying you wouldn't get married after 30, what happens if you don't met 'the one' before then? or what happens if you get divorced and then find someone else who you're happier with?
Anyway...I'd like to get married in between 22-28, but if it doesn't happen when i'm around that age then it's no big deal.
I think any age under 18 is waaaaayyyyyyy too young, then again under 22 is probably too young as well, but if you think they're 'the one' then why not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)