HSC 2012 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: 2012 HSC MX2 Marathon

I've spared the messy algebra...

The addition/product of roots would work also I think.

Last edited:

Inference

HSC
N/A

Why don't we add some pure maths questions in here,

here's a fave one of mine, combinatorics

A permutation of the set where is a positive integer, is said to have property if for at least one . Show that, for each , there are more permutations with property than without.

Hint: Indicator functions will help, and think about counting sets

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Why don't we add some pure maths questions in here,

here's a fave one of mine, combinatorics

A permutation of the set where is a positive integer, is said to have property if for at least one . Show that, for each , there are more permutations with property than without.

Hint: Indicator functions will help, and think about counting sets
If you want some Pure Maths questions unrelated to the HSC, then feel free to make your own thread in the 'Extracurricular Maths' section: http://community.boredofstudies.org/forumdisplay.php?f=238

Inference

HSC
N/A

Thanks, but it is related to the HSC albeit a fair extension.

You guys do combinatorics in the HSC right? The above question can be solved purely combinatorially.

barbernator

HSC

Thanks, but it is related to the HSC albeit a fair extension.

You guys do combinatorics in the HSC right? The above question can be solved purely combinatorially.
we learn factorial notation for combs and perms and how to apply them, that is about all lol.

Inference

HSC
N/A

Ah right I see, okay I guess it is a fair stretch then, maybe a bit of wishful thinking can lead somewhere ;)

httton

HSC

Hey guys just two questions

1/ what are some ways to determine whether a question should be done with shells or slices
2/ if I'm given a shape like x^2(6-x^2) find area enclosed in 1st quadrant rotated about the y axis how do I go about it?

bleakarcher

HSC

^ cylindrical shells would be easier there

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Hey guys just two questions

1/ what are some ways to determine whether a question should be done with shells or slices
2/ if I'm given a shape like x^2(6-x^2) find area enclosed in 1st quadrant rotated about the y axis how do I go about it?
Generally, rotation around a line parallel to the Y axis is more easily done using Shells.

X axis is more easily done using Slicing.

But of course both will yield correct answers (but one will yield a harder integral than the other).

Example: Rotate the area bounded by the curve y=-x(x-1) and the X axis, around the line x=2.

If you use Slicing, you will need to eventually use the Quadratic formula. and then integrate that expression.

httton

HSC

haha i went out to have a good think and came back with the same idea!

for the others, essentially try to have your slice correspond to 1 x to 1 y values each

seanieg89

HSC

When thinking about whether shells or annuli will be more efficient, consider the resulting integrands. There will generally be a sort of inverse relation between our integrands (as we are integrating in perpendicular directions for these two methods), and we prefer to have things like tan(x) in our integrand rather than tan^{-1}(x).

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

This one might look like it is beyond the course but it can be solved using methods within the scope of Ext2 level.

Suppose that f(x) is an even function. Show that

Hence evaluate

Last edited:

Fus Ro Dah

HSC

This one might look like it is beyond the course but it can be solved using methods within the scope of Ext2 level.

Suppose that f(x) is an even function. Show that

Hence evaluate

First part split the integral as two terms then the integral with the i in it cancels out due to the sine function and we are left with 2x integral of f(x)cos(x). Second part use the property f(x) = f(a-x), add the two integrals, the icos(x) term cancels and the result follows.

I am a bit skeptical regarding this question being within Ext2 level without proper justification because we are taking the Riemann integral of a complex-valued function. It may require justification that it works in this case because is a vector space. Other students might get confused about having an i in the integral.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A

First part split the integral as two terms then the integral with the i in it cancels out due to the sine function and we are left with 2x integral of f(x)cos(x). Second part use the property f(x) = f(a-x), add the two integrals, the icos(x) term cancels and the result follows.

I am a bit skeptical regarding this question being within Ext2 level without proper justification because we are taking the Riemann integral of a complex-valued function. It may require justification that it works in this case because is a vector space. Other students might get confused about having an i in the integral.
yeah I agree with with you, the question seems like it isnt in the scope of the ext 2 course

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Okay made it heaps easier...

Suppose that f(x) is an even function and k is a constant. Show that

Hence evaluate

Last edited:

bleakarcher

HSC

can you treat 'i' as a constant?

seanieg89

HSC

Might as well bring this back to life.

Prove that the polynomial

has no real roots. (Where n is a non-negative integer.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)