HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
re: HSC Chemistry Marathon Archive

You are given unknown solutions of sodium carbonate, sodium chloride and potassium sulfate, and you do not know which one is which.

You are then given nitric acid, silver nitrate, and barium nitrate.

(i) Design a suitable method using your known solutions to determine which unknown solution is which. (3)
(ii) Write suitable chemical equations to support your expected observations. (2)

Forgive me, I've only just started chemical monitoring & management.

trumanblack

HSC
N/A

Quick question, how would you draw a flow-chart to acceptable HSC chemistry standards? I know obviously to use a ruler and pencil and such, but any other specifications? e.g. separate shapes to distinguish added chemicals to processes? acceptable to have chemical equations hanging on the side?

Kaido

be.
HSC

You are given unknown solutions of sodium carbonate, sodium chloride and potassium sulfate, and you do not know which one is which.

(i) Design a suitable method using your known solutions to determine which unknown solution is which. (3)
(ii) Write suitable chemical equations to support your expected observations. (2)

simply refer to the solubility table + tests for common cations/anions

Kaido

be.
HSC

Quick question, how would you draw a flow-chart to acceptable HSC chemistry standards? I know obviously to use a ruler and pencil and such, but any other specifications? e.g. separate shapes to distinguish added chemicals to processes? acceptable to have chemical equations hanging on the side?
No, there's no need to be fancy or anything like that.
Communicate your knowledge in a clear and concise manner through neat diagrams is enough

Drsoccerball

HSC

i) Mix the Nitric acid in the solution if it bubbles theres carbonate present Sodium Carbonate

ii) Mix sodium chloride and if a white precipitate forms the solution is Silver nitrate

iii) Mix barium nitrate into the solution and if a white precipitate forms it is potassium sulfate

Drsoccerball

HSC

Never used a pencil for diagrams or a ruler :L...

liquid_soda

HSC

Aren't we only supposed to use dark pen in all external hsc exams? Is pencil even allowed?

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC

I got 7/7 for my freehand pen-drawn table. I doubt they actually care, your not being assessed on how well you can swap stationary devices.

Drsoccerball

HSC

What do you do with a dead chemist

leehuan

HSC

You should know this. If you can't curium, nor can you helium, you have to barium. It appears in the HSC every year!

Ok, no.
-------------------
Outline the most optimal conditions for the production of ammonia in the Haber process. Explain why these conditions are suitable. In your response, make reference to Le Chatelier's principle on the system's equilibrium. (4)

This is a horribly worded question...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)