How'd You all Go... Aahaha beat you all to it... (1 Viewer)

terminator

Hey, did everyone throw in a diagram and/or a Gittins' (squid man) article. Did anyone do question 27, it was kinda hard i realised half-way through. did anyone talk about about anything besides increased trade& financial flows, terms of trade, valuation affect, int business cycle? :evilfire: :evilfire:

astro boy

HSC
i threw in a tariff and quota diagram in the protection question and i tried to justify an answer that i was unsure about by mentioning the phillips curve

nakata

i did the protection and micro one
funny enuf i also put in the quota and tariff graphs as well, forgot wat the subsidy one looked like> Dont think the phillips curve would be that usefull for that one. I jus talked bout the advantages and disadvantages of Protection, and i wonder if that is wat your supposed to talk about? hmm.

the micro one was a shoker, i thought mine had no substance, i concentrated on micro policy, and i basically wrote everything Tim Riley had on that section about structural change and micro policies. And i think it was too much bullshitting for my likeing. lol

i actually wrote a few pages on the fiscal one before i realised that the fiscal one i rote was definitely crap, then i changed to micro hehe, i guess i had the time.

xanadu2428

HSC
N/A
yep

yeh i think it was better than i expected! But did anyone use any current economic data? for some reason the questions didn't really have a need for that, i suppose u could add some, but i forgot all about that :rolleyes:

Thank god exams are over! congratulations 2 all!

kaseita

yea, I used data, seeing that in the rubric it tells you to use data

(but then again, I didn't read the top of the rubric, which says your meant to use the info from the stimulus)

astro boy

HSC
yeh i used data in the fiscal policy one, although i found it hard to write bout the stuff in the stimulus

xanadu2428

HSC
N/A
multiplyer???

was that the thing in the yellow 'writing in' booklet which said something like m= whatever and k= whatever, and it was worth 4 marks??? I had no idea what that was so i just left it, i find essays and that pretty alright but when it gets to adding up aghgghh :eek:

cainen

I used data and current statistics in the fiscal policy one but none really in the protection one. Unless u count some figures i threw in when i compared the bits of china that have protection with the bits that don't. I'm not even sure if i should have put that in.
I'm expecting at least a band 5, hopefully a 6. I got 92 overall in the assessment and came first..out of the 17 ppl that do it through distance education. That means i need at least 88 in the exam to get a 90 and band 6..although with the scaling and what not who knows. So considering i had no teacher and the only text book i had was the excel one (they send u heaps of notes and stuff in distance ed) i'm pretty happy with my result..so far. That could change when i get exam results back. So far mc's are looking pretty good, sa's i'm pretty confident about except that one on how the multiplier effects the economy..not too sure i got that one right and the essays i dunno about either..think i rambled a bit too much and may have talked my way around the question. Unsure though but too late now i guess.

Phil.

Mikowizzo

wow, yeh it was an easy exam~ so did anyone else do question 27 other than me and terminator??
i wrote stuff on exchange rates, international interest rates, relative inflation rates, global economic outlook, world demand for australian exports affecting the CAD and foreign debt...... didn't think about the international trade, financial, investment and technology flows.....

Brydie

Yeah i agree it was pretty good, though for some reason I don't think I answered the MER essay in enough depth. Was I the only one who didn't do the protection essay? And I agree, yay for no case study essay.

Anyway, too happy its over to really care now!

macca202

Originally posted by cainen

I'm expecting at least a band 5, hopefully a 6. I got 92 overall in the assessment and came first..out of the 17 ppl that do it through distance education. That means i need at least 88 in the exam to get a 90 and band 6..although with the scaling and what not who knows.

Phil.
you dont understand how the system works at all. your assesment mk of 92 means fuck all, only your rank matters, which is 1st, obviously the best you can get. for your exam mark you will get the mark for what you got in the HSC exam, and your assesment mark is hard to explain. whoever gets the highest mark in your group of 17 say they get 94, then you will benefit from this cos you will get 94 for you r assesment mark. if u top your group in the hsc exam aswell, then your assesment mark will be exactly the same as your SC exam mark.
if u didnt understand this i can see why, its damn hard to explain.

cainen

I understand what you're saying but your final hsc mark comes from 50pc school-based asessments and 50pc final exam. That would mean if i get a raw assessment of 92 and a raw exam mark of 88 that i would get a raw hsc mark of 90. You're right i dont know how the hell the scaling system is worked out from here, not many people do know thoughroughly and those who do seem not to be able to explain it very well either..perhaps because they're freakish mathematicians or something. My dads a principal and he can't explain it to me properly either. Although maybe its just me who doesnt get it...

B

Bambul

This is a simplified system of how it works (it's a bit more complicated, but this is close):

All the assment marks are ranked from 1st to last. eg. say you got 91 which places you third. Your mark no longer matters (in the real system it does, but not much, in this simplified system it doesn't matter at all as we won't be taking the variance into account, just the distribution).

Everyone does their HSC. The exam marks are ranked. For your exam mark you get the mark that you got in your HSC exam (say you topped your school with 96). For your assessment mark you will get the mark of the third highest exam mark in your school (because that was your assessment rank). Say second highest was 93 and third highest was 92. So you would get 92 for your assessment mark.

For your final mark you take the average of your exam and assessment marks.

[(exam mark)+(assessment mark)]/2
= (96+92)/2
= 94

As I said, it doesn't work like this exactly, unless there are only one or two people because this does not take into account the variance (eg. top 2 assessment marks are 92 and 74, the difference is so large that the variance will have a significant effect).

I still don't understand the HSC scaling system 100%, but I understand it enough to know that it is a good system and whilst not perfect, you would have a hard time bettering it.

macca202

yeah Bambuls right, and i'm right in the sense that its hard to explain, and lengthy!!! Your raw assessment mark as a mark means nothing because otherwise schools would just jack up their assessment marks!! Ranks are all that matter, and how well you group does in the exam. the other mark , the exam mark has nothing to do with how your school went, it is seperated from that.

stickyicky

Hey say u reckon get a raw exam mark of 30 or 40 in your actual hsc, that won't actually appear. when u get ur hsc results back right, your exam mark will always appear to be over 50, even if ur raw exam mark in the exam is like 30 or 40

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes that happens

think 4U maths, ppl get raw marks of 50's and 60's, but they actually get an HSC exam mark of like 95
the HSC exam marks is aligned, it is not the actual mark u get in the exam, and aligned marks are usually higher than raw marks, depending on how well the state does, and what the markers define as a "Band 6 performance"

terminator

Well the hard thing about question 27, was that I think it was harder than q28 if that makes sense. It wasn't as broad as q28 and you couldn't really utilise as many diagrams except the int business cycle (or exchange rate diagrams if you wanted to waste space).

Since everyone claims moderated marks are usually higher than assess marks, why tf bother with assess marks. THe BOS should just make it 100% based on raw hsc mark.:devil:

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
I think the thing with that is by basing it entirely on raw hsc mark you're not giving ppl as many chances to do well
some people don't perform well in exam situations etc and need and assessment format to boost up their marks
additionally i think it's fairer that you're examined/tested throughout the year than your entire mark resting on one exam

nakata

i dont think your entire mark relies on your hsc test. It still gets modulated according to your school assesment mark, and most importantly, your rank for the subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)