HSC 2012-2015 Chemistry Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
re: HSC Chemistry Marathon Archive

I'm nowhere near as smart as you guys in physics and chemistry. No way :(

I'm only aiming for a band 5 in these courses.

(I'm really just taking it chill, because I know I can get a 91 ATAR and an E4 in MX2)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A

(I'm really just taking it chill, because I know I can get a 91 ATAR and an E4 in MX2)
At the end of the day Lee, you are 'playing the HSC game'-Crisium

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

(a) Explain why refluxing is a suitable means of preparing an ester. (3)
(b) Name the catalyst used. (1)
(c) Give a method to how this experiment should be performed. (5)
(d) Sometimes, it helps to wash the ester with Na2CO3 or NaHCO3. Why is this the case? (2)
Here's my practical report on this if anyone needs information:

5.1 Preparation of an Ester

Aim:

To prepare an ester using reflux.

Equipment:

• Reaction Flask

• Boiling Chips

• Condenser With Water Hoses

• Heating Mantle

• Separating Funnel With a Stopper

• 2 x Bosshead

• Retort Stand

• Distilled Water

• 1 ml Solution of Concentrated Sulphuric Acid

• 10 ml Solution of 1-Pentanol

• 12 ml Solution of Glacial Acetic Acid

• 15 ml Solution of 0.1 mol L-1 Sodium Carbonate

Note: Glacial acetic acid is the most concentrated form of acetic acid.

Method:

1) Place 10 ml of 1-Pentanol, 12 ml of glacial acetic acid and 1 ml of concentrated sulphuric acid into the reaction flask.

2) Add a few boiling chips, which are not made of marble, and assemble the refluxing apparatus. Clamp the flask and condenser securely to a retort stand by using the bossheads.

3) Connect the tubing to the tap and the condenser, and turn the tap on so that a uniform flow of water is achieved.

4) Heat the mixture in a heating mantle for approximately 30 minutes and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Turn off the water, as the refluxing apparatus is no longer required.

5) Carefully remove the flask and pour the contents into a separating funnel containing 15 ml of water. Put the stopper on the funnel and shake it. Allow the layers to separate, and drain off and discard the lower aqueous layer.

6) Add approximately 15 ml of 0.1 mol L-1 sodium carbonate solution. Put the stopper on the funnel and shake it. Allow the layers to separate, and drain off and discard the lower aqueous layer. The remaining solution in the separating funnel is the ester.

7) Carefully smell the ester and describe the smell.

Apparatus.png

Safety:

Concentrated sulphuric acid and glacial acetic acid are corrosive, and so handle with care by avoiding contact with skin. If contact occurs, wash the affected area with plenty of water. 1-Pentanol and 1-Pentyl Ethanoate are flammable so avoid contact with naked flames.

Results:

The ester formed smelt similar to that of the fruit, banana.

Discussion / Conclusion:

In this experiment, the independent variable was the type of alkanol and alkanoic acid used, whilst the dependent variable was the odour of the ester formed. The ester was successfully created and smelt of banana. The boiling chips were added to the reaction flask so as to facilitate a slow and gentle heating. By placing distilled water in the separating funnel prior to adding the contents of the reaction flask, the purity of the ester was increased since all the reactants and products except for the ester are water soluble, hence they are immiscible with the ester. Furthermore, the ester is also less dense and floated on top, allowing the aqueous reactants to be drained off. Finally, the base was added to neutralise any acid remaining in the mixture. The high temperature allowed for a faster rate of reaction, and thus equilibrium could be reached much faster. Moreover, esterification is an endothermic reaction, so by increasing the heat, equilibrium will encourage the forward reaction, hence increasing the yield of the ester. The addition of the sulphuric acid catalyst increased the rate of reaction, and thus equilibrium could be reached much faster. Moreover, as concentrated sulphuric acid is a powerful dehydrating agent, the concentration of the product water is reduced, and hence equilibrium will encourage the forward reaction, thus increasing the yield of the ester. Refluxing ensures that the condenser captures the volatile reactants and products (These are flammable and involve the alkanol, alkanoic acid and ester), returning them into the reaction mixture, and also prevents the build-up of pressure in a closed reaction vessel.

Apologies for it being bad expression-wise, I haven't gone back to fixing up these notes in ages ~

EDIT:

With my conclusion/discussion I don't tend to involve validity, etc. I just add in things that I may have to refer to in the exam but can relate it to validity, etc.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

Don't give up just yet man

Keep going at it and you'll have a solid chance at band 6'ing them!

At the end of the day Lee, you are 'playing the HSC game'-Crisium
huehuehue

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A

(I'm really just taking it chill, because I know I can get a 91 ATAR and an E4 in MX2
My life in a nutshell.

Don't give up just yet man

Keep going at it and you'll have a solid chance at band 6'ing them!
Idk if you have noticed but some of the sample answers in the CSSA trial paper my teacher gave our class are literally too long for the shortest amount of lines on a 4-5 marker or the other way around lol

Drsoccerball

HSC

My life in a nutshell.

Idk if you have noticed but some of the sample answers in the CSSA trial paper my teacher gave our class are literally too long for the shortest amount of lines on a 4-5 marker or the other way around lol
HARD it pisses me off when a 6 marker's solution is 2 lines...

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC

My life in a nutshell.

m9 stop doubting yourself, you're gonna smash the HSC!

If anyone should be having doubts I honestly think that it should be me, especially after my poor performance in the last set of exams (I got too complacent after half-yearlies)

Yeah chem and phys tend to be like that

My school marks harder than the HSC so when I see an outline two marker I have to treat it like a describe four marker (fullsrs)

This is why I'm glad they give you those extra writing books in the HSC :)

leehuan

HSC

Lol I go to a Catholic school. (That's why on the posts I leave my signature there it says SOR.) Looking at CSSA solutions is always like "ugh.."

