Hsc 2004 Q27 & 2005 Q19 (1 Viewer)

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
More ext. response, sigh.
Q27 - A sports magazine commenting on the athletic ability of Michael Jordan, the famous baskeball player said:
'Being an athlete takes more brains then brawn. It takes time and effort. It takes endurance and commitment. It takes an athlete who can stay in te air for 2.5 seconds whilte shooting a goal; an athlete who knows which laws of physics keep him there.'
Assess the information presented in this magazine, using appropriate calculations to support your arguement.

Q19 - In 1970 NASA launched Apollo 13, their third mission planned to land humans on the
Moon. Half-way to the Moon a huge explosion crippled the spacecraft. The only way
home for the astronauts was to fly around the back of the Moon and then fire the
rocket engine to take the craft out of lunar orbit and put it into an Earth-bound
trajectory.
At the completion of the rocket engine burn, mission leader Jim Lovell was heard to
say, ‘We just put Isaac Newton in the driver’s seat’.
Given that the spacecraft returned safely to Earth, justify Jim Lovell’s statement.

I know how to answer these questions, but I would like to see how others would approach such a question. They are definately the hardest imo, just so irritating.

shanks27

HSC
that q27 was sooo wierd. Basically i analysed the velocity required to stay in the air for the time and then looked at the hieght achieved and see if it was possible for a human or not.

Q19 2005- I looked at newtons 3 laws and how they apply to getting them back. and also how the slingshot effect etc adds into it and some random sentance at the end expalining the quote

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Yep, thats very similar to what I was thinking. I dont like these 'real life' style questions.

helper

HSC
N/A
The hardest part is ensuring you carefully read the question and what they are assessing. I know that one of the commercial answers doesn't address the question for the 2005 paper. They made the same mistake as Shanks

That question is only about the landing of the rocket, all the information in the first paragraph is irrelevent and so was any answer referring to it.

You were asked to assess the statement. So how have they just put Newton in the drivers seat after the rocket burn had been completed.

Glenjamin

HSC
N/A
Q 19 i don't mind cos u just have to mentions newtons laws and how do they relate to space travel for spaceships

if i get a q like 27 definately will be pulling out straws

philxe

HSC
for question 27)

since the total time of flight is 2.5s, 1/2 flight is 1.25s

using the vertical acceleration forumla: y' = v - 9.8 t

we know at max height y' = 0, and this occurs at 1.25s

so 0 = v - 9.8 (1.25), v = 12.25 m/s

sub into y = vt - 4.9 t^2, with t = 1.25 and v = 12.25 you get max height of 9.1875m which is impossible for any human to jump that high.

ashbashness

HSC
For question 19, would you talk about the slingshot effect and how 'using physics' can save time and resources? Because isn't that essentially what they were doing?

As obvious as it is, I wouldn't have thought about Newton's Laws. Lame. I just saw Newton as emblematic of physics in general.

helper

HSC
N/A
ashbashness said:
For question 19, would you talk about the slingshot effect and how 'using physics' can save time and resources? Because isn't that essentially what they were doing?

As obvious as it is, I wouldn't have thought about Newton's Laws. Lame. I just saw Newton as emblematic of physics in general.
Your first answer would have given zero as it is irrelevant to the question.
After the disaster of the results, the examiners enable a remark that allowed motion around the moon but it actually is irrelevant to the question.

They were after a discussion of the reentry and landing process. IE, Gravity (Newton Universal Law) is the only force acting on the object. And then how this obeyed Newton's Law. An assessment of if the statement is correct of false.

Eg. The statement is true as the spacecraft's path is now solely in the hands of Newton's laws. because ..........

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)