hrm, pure curiousity (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
1) appearance = normal
.'.NSAID's not required
as for crepitus, yes its quite normal but i've never had it before, plus on comparison with the unaffected side, it doesnt sound or feel normal

only feels much much worse today :(

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
the NSAIDS were for pain :p even tho there is no obvious inflammation..but since it hurts its indicative of soft tissue damage... :( i wouldnt go crazy with the NSAIDs but if the pain is bad id have it..

mine swelled when i strained my ankle.. used ice, sports tape and NSAIDs - ibuprofen.. unless ure an asthmatic..

Its also the recommandation of the AMH for tendon inflammation..
NSAIDs and/or analgesics + rest and passive motion exercise..
and ice or heat therapy.. :)

but then i dunno how painful it is..
btw lay off use of the wrist ;) and that should help :p

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
inasero said:
.'.NSAID's not required
as for crepitus, yes its quite normal but i've never had it before, plus on comparison with the unaffected side, it doesnt sound or feel normal

only feels much much worse today :(
is the crepitus loader or softer..
to figure wats wrong think in terms of solids (tendon), liquid (interstitial fluid) and gases.. within that joint..
if it gets worse.. get a doc to get a xray :) just in case u did something else..but its not likely.. :p

inasero

Reborn
HSC
awww Alvin I dunno if I, being a med student, could go off using my wrist for even a day (my writing hand)

the pain has died down somewhat
and crepitus is comparable to other wrist joint...
say i get an x-ray, how much should i pay?
there's also a time factor involved since i live ages away from anywhere and as u know time = money

woe is me :(

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i cant write fast enuf.. so i use voice notes on my PDA too

x-rays vary.. and can be claimed on medicare.. ive never done one on my wrist.. but its fairly cheap..
errr.. arent u attached to a hospital for uni??? and a clinic at uni?!?! my medical centre is 2 mins from faculty and im 1 mins from the royal adel.. so it should cost 30-50ish? if i recall correctly..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i dont know what u mean by "attachments" as such...u mean where we do most of our clinical examiation? that could be monash medical centre or the alfred hospital

hmm and i highly doubt i'd be able to get rayed for free...these days im thinking it could be soft tissue damage in which case X-rays are useless and theres no way im forking our for an MRI

anyhows i learnt today that the carpal bones articulate tightly so the triquetral or capitate should hold them in place while they heal...maybe its just a pissy little hairline frature

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yer the xray is "just in case" ( aka.. lets not get sued cos we overlooked a problem lolz.. re: 1 ep of scrubs ^^)

attachments- lik where u go in and observe with a doctor.. think wat ure 3rd yr and above do..

our clinical exams are at the med school.. a full room..
hospital once a week for 'gettin to kno patients' and find our way around..lolz had a MRSA +ve patient.. lucky i didnt hav to give physical.. just history.. ":)
next semester hopefully we get the proper attachments... syringes and more clinical stuff.. ^^

btw u wouldnt MRI.. if its not on the xray n ure hand is sore then it is a soft tissue thing.. its too expensive.. jsut to tell u got a sprain lolz

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
13 yrs in med training
1 10min history
1 full wrist examination
1 xray
1 MRI.. for lik 1 hr..
just to say u got a sprain!?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
*rolleyes* only in first yr..

the guy used my pen to sign consent.... i was like.. :| "u can keep it"..
came out used lik a litre of alcohol wipes and clean all my clothes.... paranoia of the newbie :p

inasero

Reborn
HSC
why do u need written consent? isn't verbal okay?!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
nope cos i was at the RAH.. its a public area... hence to insure that i hav a document..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
do you now? when i was doing examinations in clinical settings i could just ask verbally,.....i throught written consent was for more drastic procedures such as internal surgery

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
nah its our procedure... at our uni.. cos its assessible and hence we need proof

i can get verbal consent if they are incapacitated...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)