How's everyone coping with Year 11 so far? (1 Viewer)

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Phew, it's already Week 7 haha. Unbelievable how time passes so quickly. Just wanted to check in with the 2021 cohort and see how everyone's doing!

Personally, even though the subject algorithm messed up my subjects and I had to choose Physics instead of SDD, I'm actually showing a bit of an interest in Physics which I've never really shown before (very surprising to myself). I guess it's very mathematical and since I have the passion for Math I'm finding Physics easier than someone who wouldn't like Maths as much/doesn't take Math at all. I just recently completed my depth study in Physics on two given topics:
  • A simple pendulum experiment relating the length of a pendulum string and the period of the swing.
  • The correlation between distance vs time and distance vs time squared in relation to a falling object.
May I stress how content-heavy both Biology and Chemistry are!! ;-;
Chemistry especially. Proton this, and positron that... ugh. Not to mention 6 letter word theories (valence shell electron pair repulsion theory). And not only just that kind of atomic bullcrap but the fact that there's the use of the word "nucleus" or similar words to "nucleus" in both Biology and Chemistry. Nucleus, nucleolus, nucleon, nuclear forces... and the list goes on...

Math or English is by far the easiest to handle right now, simply because Math is just doing examples, and English is just... reading books in your spare time to gain a wider vocab unless you have an assessment task... I guess? I've received my English assignment and I'm about to start on it after I finish this post!

Drama's pretty cool. Have a monologue to present next term, which means my holidays are something to clearly look forward to.

Anyway, I'm going to stop my ranting now haha. Would love to hear from everyone to see how y'all are going!
Stay motivated everyone and good luck in your upcoming assessments and exams!! ;)😁

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Quite overwhelming. Im doing ext maths, adv eng, french continuers, modern and chem. Like you, im finding chem the most content heavy and fast paced.Apart from that, everything has being going okay. I'm really enjoying my subjects and assessments are coming up soon!! (*cri*) What i'm finding difficult though is sacrificing my leisure time to do homework because the workload is mind boggling!.

foxxraven

HSC
God, maths is horrible right now... my school gave us a maths assignment report thingo? It's really confusing. Chem's rough too. Legal's not so bad, despite it being content heavy. Geo is meh and english is pretty good, we don't really get that much homework.

AKONS

HSC
sacrificing my leisure time to do homework because the workload is mind boggling!.
I know right! Year 11 has been a big change for me too. Especially for math extension, who even gives out math assignments? Even then who requires validation tests to those assignments? I miss normal math exams :/

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Quite overwhelming. Im doing ext maths, adv eng, french continuers, modern and chem. Like you, im finding chem the most content heavy and fast paced.Apart from that, everything has being going okay. I'm really enjoying my subjects and assessments are coming up soon!! (*cri*) What i'm finding difficult though is sacrificing my leisure time to do homework because the workload is mind boggling!.
Hahaha. Oh well, as long as you are sacrificing your time, make sure you reward yourself well at the end of your studies!

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
God, maths is horrible right now... my school gave us a maths assignment report thingo? It's really confusing. Chem's rough too. Legal's not so bad, despite it being content heavy. Geo is meh and english is pretty good, we don't really get that much homework.
What kind of math assignment is it? I've got my one next term but I'm rather curious to find out what I could be receiving.

Abyss21

HSC
Tbh math has been by far the easiest to handle for me, we are still going over 2u material.

BMWM2

HSC
From my experience, Yr 11 is a time to refine your study skills. Ideally, by yr 10 you should have gathered an idea of what works for you and what doesn't. So dont stress, but ensure that you are building not only quality content content foundations now, but also solid study foundations.

For me, Yr.11 Chem was not too difficult, although it can be very content heavy. Keep on top of things, and manage your time effectively. I found it most useful to not do any of the teachers work, but rather make my own notes, read them and read them, and practice questions using resources I could find. You will discover that there are more chem resources for the new syllabus now then there was for 2019 HSC. Use them to your advantage and try to complete some year 11 papers as you go for practice, rather than stupid textbook questions. Be selective in how you use your time and energy

Moles and quantitative chemistry is an integral module for your HSC success. Ensure you understand this thoroughly.

I found that Year 11 performance has no impact on HSC performance either. Obviously if you are getting 12% consistently in Chem, maybe reconsider the subject, but if you're getting good marks with a relative degree of effort, it is great. For reference, I remember getting 81% in my first modern exam for yr.11 and then going on to get a 96 Trial Mark/HSC mark as well. Work hard and TRUST THE PROCESS. Yr.11 is hard, but it is only the primer for what is ahead. As the year progresses, things will get undoubtedly easier as long as you dont let things snowball

Keep going and best of luck for your future HSC journey. It is something you will all look back on fondly!

foxxraven

HSC
What kind of math assignment is it? I've got my one next term but I'm rather curious to find out what I could be receiving.
It's a report, we have to investigate some of the stuff relating to chapter 6 (polynomials and inverse functions). That might just be my school though

Zerodeath

HSC
Uni Grad
It's been pretty good. Much better than Year 10 where I felt I didn't learn much and basically bludged the whole time.

It's nice learning content from fields we're more interested in. I'm doing both English and Math Extension, and it's been quite difficult to understand but the topics are interesting.

For the workload, it's not as much as I expected coming into Year 11 but maybe this is just the calm before the storm and I'll feel it end of term when all the assessments are packed together. It feels like I'm always doing Math homework, never seem to run out of it. But I guess it's okay since I get most of my work done during a bunch of free periods I have at school.

I know it's really early but since week 2 I can't stop thinking about which subjects I'm gonna drop in Year 12. Wondering if anyone else has had the same thoughts?
Haha I feel the same. I will definitely be dropping Ext Eng in Yr 12, I feel like I don’t really enjoy it. But I’m cool with all of my other subjects. The workload has increased a little bit, but not as much as i expected. Math Hw do be taking up most of my time as well lol.

foxxraven

HSC
You get a bunch of free periods?? LUCKYY (i have 0)
I think this depends on whether or not you do extensions or have out of school classes. I do two extension subjects and am on 12 units so I get a bunch of frees. There are also some people at my school who do other subjects outside of school so they get a bunch of frees too.
The downside is that I have three before school classes and one after school class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)