• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sy37

HSC
re: HSC Chemistry Marathon Archive

Compare and contrast the theories, models and scientific thinkings of Lavoisier, Davy, Arrhenius and Bronsted-Lowry. (8 marks)

AND / OR

Analyse the relationship between the position of elements in the periodic table and the acid/base behaviour of their oxides (4 marks)

kawaiipotato

HSC

New Question: (kudos to addoil) [4 marks]

A student titrated 0.14 M barium hydroxide solution with 22.35mLs of 0.08M nitric acid to the equivalence point.

The student accidentally spilt an excess 13.5mL of barium hydroxide into the mixture.

Calculate the pH of the resulting solution.

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

What i did was:

Not sure if this is right... Also do we multiply by 2 before using log? Since it has two atoms? If so then the answer is:

kawaiipotato

HSC

Not sure if this is right... Also do we multiply by 2 before using log? Since it has two atoms? If so then the answer is:

Ah yeah we should multiply by 2 before using the log. I got a lower answer (pH 13.28)

Last edited:

Ekman

HSC

New Question: (kudos to addoil) [4 marks]

A student titrated 0.14 M barium hydroxide solution with 22.35mLs of 0.08M nitric acid to the equivalence point.

The student accidentally spilt an excess 13.5mL of barium hydroxide into the mixture.

Calculate the pH of the resulting solution.
I got 11.57, not sure why people are making equations, because the question said that it accidently excess spilt 13.5 mL, into the mixture, indicating that the guy spilt extra Ba(OH)2 into the already neutralised solution. Unless I interpreted the question wrong

Edit: My bad, I forgot to divide by volume and used moles instead of concentration. I got 12.95 instead

Last edited:

kawaiipotato

HSC

I think you've forgotten to include the 22.35mL present due to the nitric acid when calculating the Total Volume.
Oops you're right. Forgot and only added the barium hydroxide volumes.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

I got 11.57, not sure why people are making equations, because the question said that it accidently excess spilt 13.5 mL, into the mixture, indicating that the guy spilt extra Ba(OH)2 into the already neutralised solution. Unless I interpreted the question wrong

Edit: My bad, I forgot to divide by volume and used moles instead of concentration. I got 12.95 instead
Answer is 12.95.

Perhaps post your working seeing as others have come up with incorrect answers! :)

Drsoccerball

HSC

Biggest reading troll... So its just basically asking you to calculate the pH of 13.5 mL of Barium hydroxide...?

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad

Biggest reading troll... So its just basically asking you to calculate the pH of 13.5 mL of Barium hydroxide...?
Can't do it without knowing the total volume of solution though. Which means you need to figure out the volume of Ba(OH)2 added initially. It was originally a multi-part question, but I made it as one :)

rand_althor

HSC

I think you need to use all the given information. What I did was:
1. Find the volume (V1) of Barium hydroxide required to react completely with the Nitric acid
2. Find the amount of moles in 13.5 mL of 0.14M Barium hydroxide
3. Work out the concentration of the excess Barium hydroxide using c=n/V, where V = 13.5mL + 22.25mL + V1
4. Find pOH using pOH=-log[OH-] and then pH using pH + pOH = 14

leehuan

HSC

I doubt the chemistry exam will be that trollful. Also they tend to focus more on pH of acids than of bases, even if it's easy to say pH + pOH = 14

Mr_Kap

HSC

I think you need to use all the given information. What I did was:
1. Find the volume (V1) of Barium hydroxide required to react completely with the Nitric acid
2. Find the amount of moles in 13.5 mL of 0.14M Barium hydroxide
3. Work out the concentration of the excess Barium hydroxide using c=n/V, where V = 13.5mL + 22.25mL + V1
4. Find pOH using pOH=-log[OH-] and then pH using pH + pOH = 14

WHAT is STEP 4!?!?!?!
pOH??
We only learnt pH at school. Please someone explain pOH to me, i had no idea it was in the course.

leehuan

HSC

Your teacher should've either skimmed over pH + pOH = 14, or [H3O+][OH-]=10^-14mol^2L^-2
I don't recall seeing it get examined though.

AND / OR

Analyse the relationship between the position of elements in the periodic table and the acid/base behaviour of their oxides (4 marks)
I think this was unanswered.

However, I would like to comment on the unlikelihood of an 8 marker on all theories. It would be a 3 marker on B-L by itself, or a 6 marker addressing all three others.

kowaidesuka

HSC

WHAT is STEP 4!?!?!?!
pOH??
We only learnt pH at school. Please someone explain pOH to me, i had no idea it was in the course.
pOH is a measure of the concentration of hydroxide ions. I think there's a section on it in Conquering Chem if you use that textbook.

