Howard's migration plan (1 Viewer)

N4FE

HSC
Racism wins elections.

A statement supported by the Tampa 'crisis' and soon to be exploited yet again in this silly 'Australian Values' test.

Also, we are that sheltered in terms of languages, especially compared to many European nations, so maybe it should be us, the Australian public, that bothers to learn an extra language.

Does anyone here know any values/languages of the Aboriginal people, beyond trivia about didgeridoos and boomerangs?

Last edited:

LynH1326

HSC
An ideal values test would be asking about Aussie laws.

Such as:
At what age are all citizens required to vote?
Is it legal to arrange marriages for your children?
When must children attend formal schooling?
At what age do children legally become adults?
Are husbands allowed to do what they will with their wives?
Is it legally required that you seek medical attention when a dependent becomes ill?
What direction do you give way to when driving?
Is it a legal requirement that you contact the police in the event of a car accident, no matter how small?
What is the age of consent for hetrosexual and homosexual sexual intercourse?
Are women allowed to conduct their own affairs?

These are just general questions that everyone should know the answer to.

This way, those who claim that they do not know Australian laws will have to learn the basics before they are allowed to become a citizen. Most of us, knowingly or unknowingly, know these laws because we have been brought up here.

Whatever happened to the migrants of my grandparent's era who came out to Australia and learnt the language, and learnt the basic laws? Isn't this plan just like the Migrant rush to get here? They were educated on the boats coming here and continued to learn English and basic laws in migrant camps before they settled somewhere permanently.

Personally, I'd feel weird migrating to a country where I knew none of the language. That feeling in itself would compell me to learn the language as soon as possible so i could get around and at least be able to do a grocery shop, and go to the doctors and explain my illnesses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)