• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2013 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

braintic

HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2013 4U Marathon

Since sin^2(0) = cos^2 (90), sin^2 (3) = cos^2 (87), sin^2 (6) = cos^2 (84), sin^2 (93) = cos^2 (177), ...
Then the sum of sin^2 is equal to the sum of cos^2.

But the sum of the (sum of sin^2 and cos^2) is the sum of (1) which is 60.
So the answer is 30.
Actually we are summing 61 terms so my answer looks wrong - it should be 30.5
Yet I took the time to add it all up on a calculator and got 30. What's going on here?

seanieg89

HSC

Think about which cos^2(theta) you are pairing up with sin^2(90). You are essentially just double-counting something.

seanieg89

HSC

An infinitesimally small billiard ball is at the edge of a circular table of unit radius and is hit in a direction that makes an acute angle of theta with the radius joining the starting position to the centre of the circle.

Find the minimum, maximum, and average distance of the ball from the centre of the circle. We assume that there is no friction so our ball never slows down.

Describe the set of points that the ball will eventually pass through and how this set depends on theta.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

An infinitesimally small billiard ball is at the edge of a circular table of unit radius and is hit in a direction that makes an acute angle of theta with the radius joining the starting position to the centre of the circle.

Find the minimum, maximum, and average distance of the ball from the centre of the circle. We assume that there is no friction so our ball never slows down.

Describe the set of points that the ball will eventually pass through and how this set depends on theta.
I'll leave the previous question to someone else.

Here are my answers to this one:

Part 1: Congruent Triangle Proof, max and min distance, h is the height of the triangle

Part 2: Average distance

Is the logic correct?

EDIT: Actually...... For the average distance do I have to divide by area of the triangle?
Because integration is just summing the distances, I'm guessing I have to divide by the area....right?

So the new average:

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

I'll leave the previous question to someone else.

Here are my answers to this one:

Part 1: Congruent Triangle Proof, max and min distance, h is the height of the triangle

Part 2: Average distance

Is the logic correct?

EDIT: Actually...... For the average distance do I have to divide by area of the triangle?
Because integration is just summing the distances, I'm guessing I have to divide by the area....right?

So the new average:

Close, but with the "average" part of the question you don't want to be integrating with respect to the angle alpha, you want to integrate w.r.t something that changes at a constant rate with respect to time.

(And you will have to divide by how much this thing changes in one straight-line segment of the trajectory.)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Close, but with the "average" part of the question you don't want to be integrating with respect to the angle alpha, you want to integrate w.r.t something that changes at a constant rate with respect to time.

(And you will have to divide by how much this thing changes in one straight-line segment of the trajectory.)
Why do we need to integrate with respect to something that changes at a constant rate?

seanieg89

HSC

Why do we need to integrate with respect to something that changes at a constant rate?
Because "average" means average with respect to time.

This is a continuous analogue of rolling a dice 5 times, adding the totals and dividing by 5. Each "roll" is given an equal weighting in our average for rolling dice, and similarly, each infinitesimal period of time must be given an equal weighting when taking our continuous average of the distance function. Another way of thinking about it is that alpha will vary faster during the parts of the balls trajectory when it is close to its minimum distance from the origin, and hence the distance at these values of alpha should be "weighted less".

If we integrate with respect to something that changes at a constant rate this is just a linear change of variables away from integrating with respect to time...which is the correct thing to do when we want to take a time average.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Because "average" means average with respect to time.

This is a continuous analogue of rolling a dice 5 times, adding the totals and dividing by 5. Each "roll" is given an equal weighting in our average for rolling dice, and similarly, each infinitesimal period of time must be given an equal weighting when taking our continuous average of the distance function. Another way of thinking about it is that alpha will vary faster during the parts of the balls trajectory when it is close to its minimum distance from the origin, and hence the distance at these values of alpha should be "weighted less".

If we integrate with respect to something that changes at a constant rate this is just a linear change of variables away from integrating with respect to time...which is the correct thing to do when we want to take a time average.
Yep I get it. I'll see what I can do with this though.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Allowing x to be the distance to the point on the circular table to the actual ball, then we have a triangle of sides, d (the distance), x and 1, with angle theta. (I am assuming constant speed for the ball)

So by the cosine rule:

Theta is constant.

Then through a trig substitution after completing the square, you get (if I haven't made any mistakes)

Great question.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC

How many 6-letter words are there whose letters are sorted in alphabetical order, and no letter is repeated? (using a loose definition of 'word')

seanieg89

HSC

There are n people who live in a small town and the probability of any given pair of them being friends is 0.5 (friendship is of course mutual). One of these people is Bob.

a) What is the average number of friends Bob will have?

b) What is the average number of friends that friends of Bob will have?

c) Come up with some sort of heuristic way of explaining what a) and b) tell you.

braintic

HSC
N/A

There are n people who live in a small town and the probability of any given pair of them being friends is 0.5 (friendship is of course mutual). One of these people is Bob.

a) What is the average number of friends Bob will have?

b) What is the average number of friends that friends of Bob will have?

c) Come up with some sort of heuristic way of explaining what a) and b) tell you.
How can one person have an average? Average number of friends per ... what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)