How'd everyone go in English Paper 1 ?! (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
So how did everyone find it?

I found it alrite...the texts were fair...especially 2 and 4, it allowed me to talk a LOT about globalisation/industrialisation etc in the letter
the feature article was a surprise though, but adaptable...

mmhmm

im so stupid i forgot to do have a heading for the article and so it probably just sounds like an essay dammmmmmmn

how many marks would i lose if it just sounded like an essay??

tinility

i dont know but i wrote it exactly like an essay, but i put a title and who it was "written" by although i almost forgot to add in my stimulus booklet piece DOH!!!!

and in the trial for creative writing i wrote a "feature article" and i had this thing at the end "NEXT WEEK we discuss blah blah" but i didnt put that in this one :( ooopS!!!!!!

but my theory is a feature article has an intro, the points are discussed and it is summed up / concluded therefore its LIE an essay!!!

Lauren !

Jason

Well, stupid here started off with just one changing booklet text (Sky High) for the last section, then half way through, started talking about the door - and I didn't realise this til half an hour after the exam was over! How could I be so STUPID!?!
:rolleyes: :confused: In general, I thought the last question was good - nice and broad, probably to make up for the fact that they freaked everyone out by not making it an essay. And the letter thing was easy - although, mine was truly ridiculous, I made up this story about how my family became tree-huggers/renovators - the examiners will think I'm on crack! And the first section was alright too, although I didn't really get the cartoon or Cicada poem.

swr

Originally posted by Jason
And the first section was alright too, although I didn't really get the cartoon or Cicada poem.
Hey the cartoon was EASY!
I put my money on it being about the cyclical nature of change and how it is ironic that the rainforest once gave way to housing and now the housing is giving way to a rainforest....What did everyone else put for it??

Last edited:

Jason

I said that he was trying to say change was constant and that irony was used to show that change isn't new (which are pretty much one and the same - hence my difficulty with that question).

Nelly

I did the exact same thing. I talked about how it showed the inevitability of change, because it originally went from a forest to the 'urban sprawl' to the forest again.

The feature article was awesome, i didn't practise a SINGLe essay, and i was so stoked.

My letter was so much fun to write. Oh man, i wrote to the alaskan website dude, and told him to do an article on wollongong , becuase we are the first city which has constant fiber-optic internet connection for the whole city. And all the good/bad changes thereof. Was good

Looking forward to tomorrow. And then, BURNING all my English notes. MUHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA :chainsaw:

kaseita

gee, you all took that cartoon differently from me.
I just said that the composer was satirising today's society, by taking a common observation (bill boards advertising housing in the area) and in doing so, was warning us of what urbran sprawl could do, to the extent that trees will become more of a necessity than houses...

I found the letter really fun too! I could really identify with the cicada poem, so I found it really fun and easy to write. that was pretty good, since I wasted too much time on the reading part, and it only took me half an hour to do the letter.

sif not 99

yeah i dont really think that the cartoon was really about the cyclical nature of change, rather it was making an ironic comment about today's society and change for the worse, i.e. environmental degredation from industrialisation etc... that sorta crap

on the whole i think the test was pretty good but wtf was the cicada poem about!!!!

Lifewasahouse

Didn't anyone see the irony in the piece??
I talked about the billboard adopting the language of advertising to create the irony, and something else...I can't remeber now- the exams fading- adrenalin helps, doesn't it?

The Joni Mitchell song, "Big Yellow Taxi" was great- I did that as a found text for my trials, and changed at the last minute to another of her songs, "Both Sides Now".
So I already knew it.
I hated the Feature article!!!!! What journo would ever write a feature article about techniques used to convey the meaning and relevance of change from composer to responder?!?!?!?!?
The BOS really needs to rethink appropriateness of questions to the content before pulling another stunt like that- I was lucky though, I got 5 1/2 pages for each section.:cool:

Sting316

I said how the only trees in sight (in the cartoon) were those of telephone poles!

I said how the cartoonist attitude was how we'll need change all the time in the future. And subverting the forest into an urban forest and trying to revert it back. BLAH BLAH BLAH!

~bec~

i had fun throwing my place off the balcony
and the stimulus booklet too

felt great

paper one was fairly straightforward-no complaints

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Sting316
I said how the only trees in sight (in the cartoon) were those of telephone poles!

I said how the cartoonist attitude was how we'll need change all the time in the future. And subverting the forest into an urban forest and trying to revert it back. BLAH BLAH BLAH!
Yes, I saw the telegraph pole ...

BTW, there is a special thread set up for this ...

(Under "exam comments" or something, see main page for site ...)

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
I found section 1 alright, wrote too much on it and spent 10 mins longer than normally :-( I hated that poem about said it used Plant jargon (as they had the names down the the bottom indicating their definitions) and 2nd person . I said about the change in life cycle etc. Oh well only 2 marks

For Section 2, i wrote about the song and my change was about regional aust - banks closing, telstra etc etc saying we dont realise what we have until its missing etc

For Section 3, I wrote 1 BOS text, Enders Game (pres) and 2 supp. I done a heading and a from thing at the bottom BUT it sounded like an essay , although the Help line says it is ok and wont lose any marks.. Oh well, i hope not....

When the guy said pens down, i was REALLY SICK, i was sick throughout the whole exam, although right at the end, i was very sick.. then had to go get a doctors certificiate etc etc

I hope the Adv Modules arent that bad!!!

Angelic_Angel88

Miss Guided
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
what would they do if u just kept writing...then they tap u on the shoulder and ac all surprised
LOL! That would be funny.

They could say "Excuse me, I said pens down" and you'd still be furiously writing, oblivious to your surroundings. Then they'd come up to you and say "Pens down". Then they tap you on the shoulders and you freak out in shock and scream "Aaaah!" That would be funny.
Hmm... sorry if that sounded lame. I am really tired.

Yeah I noticed the irony in the cartoon too. Took me a while though. I said the cartoon used visual images, irony, and satire. It's a representation of modern day society and what's become of it.

The Cicada poem was about the the Cicada changing form. Like getting rid of it's shell and all. Well... on the surface anyway. I'm not sure if there's a deeper meaning to it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)