HSC 2015 Economics Marathon (2 Viewers)

Gabriel Moussa

HSC
Re: 2015 HSC Economics Marathon

Describe the effects of product market reform on the performance of the Australian economy (5 marks)

exeternal

HSC
N/A

Describe the effects of product market reform on the performance of the Australian economy (5 marks)
Product market reform such as the National Competition Policy (1995) is an ongoing microeconomics reforms in Australia which regulates PTEs and infrastructure industries in an aim to eliminate anti-competitive behavior such as monopoly pricing and exclusive dealing. By implementing the NCP, the Australian economy's competitiveness has greatly increased, for instance, markets such as electricity and telecommunications have been opened up to competition through third party access. As such, productivity have improved and prices have been lowered for consumers. As a result, individuals within the economy has access to cheaper goods and services, leading to higher standard of living and an overall higher HDI rating. Furthermore, as the efficient industries continue to expand, despite the short term structural changes causing temporary unemployment, in the longer term job opportunities will increase and unemployment in the domestic economy will decrease.

you could also include Trade and Industry Policy but the question says 'reform' not 'reforms' so i'm not sure

Gabriel Moussa

HSC

Product market reform such as the National Competition Policy (1995) is an ongoing microeconomics reforms in Australia which regulates PTEs and infrastructure industries in an aim to eliminate anti-competitive behavior such as monopoly pricing and exclusive dealing. By implementing the NCP, the Australian economy's competitiveness has greatly increased, for instance, markets such as electricity and telecommunications have been opened up to competition through third party access. As such, productivity have improved and prices have been lowered for consumers. As a result, individuals within the economy has access to cheaper goods and services, leading to higher standard of living and an overall higher HDI rating. Furthermore, as the efficient industries continue to expand, despite the short term structural changes causing temporary unemployment, in the longer term job opportunities will increase and unemployment in the domestic economy will decrease.

you could also include Trade and Industry Policy but the question says 'reform' not 'reforms' so i'm not sure
Well done, and by reform i did mean plural,
Remember to link prices to inflationary pressures when you discuss lower prices for consumers (just to keep in tune with the idea of "performance")
For trade reform something simple like
"MER through reduction in protection, opened the domestic market to foreign competition. This has had a substantial effect in lowering inflationary pressures, as increased competitive pressures forced import competing firms to raise productivity and in the long term increase international competitiveness. This will improve long term growth due to an increase in (X-M) as firms gain a comparative advantage.

Also, something less talked about but equally potent is innovation policy.
Innovation policy (grants and subsidies to firms who can innovate)-> encourage business to innovate and remain competitive -> increased quality of life -> possibly environmental sustainability via innovation in "greener methods of production."
Innovation can also tap into global export markets (X-M) and new employment opportunities providing longer term sustainable sources of growth.

Last edited:

Gabriel Moussa

HSC

Evaluate the causes and economic consequences of a "dual labour market" on the Australian economy. 4 marks

spatula232

HSC

So Competition Policy is just generally boosting competition in the economy right?

Ekman

HSC

So Competition Policy is just generally boosting competition in the economy right?
Yeah its all in the name lol. All these MER's and Labour Market policies have obvious names; Competition policy, Innovation Policy, Trade policy.

exeternal

HSC
N/A

Well done, and by reform i did mean plural,
Remember to link prices to inflationary pressures when you discuss lower prices for consumers (just to keep in tune with the idea of "performance")
For trade reform something simple like
"MER through reduction in protection, opened the domestic market to foreign competition. This has had a substantial effect in lowering inflationary pressures, as increased competitive pressures forced import competing firms to raise productivity and in the long term increase international competitiveness. This will improve long term growth due to an increase in (X-M) as firms gain a comparative advantage.

Also, something less talked about but equally potent is innovation policy.
Innovation policy (grants and subsidies to firms who can innovate)-> encourage business to innovate and remain competitive -> increased quality of life -> possibly environmental sustainability via innovation in "greener methods of production."
Innovation can also tap into global export markets (X-M) and new employment opportunities providing longer term sustainable sources of growth.
ohh haha i see. you think my response would score ?/5?
lower prices --> lower inflationary pressure? or you mean it as a negative due to possibility of deflation??
is the innovation policy in the marking criteria? :)

spatula232

HSC

ohh haha i see. you think my response would score ?/5?
lower prices --> lower inflationary pressure? or you mean it as a negative due to possibility of deflation??
is the innovation policy in the marking criteria? :)
MER, increase AS, decreased inflationary pressures

ta26

HSC
N/A

Given that C = 200 + 0.75Y and I = 100, calculate the equilibrium level of income and the value of the simple multiplier.

amberbambi

HSC
N/A

Given that C = 200 + 0.75Y and I = 100, calculate the equilibrium level of income and the value of the simple multiplier.
Is the equilibrium level of income 800 and the multiplier 4?

Ekman

HSC

Is the equilibrium level of income 800 and the multiplier 4?
I got 1200 for income and multiplier was 4.

Its because: Y=C+I
Therefore, Y = 200 + 0.75Y + 100
0.25Y = 300
Y=1200

HSC

What is the relationship between the Current Account Deficit (CAD) and the servicing cost of net foreign debt? 3

Gabriel Moussa

HSC

what is the relationship between the current account deficit (cad) and the servicing cost of net foreign debt? 3
the bigger the cad the increased amount deficit on the primary income account threby increasing the servicing costs on foreign debt. In the long term, higher cad's require larger kafa surpluses to pay off existing debt, compounding the foreign debt servicing costs as more funds are borrowed from overseas firms to finance existing debt. If this continues, a reduction in the credit rating can occur, resulting in a debt trap scenario and higher interest repayments on foreign debt due to lower lender confidence, increasing the servicing costs on foreign debt.

rrulez

HSC

Explain the liquidity of money as the RBA implements market operations in the economy. 3 marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)