Alright guys we're digressing haha

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A

HARD it pisses me off when a 6 marker's solution is 2 lines...
ROFL u srs

Yeah chem and phys tend to be like that

My school marks harder than the HSC so when I see an outline two marker I have to treat it like a describe four marker (fullsrs)

This is why I'm glad they give you those extra writing books in the HSC :)
Idk, that's the thing, BOSTES wants us to write within the lines and then we have to include as much relevant info as possible

lol, this is why I despise hsc science

SilentWaters

HSC

"Stick to one side"

Just to clear up what seems to be a vaguely articulated debate about the health effects of radioisotopes - first of all, it's the ionizing ability and not the penetrating power that's the real concern here. Radioisotopes knock electrons off atoms, which gives rise to harmful tissue reactions and cancerous mutations in the cells of the body. Gamma emitters are not as densely ionizing as, say, beta emitters, since the latter give off particles with mass, which in turn collide with the same number of particles as a gamma ray, over a much shorter distance (quickly losing what little energy it has relative to the gamma ray). On a per volume basis, therefore, beta particles are more harmful than gamma rays because most of their energy can be absorbed within a locale of tissue. Gamma rays are readily dispersed throughout the body, and thus their energy spreads more widely, leaving a lower concentration of their ions behind. If anything, their penetrating power makes them less harmful than beta particles over any given period of time. However, over longer periods of exposure, total ionization from a gamma emitter could reach dangerous levels. Any proper health institution would at least try to keep exposure time to a level where the health effects are manageable. Making statistical declarations like "increasing cancer rates and strain on the healthcare system due to overuse of technetium-99m" would be an insult to healthcare and the isotope alike.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC

New question:

Describe a first hand investigation that involves sulfuric acid acting as an oxidising agent and describe ways in which the accuracy and reliability of your results could be improved. 6 Marks

trumanblack

HSC
N/A

Wanted to ask this question because I've just looked at a sample solution and it differed from what I had learnt...

Q. Explain why equimolar solutions of hydrochloric acid, acetic acid and citric acid have differing pH values (3marks)

rand_althor

HSC

Wanted to ask this question because I've just looked at a sample solution and it differed from what I had learnt...

Q. Explain why equimolar solutions of hydrochloric acid, acetic acid and citric acid have differing pH values (3marks)
Although they have the same concentrations, the degree of ionisiation differs for each acid, hence they have different pH values. Hydrochloric acid is a strong acid, which means it ionises completely. . Citric acid is a weak, tripotic acid, which means it ionises partially to release 3 hydrogen ions. . Acetic acid is a weak monoprotic acid, which means it ionises partially to release 1 hydrogen ion. . Thus even if the acids have equal concentrations, Hydrochloric acid will have the lowest pH, as it has the highest hydronium concentration, Acetic acid will have the highest pH, as it has the lowest hydronium concentration, and Citric acid will have a pH between the other two, as it has a hydronium concentration between the other two.

Last edited:

trumanblack

HSC
N/A

This is exactly what I had been taught as well. BUT when I looked at a James Ruse (2012?) solution, they talked about how between citric&acetic, it was electronegativity that contributed to acid strength as opposed to the triprotic nature of citric acid...

rand_althor

HSC

This is the solution you're talking about right?
"HCl is a strong acid which completely ionizes in solution and so the hydrogen ion concentration is equal to the concentration of the acid. Acetic and citric acid are weak acids which do not completely ionize in solution. The hydrogen ion concentration of a 0.1M acetic acid is less than that of a 0.1M citric acid NOT because citric acid is triprotic and acetic acid is monoprotic. Strength depends on the polarity of the OH bond which is affected by a variety of factors; notably the electronegativity of the group attached to the carboxyl group, the greater the electronegativity, the stronger the acid. This is the reason why trichloroacetic acid (monoprotic) i sstronger than citric acid (triprotic)"

I've never been told about how strength depends on the polarity of the OH bond.

However, see Question 24 of the 2004 Chemistry HSC.

You can clearly see the relative pH of each acid. Also, the marking criteria only mentions ionisation, so I guess your answer would be fine.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC

We must make sure we consider the consecutive ionisations of citric acid - while the first ionisation equilibrium lies to the left, the 2nd and 3rd lie even more to the left. Hence, the difference between pH of acetic acid and citric acid is NOT simply because one is triprotic and the other mono, but because of the overall differences in degree of ionisation.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Although they have the same concentrations, the degree of ionisiation differs for each acid, hence they have different pH values. Hydrochloric acid is a strong acid, which means it ionises completely. . Citric acid is a weak, tripotic acid, which means it ionises partially to release 3 hydrogen ions. . Acetic acid is a weak monoprotic acid, which means it ionises partially to release 1 hydrogen ion. . Thus even if the acids have equal concentrations, Hydrochloric acid will have the lowest pH, as it has the highest hydronium concentration, Acetic acid will have the highest pH, as it has the lowest hydronium concentration, and Citric acid will have a pH between the other two, as it has a hydronium concentration between the other two.
I would be a tiny bit clearer and say "up to 1 proton" or "up to 3 protons" because without it, it implies that it partially ionises but always releases 1 or 3 protons, respectively.

rand_althor

HSC

I would be a tiny bit clearer and say "up to 1 proton" or "up to 3 protons" because without it, it implies that it partially ionises but always releases 1 or 3 protons, respectively.
Okay, thanks for the feedback!

Drsoccerball

HSC

Lets get the ball rolling again:
Outline the industrial process of the production of ethanol from the fermentation of sugar cane. 2 marks LOL in the exam only one person got 2 i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)