Hsc 2005 (1 Viewer)

littlewing

la belle etoile
HSC
Salut tout le monde!!

j'espere que vos examens vont tres bien...

i've just started yr12, im doing continuers & extension
i'm doing 'au revoir les enfants' for ext... just wondering if anyone here is in my year and is just starting extension, or if anyone has any tips or advice for me from previous years or this year???

extension seems pretty hard so far, especially the orals...im hoping it will get better. any replies would be much appreciated!!

merci bien et au revoir :D

-------

4u english
3u french
3u history
2u music

Class of 2005

Sugar

HSC
Hi littlewing :D

I'm doing French Continuers and Extension like you. For ext., we're studying 'Marius et Jeannette'. Extension does seem really hard, and the teacher advised us to pick it up only for an 11th or 12th unit. :S

How many people in your ext. french class? :)

littlewing

la belle etoile
HSC
hey! how u doin? hows 3u going??

there's 4 of us in my ext class, how about you?
i'm doing it as my 12th unit... my teacher said the exact same thing, i went through a bit of trouble with my school to be able to do 4 extension units but i ended up telling the subject advice lady that i would refuse to go to maths classes if she didnt let me drop (i was doing 3u maths for yr11!!!) and pick up my other stuff. what other subjects are you doing??

chepas

HSC
Salut littlewing!

I'm a little late on your thread but anyway :).

Extension will seem hard at first. The first time I watched Marius et Jeannette (yeah another M+J soul :rolleyes: ), I thought it was the worst decision of my life because I couldn't understand a word they were saying, but it really does get easier as you go along in the year and it should be fine, as your French develops and stuff.

Good work for dropping maths! :D What I did hehe, except that I never did Maths in year 11 to begin with.

Seems like you have a pretty intense subject choice! Extension all over the place, can see why your advisor person would see some trouble, but if you really like the subjects then it will be absolutely no problem.

Re: Oral - Oral will be appear like a beast at first, and will still appear a beast until the HSC oral exam! That's just my tainted view, but again it will get easier as you go along and you become more familiar with the requirements of the exam technique, which, in principle, is pretty easy, but then when it comes to creating two cohesive structured arguments with intro, body and conclusion, that last only about 2-3 minutes, it is quite a task!

One of the best advice is to read up on stuff in French, especially current affairs that are related to the prescribed issues (Belonging vs. Alienation, Coping/Change, Tolerance/Diff and their sub-themes) and learn lots of good vocab that you can use in the extended responses in Section II of the exam, and also for the speaking. Watch also some of Le journal on SBS Mon-Sat at 9.20am, and the SBS radio French progs (Tue, Thur, Fri - 11am; Sat 9pm; Sun 4pm) - this helps for the internal Listening component and also very good for a live discussion of current affairs. At the moment we're on the incidents in the Côte d'Ivoire and of course the banning of religious symbols in schools (it appears that sometimes I'm a bit obsessed with this topic :rolleyes: ). Also a good little newspaper is www.lesclesjunior.com (I can't remeber the site? maybe www.lesclesjuniors.com ?), as it has the topical issues in simple French language which turns out to be a BIIG saver because newspapers can get really confusing :D. Maybe your school could even get a subscription to the magazine Phosphore for your class, as it is an excellent youth magazine with the issues, and some interesting stuff too.

Mmm... in rereading this message it sounds really depressing and negative! It sounds like a really demanding course but really it's been fun. Tu vas bien t'amuser :D.

Amitiés,
Chépas :D.

PS: What Music course are you doing?

muzzling

HSC
Salut a tous!
Moi j'ai fait aussi de frext, et selon moi, c'etait au debut, le plus difficile chose que j'ai jamais faite... Et moi, je suis meme allee en France pour un echange entre premier et terminale..
Alors, Chep a tout a fait raison. L'oral semble difficile jusqu'au jour de l'examen actuel.. a mon avis, c'etait toujours difficile meme avec l'aide de mes profs et les etudiants d'echange..
Mon conseil. utilise bien tes 'classmates' car il y a tellement de choses a apprendre... pour moi, il semblait que frext prenais tous mes temps libre.. Ca vaut 3 unites, et pas seulement un!!

Moi, je n'ai pas vraiment regarde les progs comme Chep a suggere, mais ca ne peut pas faire du mal. Je vais poster tous mes notes francais sur ce forum l'annee prochaine, quand le bac est bel et bien fini, et je ne dois plus m'inquieter..
Parlez de fr assez souvent que possible, pour ameliorer les fonctions mentales francaise..
Bonne chance pour 2005

x

chepas

HSC
muzz said:
Parlez de fr assez souvent que possible, pour ameliorer les fonctions mentales francaise..
Bonne chance pour 2005
Oui ce que muzzling a dit c'est la vérité! It's a little mantra. Practice, practice, practice! One of the functions BOS serves well here :D. Check out our little justified spam thread, Parlons-nous le français ici (sic) où l'on parle de n'importe quoi. If you can start to think in French a lot of the time that would help a lot too as then you have a little advantage as it takes less time to think in exam situations - it's already in French :D.