Mr_Kap

HSC

Your teacher should've either skimmed over pH + pOH = 14, or [H3O+][OH-]=10^-14mol^2L^-2

However, I would like to comment on the unlikelihood of an 8 marker on all theories. It would be a 3 marker on B-L by itself, or a 6 marker addressing all three others.
Can someone answer this lavoisier, Davy, arrhenius and bronsted-lowry one, saying a limitation of each.

I always get confused between davy and arrhenius.

leehuan

HSC

I completely forgot I actually answered this question already.

Past theories of acids and bases tend to purely rely on what was believed to be the chemical composition of all acids and their properties. Lavoisier's theory stated that acids were substances which contained hydrogen, as he found that when compounds involving oxygen dissolved in water, they produced acidic properties, such as CO2, NO2 and P4O10. This also meant that some acids were recognised to be acids, e.g. H2SO4. However, this is now known to be significantly flawed, as some substances containing oxygen are in fact basic (e.g. Na2CO3, Na2O) and why some other acids did not contain oxygen (e.g. HCl). Davy then proposed that acids were substances that contained hydrogen through the discovery of HCl, through means of dissolving gaseous hydrogen chloride into water and producing a highly acidic solution. Davy also found that metals could displace the hydrogen in acids: Metal + Acid -> Salt + Hydrogen gas. Yet, this was also flawed because other substances such as CH4 are not acidic, yet also contain hydrogen.
Arrhenius then developed a theory that was, at the time, much more revolutionary and a more accurate definition of acids, and bases. Arrhenius showed that acids were substances that when dissolved in water, ionised to form H+ ions, and similarly for bases albeit OH- ions. Arrhenius was also able to initiate the definitions of relative strengths of acids through his theory from an understanding of degrees of ionisation, and also demonstrated how acids and bases can undergo a neutralisation process: Acid + Base -> Salt + Water. This is reasonably accurate, and is sometimes taught as a simplified model of how acids and bases work, however it did not cater for other bases such a Na2CO3 and NH3.
The most accurate definition of acids and bases was proposed by Johannes Bronsted and Thomas Lowry. The Bronsted-Lowry theory defines acids and bases in terms of their chemical behaviour, that is, acids were substances that could donate a proton/protons, whereas bases could accept them. This theory focused much more on the properties of acids and bases rather than their chemical composition and an understanding of what conjugate acids and bases were. By consideration of the ability to donate/accept H+, it was then finally understood why substances were acidic, basic or neutral. (It also led into the identification of amphiprotic species with reference conjugate acids and bases.)

leehuan

HSC

"Analyse the relationship between the position of elements in the periodic table and the acid/base behaviour of their oxides"
Across a period: Oxides of metals tend to be basic and will dissolve in water to form the basic hydroxide ion, or undergo reactions acid. Across the period, the oxides tend to gain acidity. Sulfur dioxide, for example, is an acidic oxide, which dissolves in water to form the acidic hydronium ion or undergo reactions with bases.
Na2O(s) + H2O(l) -> 2NaOH(aq)
SO2(g) + H2O(l) -> H2SO3(aq)
Some oxides found near the middle of the periodic table such as ZnO are amphoteric. These oxides can exhibit acidic or basic properties.
ZnO(s) + 2HCl(aq) -> ZnCl2(aq) + 2H2O(l)
ZnO(s) + 2 NaOH(aq) + H2O(l) → Na2[Zn(OH)4](aq)

I forgot what happens down a group.

Last edited:

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC

NEXT QUESTION:
1. Compare polyvinyl chloride and polystyrene in terms of the process of producing these polymers. (3)
2. Outline properties of one of the above polymers and relate uses to these properties. (3)
1. Polyvinyl chloride and polystyrene are both addition polymers formed from the polymerisation of vinyl chloride (chloroethene) and styrene (ethenylbenzene) respectively. Both processes involve using an organic peroxide radical to initiate the process of addition polymerisation. In addition, polystyrene, if heated, can have gas pumped into it in order to form a foam upon cooling; this method is not used for polyvinyl chloride. (I don't really know what else to write, given that we aren't required to know the specifics of the production process for these polymers)

2. Polystyrene is a brittle, hard plastic, and is thus used for CD cases, computer casing and plastic drinking cups. In addition, polystyrene foam is a good heat insulator and absorbs shock; hence it is used for packaging and for Styrofoam drinking cups.

Next question:
2014 HSC Q31 - With reference to the underlying chemistry and with relevant equations, assess the impacts on society of TWO uses of ethanol. 7 marks

leehuan

HSC

Yep. Looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)