HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhertec

HSC
re: HSC Chemistry Marathon Archive

Not Soccer, but
Buffer systems are solutions which contain a weak acid and its conjugate base, or vice versa (weak base and conjugate acid) in equilibrium. As the system is in equilibrium, it is able to moderate pH Not moderate pH, but resist the change in the pH.. An example is the natural buffer system which exists in marine bodies Name the buffer pair: in this case - Carbonic acid/Hydrogen Carbonate.(where the system <----> means equilibrium~)

H2CO3 (aq) + H20 (l) <-- --> H30+ (aq) + HCO3- (aq)

If there is an increase of acid Be specific of what an acid is in terms of the equation i.e. how does an acid affect this buffer system, such as acid rain acting on aquatic environments, The addition of Hydronium ions in the buffer system will cause the buffer system above will shift to the left according to Le Chatiler's Principle which denotes that is a system is in equilibrium and encounters a disturbance, then the system will shift in the direction to minimise the disturbance. By shifting to the left, the concentration of hydronium decreases, hence nullifies the addition of an acid.

What if a base is added to the buffer system, you have to explain this and how does the buffer pair counteract this to minimise the increase in pH.

Buffer systems can although moderate resist would be more of a correct term to use small changes in pH the change in pH to an extent, upon reaching it's breaking point If the acid/conjugate base or the converse, is depleted - the point where it is unable to counteract any further additional changes to the pH, the pH (of in this example, freshwater lakes and rivers) will rise or drop if a large amount of acid is added to the solution regardless.
Edited it a bit, but overall nice work, just need to work more on how it counteracts change, and add more equations on how it neutralises bases.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

I don't think the statement can be valid, because you can have neutral solutions where the solvent isn't water, can't you? These solutions wouldn't be pure water.
Also, pH is dependant on temperature. Pure water only has pH 7 at room temperature I think.
I agree with this, the other responses are sloppy. pH is a measure of [H+], to determine whether something is acidic or not, you also need to consider [OH-]. Pure water is neutral at every temperature but pH is not 7 at every temperature.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Ok decent, but missing quite a few things. I've just edited some stuff in your answer above for some stuff you could add in to make your answer more complete, but not all of it is necessary. Probably around 3/5 at the moment.
For cellulose, you MUST write it as (C6H10O5)n.

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

Assess the potential of cellulose in being used as a raw material for the production of petrochemicals. (5 marks)
Petrochemicals are currently mainly being produced from non-renewable resources / crude oil, which is estimated to run out within the next few decades. In addition to this not being sustainable the use of crude oil also means an increasing cost as supply runs lower, an unstable supply from producers and unclean source of petrochemicals. One alternative to this is cellulose is a naturally occurring condensation polymer made of Beta-Glucose monomers. The procedure to produce ethanol from cellulose is to first break it into glucose monomers by using enzymatic or strong acid digestion and then seperating the glucose into CO2 and ethanol. (C6H12O6(aq) > C2H6O(aq) + 2CO2(g))
It is seen as a possible replacement because it is abundant, it contains all the carbon-chain structures needed for the production of petrochemicals and is produced by plants, via photosynthesis in biomass (50% of biomass is cellulose) - hence its' abundance and also its' renewable nature, unlike crude oil. However, there are also multiple issues concerning the use of cellulose, this includes the fact that it is far more expensive than crude oil and also that the process of extracting and cracking cellulose into petrochemicals uses more oil than is received than petrochemicals received. Hence, currently cellulose is not a viable alternative due to its' cost, however, due to the unsuitability of crude oil it may be looked into further in the future and hence the issues may be overcome, however, it is very unlikely to run out unlike crude oil.
You really didn't need to include lengthy statements about the current non-renewable sources of petrochemicals from crude oil. Would have sufficed to say something like, "with our rapidly depleting reserves of fossil fuels, alternative sources of the products from the petrochemical industry must be found"..... then assess cellulose. Depletion of fossil fuels is more of an indirect advantage for switching to cellulose.
There was no point in mentioning the structure of cellulose as it isn't relevant to the question, unless you somehow elaborate on it e.g why it may affect it potential use as a replacement for the petrochemical industry.
You could include the equation for acid hydrolysis. Also be careful with your equation for fermentation, it's not balanced.
Cellulose possesses C-C bonds specifically that are desired to eventually produce things like ethene (petrochemical). Cellulose is derived from plants, which can be regrown (renewable), but much arable land is required (disadvantage).
You said since cellulose is derived from plants and since plants undergo photosynthesis, hence it is an abundant and renewable resource, which really isn't a valid statement (you don't even need to explain it, just say the crops can be regrown and are renewable unlike fossil fuels).
Could include that this process is theoretically greenhouse neutral, as there is no net CO2 emission since fermentation releases CO2, but it will be recycled by plants for photosynthesis.
A little confused by the next point, cellulose is fairly easy/cheap to produce, but the expense/inefficency comes in the processes (acid hydrolysis/fermentation/dehydration) required to get it to ethanol/plastics. May also want to include the distillation of C2H60(aq)-->C2H60(l) and it's difficulties, then dehyration of ethanol into ethene which requires certain conditions that i can't remember and H2SO4(conc) as a catalyst.
There was no point in repeating"cellulose is not a viable alternative due to its cost" since you already stated this. Your connective word "however" was again kind of misused, in the end you can just say something like "from the above mentioned arguments (or something like that), cellulose's role in the petrochemical industry may be given more usage in the future if methods become more efficient/economically viable.". Overall, you have the assess part down, but you should kind of condense/shorten your response. You won't be able to write in such detail/perfect grammar in the actual exam, so just get straight to the point with chemistry/assess and include the relevant chemical equations. You'll decide to include or not include some of the information depending on the question and number of marks allocated. Enigma_1 had a pretty good response for the question.