littlewing

la belle etoile
HSC
hey!

thanks so much for the advice and suggestions...
HOW DID THE EXAM GO TODAY??
my french teacher was pacing around school nervously today when i ran into her, she was waiting for the girls to finish lol... i hope it went very well for you, and i'll go look in the exam forum, but anything you feel like sharing about the questions/how you found them would be fantastic...

i'm really liking extension so far, it's a challenge, which is awesome. i'm suddenly finding the continuers material very dry and uninteresting in comparison. i'm gonna take these summer hols as a big chance to try and learn as much about current affairs and all that sort of stuff relating to the areas of study (belonging vs alienation etc)

if you have any partic. advice about any of these areas or anything else i would be so greatful, i haven't had a chance to speak to any of the girls at my school that did frext this yr so you're my first port of call!!!

oh, and i do music 1. i major in voice, but i play guitar and i'm learning piano atm as well. i'm really looking forward to all the performance opportunities i'll have, but so far the class has been an absolute bludge, we don't so a THING and my teacher doesn't really seem to care, so i'm going to have to start on some of my own motivation i think!! did you do music?? what subs did you end up doing this year?? any other advice in general??

FELICITATIONS for finishing the HSC. i'm deeply jealous. i have so much to look forward to lol. but i'm actually that rare specimen who actually really enjoys school in general, and i'm only doing subjects that i love so i'm hoping it will turn out okay. i'm aiming for 98+, especially 97.4 for arts/languages at sydney uni. what courses did you apply for? i can't wait to go back to france after i finish the HSC, especially to visit my host family!!!

thanks again :D

chepas

HSC
Hey littlewing,

Today Saturday after last exam I think my advice circuits have all shorted. Maybe after a week of camping and then schools Spec (ohhhhh goooood... I'm going to be so dead come December 1) I could start thinking again, which would be beneficial to health I suppsoe.

I did Music 2. I preferred the Prelim content to the HSC content - Aust Music of the Last 25 years is just boring. But then again that's my very subjective assessment and my taste - also I prefer dwelling in the past :D. Don't fret about Mus1 class. THe Mus1 class at our school I think did theory every other day and then just did prac most of the time, which seemed to really be antiproductive I thought, yet they still felt comfortable with the exam! What electives/unit thingos did you choose as in 3 Perfs or etc?

Good luck for BA (Lang) for Usyd! I would LOVE to do that course but there is no way I am going to get 90s for UAI. They only admit 30 or so people into that course actually I heard on the open day I went to. It was scary.

How was your France visit? I've never been :( I'm aiming for Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec next year to FINALLY use this language in some useful context hehe!

Re: Continuers material seeming really bland. I felt pretty much the same way. I got really bored with doing the work for Continuers because it was just so stagnant because it started to become a course in learning expressions for travel and other necessities. And 'Young Persons World'? Mm....

Sugar

HSC
hey littlewing,

We have six girls in our Extension class. I enjoy Extension French more than Continuers because it is a much smaller class, and the work we learn is more interesting. :uhhuh:

littlewing said:
i can't wait to go back to france after i finish the HSC, especially to visit my host family!!!
Lucky you! I would like to visit my host family again, but errm, I don't think they liked us that much lol.

omg_a

HSC
oh mon dieu!! une autre personne qui fait au revoir!!! c'est incroyable. ! I did ext. this year, and was the only person on this forum who studied au revoir. I'll think throught it, and try to post something helpful in the next week or so. It's an excellent film, n'est-ce pas?? i cried...

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
knobblett said:
Try having 6 in a continuers class, and 3 in an extension
I got you beat. One Continuer. One Beginner. Merged class. No Teacher. I challenge anyone to beat the shoddy class-formation skills of my (former) school! ;)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
nemuca said:
but sometimes it's cool to have a large class

we have 14 ppl in our continuers class, and 9 ppl doing extension
(including a year 8 accelerant who appears once in a while)
and we always make a lot of noise and have heaps fun in class

our class is like the largest class out of all the lote classes
though all our lote classes are pretty large
dunno why, somehow this year there are heaps of ppl doing different extensions - we have like 9 ppl doing music extension as well
I wish i had a bit bigger class...we have 6 conts and bcoz our class was small they put us with the three beginners and took one of our periods away blah!

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
nemuca said:
but sometimes it's cool to have a large class

we have 14 ppl in our continuers class, and 9 ppl doing extension
(including a year 8 accelerant who appears once in a while)
and we always make a lot of noise and have heaps fun in class

our class is like the largest class out of all the lote classes
though all our lote classes are pretty large
dunno why, somehow this year there are heaps of ppl doing different extensions - we have like 9 ppl doing music extension as well

bizarre, that semble my class exactement!

Now if i can work out who you are....

And are you ready for the putain de exam on tuesday? Whoever you are my fortian freind...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)