• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2012-14 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankXie

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Re: MX2 Integration Marathon

My method--which I reckon kind of ugly--is:
After twice applications of double angle formula, convert the integrand into a fraction of $\cos4x$. Then use the $t$-formula. Care must be taken for tangent function has infinity discontinuity at $\frac{\pi}{2}. So I split the interval into two parts. Finally I got my answer $\frac{\pi}{\sqrt2}$.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

My method--which I reckon kind of ugly--is:
After twice applications of double angle formula, convert the integrand into a fraction of $\cos4x$. Then use the $t$-formula. Care must be taken for tangent function has infinity discontinuity at $\frac{\pi}{2}. So I split the interval into two parts. Finally I got my answer $\frac{\pi}{\sqrt2}$.
You can do LaTeX by surrounding the tex in tags, no need to put $ signs like mathstackexchange

I would just use this:

FrankXie

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

You can do LaTeX by surrounding the tex in tags, no need to put $ signs like mathstackexchange

I would just use this:

Yup, nearly the same as my working. as a test of typseting LaTex, I got what was your answer

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Yup, nearly the same as my working. as a test of typseting LaTex, I got what was your answer
Yea its something like that
With integration I just try to figure out how to do the integration but I don't really do the computing lol

e.g. "oh yea this integral you just do this substitution then alter that then partial fractions and compute"

seanieg89

HSC

Can that be found in terms of elementary functions?
Yep

by inspection/product rule.

For those, its pretty obvious the same exponential has to be in there because we cant obtain that as the derivative of something else. Unless its super hard, you can often guess it from there.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

Yep

by inspection/product rule.

For those, its pretty obvious the same exponential has to be in there because we cant obtain that as the derivative of something else. Unless its super hard, you can often guess it from there.
yes it can, I did it earlier.

seanieg89

HSC

yes it can, I did it earlier.
I do realise that this particular question can be done, seeing as I literally did it in the post you are quoting.

If you think you have found an elementary primitive of on the other hand (which is what I am claiming is impossible when I say we can't obtain it as the derivative of something else), I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that you are wrong.

seanieg89

HSC

Dont forget to try this one
I didn't forget, I just didn't bother. Any rational function can just be done by partial fractions, which isn't terribly exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)