Last edited:

Kaido

be.
HSC

Never head of curium, lol.
Neptunium:
-Uranium 238 bombarded with a neutron in a nuclear reactor to create Uranium 239
-Decays into Neptunium + beta particle

Drsoccerball

HSC

Explain how titration is used to measure pH. 2 Marks

zhertec

HSC

[H+] is not proportional to pH, just look at the formula.
10^(-pH) = hydronium concentration
Inverse proportion no...? Or am I doing something wrong here again...

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

Never head of curium, lol.
Neptunium:
-Uranium 238 bombarded with a neutron in a nuclear reactor to create Uranium 239
-Decays into Neptunium + beta particle
Have a look at the periodic table, you lazy bum!

It is Z > 95, so tell me what has to happen for those elements to be created :)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC

I did, it's in the brackets. You could talk about any legitimate use, which is what I was saying for like five pages of fighting haha
Yeah, thank gosh it's settled now though haha. It just shows how strange chemistry marking criterion can be. But yeah combining syllabus dot points is absolutely fine - in fact I'd think this shows a depth of understanding (ie conversion of ethanol into ethylene via dehydration) that just stating the 2 widely known uses of ethanol.

The answers here are succinct and detailed.. How do i achieve such responses?
This will usually come with practice. Definitely use this thread where people are willing to help out with structuring answers etc :) But I can assure you that the main thing is to read through lots of marking criteria for different questions and doing countless questions (structuring your answers either mentally/dot points/ or actually writing them out). After a while (after perusing lots of marking criterion and sample answers for chem), you will develop a knack for how to answer questions to get the top marks. Keep practising :)

Kaido

be.
HSC

Have a look at the periodic table, you lazy bum!

It is Z > 95, so tell me what has to happen for those elements to be created :)
How'd you know :(

Ok, Z>95 are produced within particle accelerators - By accelerating the nucleus of a smaller element into a heavier element to produce the Curium.

Drsoccerball

HSC

We just need to finish titrations and esters and were finished acidic so post acidic questions :D

SuchSmallHands

HSC

No calculation based questions here yet, I'll give you guys an easy one

Calculate the E0 value of the following electrochemical process:
Cu(s) + 2Ag+(aq) -----> 2Ag(s) + Cu^2+(aq)

Drsoccerball

HSC

No calculation based questions here yet, I'll give you guys an easy one

Calculate the E0 value of the following electrochemical process:
Cu(s) + 2Ag+(aq) -----> 2Ag(s) + Cu^2+(aq)
Can you use Latex for these type of question.

Drsoccerball

HSC

Find the pH of a 0.17 mol/L solution without using log.(Use Ln)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)