Howard wants ill migrants and refugees banned (1 Viewer)

Born2baplacebo

Get Behind Me Satan
HSC
PRIME Minister John Howard says he wants procedures in place to stop migrants and refugees with contagious diseases from coming to Australia.
The Australian National Audit Office found that the Immigration Department knowingly approved visas for migrants with serious communicable conditions, despite authorities' inability to monitor them.
Mr Howard said today that a review of the situation was imminent and the best outcome would be a ban on migrants and refugees who were HIV-positive or who had leprosy.
"My view is the best result is that no one with those sort of ailments is allowed into the country," Mr Howard said on Macquarie radio.
"I'm going to review the current position, and I want procedures put in place that see as far as possible that that doesn't happen.
"We are looking at it the next week or so."
Fairfax newspapers reported today that HIV-positive migrants could be forced to report to health authorities within a month of arriving or face losing their visas.
Health Minister Tony Abbott and Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews had advised Mr Howard to adopt the policy.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21830807-2,00.html

Opinions ....

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
I'm sure I've seen this thread before. Anyways, what do you think they should do in relation to this situation?

lengy

HSC
They should include religion as a communicable disease.

Born2baplacebo

Get Behind Me Satan
HSC
I think it's a bit fair but at the same time unfair. If we are going to accept sick immigrants, what makes us so sure that they aren't carrying a disease that was wiped out in australia years ago?

But on the other hand, they are still human and we do we ship them if they are sick? America?

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
I think its rather disconcerting that we have migrants entering the country with dormant tuberculosis and other highly dangerous and infective diseases. The government implemented policies and procedures many years ago to ensure that we were able to control and eradicate such diseases. There are many viable refugees who do not pose a risk, and as such they should be prioritised.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
When we moved here, my mom had to get thoroughly checked out because she'd unknowingly contracted TB in Spain in the early 80s. She had to get monthly shots and check ups for a year before we could come here. They're really stringent already in that respect.

On the other hand, I'm iffy about this. It's not something you'd want in the country because we have a relatively low number of people with serious diseases like that but I think it's still a bit discriminatory.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
sounds good.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Remember Tampa and the Children Overboard Affair?

John Howard infamously said something like "we decide who comes in to this country and their circumstances...."

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I don't think we should allow anyone into the country we don't really need. As overpopulated as the world is getting the fewer people we have the better. Other countries are going to be overflowing and we are going to have plenty of space.

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
I don't think we should allow anyone into the country we don't really need. As overpopulated as the world is getting the fewer people we have the better. Other countries are going to be overflowing and we are going to have plenty of space.
Yes!

banco55

HSC
We already have a points system for migrants. It seems fairly obvious that someone who has a communicable illness or a chronic illness should get minus points. What's the point of importing a computer scientist if they are going to cost the medicare system a million?

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)