How's ENGL1009? (1 Viewer)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I'm already doing ENGL1007 (Canon of English Literature) for semester 2 2007.

Just wanted to know what others thought about literature of revolution ENGL1009 http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/2007/ENGL1009.html.

I'm a bit worried as it seems to be very similar to 19th century texts which i was not particularly fond of in extension one english for the HSC (individual and society).

Anyway anybody taken it? Thoughts? Ease? Tutors, lecturers?

Anything would be great.

This forum is pretty much dead though, i doubt i'll get a response :santa:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
This sub forum is such a deplorable failure.

Booklists are out for ENGL1007.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I recommend anybody who has at least a mild passion for English to take this course.

It was well-run and raised some very pertinent and expansive points (ie modernity, the inextricable link between art and reality et al).

This and Canon of English Lit were so much better (according to people i've spoken to anyway) than Ways of Writing and Imagining the City - the other first year english courses both offered in sem 1.

Oh and marks wise, i averaged ~90 from these two english subjects: as long as you prepared well for tutorials and have a cogent essay writing style a Distinction average is attainable. Also UNSW English needs moar peoples!

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Also Sizwe Banzi is Dead (one of the prescribed texts for ENGL1009) is playing in the Opera House at the moment. The theatrical production is directed by Peter Brook and ends on Sunday.

Anywho i watched it last night, and it's pretty ace. It's in French with English surtitles and you can really see how the improvisation of the text provides the impromptu production with such a forceful quality. I assume that each version that is played each night differs, due to the intrinsic nature of Fugard's township plays, which means there is a certain electricity in the air in each performance.

In short: the play dealt with some contemporary issues such as China as a superpower and AIDS while ensuring the focus was still on apartheid and the elevated notions of existentialism, identity and meaning in life (so Shakespearean in that sense).

Awsm play, worth the $55, go see it coolcats. Maybe i saw some of my fellow enthusiastic Revolution peers there :eek:

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Just thought I'd revive this thread.

ENGL1009 is indeed a wonderful course, the most interesting one I did in second semester actually. The texts I liked most were "Beloved" by Toni Morrison, "Danton's Death" by Georg Büchner and the American Transcendentalist pieces.

However, I did find some concepts (i.e. montage of attractions, gyres) to be too abstract for me to grasp quickly enough or entirely at all. Though, perhaps this is due to the fact that I'm a Science-based student and am too used to having concrete ideas.

Anyway, I did "Ways of Writing" last semester and thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't do "Imagining the City" so I can't possibly know any better.

Also, for anyone interested in Athol Fugard's work, the adaptation of his novel "Tsotsi" is well worth a watch.

Bobness, if you see this. Which English courses did you do in second year? Which do you personally recommend? ENGL2321 (The 20th Century: Modernism and Modernity seems interesting to me so far from its current outline.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Oh moofin (I remember you as the character who recognised my textual analysis in the Leunig thread :eek:) I will get back to posting my response to your question after I finish my final major paper. Pre-honours courses are very time-consuming (but well worth it :eek:) - also I might be looking at publishing in journals soon, as I have some support from those in the field.

(I feel a short reply would not do the courses justice)

And ENGL2321 was taken by Kate this year who is an awesome lecturer. As are the rest of the teaching (and even administrative!) faculty at UNSW EMPA :eek:

P.S. What course do you do? PM/email me if you don't want to say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)