HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
re: HSC Chemistry Marathon Archive

External things that can impact the shape of the graphs and it all depends on the states of reactant and products and whether there is an enthalpy change. Changes include:

-addition or removal of reactants and products (hence changing their concentration), an addition causes a sharp increase, removal causes a sharp decrease. If adding or removing solids or liquids, equilibrium is not affected as these have a constant concentration

- increase or decrease in pressure (or volume of system), increasing pressure (or decreasing vol.) will cause a sharp increase in both reactants and products, vice versa for decreasing in pressure

-increase or decrease in temperature (depending if reaction is exothermic/endothermic and if none, then temperature has no effect), changing temperature has no immediate effect on the system, but it causes the system to adjust to minimise the change (Le Chatelier's Principle), hence causing a smooth decrease/increase

Furthermore, after a change has occured, the system will shift to oppose the change, attempting to minimise the disturbance (Le Chatelier's Principle), and hence the curve will smooth out AFTER conc/pressure/temp has been altered

right or wrong? lol

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

External things that can impact the shape of the graphs and it all depends on the states of reactant and products and whether there is an enthalpy change. Changes include:

-addition or removal of reactants and products (hence changing their concentration), an addition causes a sharp increase, removal causes a sharp decrease. If adding or removing solids or liquids, equilibrium is not affected as these have a constant concentration

- increase or decrease in pressure (or volume of system), increasing pressure (or decreasing vol.) will cause a sharp increase in both reactants and products, vice versa for decreasing in pressure

-increase or decrease in temperature (depending if reaction is exothermic/endothermic and if none, then temperature has no effect), changing temperature has no immediate effect on the system, but it causes the system to adjust to minimise the change (Le Chatelier's Principle), hence causing a smooth decrease/increase

Furthermore, after a change has occured, the system will shift to oppose the change, attempting to minimise the disturbance (Le Chatelier's Principle), and hence the curve will smooth out AFTER conc/pressure/temp has been altered

right or wrong? lol
I think that's right, but what about liquids, why don't they affect the system when you draw some out?

I'd like a second opinion on this though

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

I think that's right, but what about liquids, why don't they affect the system when you draw some out?

I'd like a second opinion on this though
Pretty sure addition/removal of a solution affects equilibrium, it's only solids that don't.

I'd like a third opinion on this though.

bedpotato

HSC

Pretty sure addition/removal of a solution affects equilibrium, it's only solids that don't.

99% sure they do. It's only pressure and volume that are affected by only gases, right?

I'd like a fourth opinion on this though.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

99% sure they do. It's only pressure and volume that are affected by only gases, right?

I'd like a fourth opinion on this though.
Yeah, that's correct.
(sorry for breaking chain)

superSAIyan2

HSC

A solution is not the same as a liquid.
I think Heroic is right. Liquids have a constant concentration and will not affect equilibrium. Only the addition/removal of gases and aqueous solutions do have an effect.

Edit: for industrial students, remember when you calculate K you only factor in gases and aqueous solns

Last edited:

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

I think Heroic is right. Liquids have a constant concentration and will not affect equilibrium. Only the addition/removal of gases and aqueous solutions do have an effect.
Oh right different things my bad.
Note to self: Never challenge Heroic again

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Edit: for industrial students, remember when you calculate K you only factor in gases and aqueous solns
Ahhh yess my bad

bedpotato

HSC

Hmm, okay.

CO2 + H2O <---> H2CO3
So, adding water won't affect the equilibtrium?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I gave him 1 mark because he didn't answer the question. It's not unusual.

You can lose 6 marks from a 7 marker if you don't include at least 2 correct equations if it says to include "equations".

so no, 1/5 is not harsh at all. In my opinion, I feel that it's hardly deserving of even that.

superSAIyan2

HSC

Lol now im confused about the whole liquids thing. In esterification the textbook says that a sulfuric acid catalyst is used to remove water from the system to shift the equilibrium to favour ester yield. But liquids aren't supposed to affect equilibrium position.

Does this mean water is a gas? or is it because removing water will increase the concentration of the alkanoic acid (which is an aqueous solution) and this will shift the equilibrium to favour the ester yield?

bedpotato

HSC

Lol now im confused about the whole liquids thing. In esterification the textbook says that a sulfuric acid catalyst is used to remove water from the system to shift the equilibrium to favour ester yield. But liquids aren't supposed to affect equilibrium position.

Does this mean water is a gas? or is it because removing water will increase the concentration of the alkanoic acid (which is an aqueous solution) and this will shift the equilibrium to favour the ester yield?
If so, can't this be applied to other liquids as well?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

chm so cnfsing

y u do dis chm ;(

bangladesh

HSC

LOL. I don't do industrial so I'm not confused at all hehe.
As for the CO2 + H2O <---> H2CO3
Adding water shifts the equilibrium to the right as far as I know.

superSAIyan2

HSC

maybe water is the only liquid that can affect an equilibrium, even though it has a constant concentration. I think that the proper explanation is that adding water will decrease the concetration of H2CO3 which causes the equilibrium to shift right

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Looking back, it's dodgy to say that water affects equilibrium in this case because it's separated into a different phase - the ester isn't soluble in water and vice versa. But yes, H2SO4 is hydrophilic and will help pull water out of the ester.

However, water can affect equilibrium - liquid only don't affect equilibrium when them main equilibrium is established in a gas phase (Haber process). If the NH3 condensed out of the reaction vessel, it wouldn't affect equilibrium. In fact, only solids don't affect equilibrium.

Using NaCl and CH3COOH as examples:

NaCl(s)⇌Na+(aq)+Cl-(aq)
In a saturated solution, there is equilibrium between aqueous sodium chloride and solid sodium chloride. Adding more solid sodium chloride will not affect equilibrium.

CH3COOH+H2O⇌H3O++CH3COO-
Add more water and you shift equilibrium to the right.

Clearly, liquids CAN affect equilibrium, so can gases.

In general, it just depends on where the equilibrium is established - if the equilibrium is established in the gas phase, liquids and solids won't affect it. If the equilibrium is established in the liquid phase, gases and solids won't affect it.

Clear?

Last edited:

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC

Looking back, it's dodgy to say that water affects equilibrium in this case because it's separated into a different phase - the ester isn't soluble in water and vice versa. But yes, H2SO4 is hydrophilic and will help pull water out of the ester.

However, water can affect equilibrium - liquid only don't affect equilibrium when them main equilibrium is established in a gas phase (Haber process). If the NH3 condensed out of the reaction vessel, it wouldn't affect equilibrium. In fact, only solids don't affect equilibrium.

NaCl(s)⇌Na+(aq)+Cl-(aq)
In a saturated solution, there is equilibrium between aqueous sodium chloride and solid sodium chloride. Adding more solid sodium chloride will not affect equilibrium.

CH3COOH+H2O⇌H3O++CH3COO-
Soooo liquids don't affect equilibrium?

edit:nvm just saw your edit

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC

NaCl(s)⇌Na+(aq)+Cl-(aq)

CH3COOH+H2O⇌H3O++CH3COO-

Clearly, liquids CAN affect equilibrium, so can gases.

In general, it just depends on where the equilibrium is established - if the equilibrium is established in the gas phase, liquids and solids won't affect it. If the equilibrium is established in the liquid phase, gases and solids won't affect it.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)