HSC 2015 Maths Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawaiipotato

HSC
Re: HSC 2015 2U Marathon

Q. If the continuous function f(x) is an even function, prove that f'(x) is an odd function
let y = f(x) be an even function
So, y = f(x) = f(-x)

Differentiating wrt. x,
dy/dx = f'(x) = f'(-x) * d(-x)/dx
f'(x) = -f'(-x)
which is odd

Drsoccerball

HSC

Next question: Prove that every odd function is divisible by x.

braintic

HSC
N/A

Next question: Prove that every odd function is divisible by x.
You mean every odd polynomial.

(Although it is always true if you consider Taylor series)

Perhaps a better more general question is "Prove that if an odd function is defined for x=0, then it must pass through the origin".

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

You mean every odd polynomial.

(Although it is always true if you consider Taylor series)

Perhaps a better more general question is "Prove that if an odd function is defined for x=0, then it must pass through the origin".
You mean polynomial.

Consider f(x) = sin (x)...
How do you guys know it's polynomial, lol, is this even 2U? And Taylor series dayuuum.

braintic

HSC
N/A

How do you guys know it's polynomial, lol, is this even 2U? And Taylor series dayuuum.
The fact that it should be a general polynomial means it is not 2U.

But my alternative question is 2U.

leehuan

HSC

Firstly is my answer correct?
I missed this. Anyway, logic:

Total outcomes = 50*49*48*47*46

Favourable outcomes = Let us consider the spades suit first.

There is only one royal flush in the spades suit. That is, 10-J-Q-K-A of spades. So that's 1 favourable outcome
We have 4 suits altogether. So that's 4 favourable outcomes

Hence, required probability = 4/(50*49*48*47*46)

rand_althor

HSC

Prove that if an odd function is defined for x=0, then it must pass through the origin
For an odd function f(-x) = -f(x). If x = 0, we have f(0) = -f(0) -> 2f(0) = 0 -> f(0) = 0. Therefore odd functions defined for x = 0 pass through the origin (0,0).

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Break time for 2U.

kawaiipotato

HSC

A point starts at A(0,0). It forms a staircase by moving to the right, cos(18) metres. It then moves up, cos^(2)(18) metres. Then it moves to the right cos^(3)(18) metres and then moves up cos^(4)(18) metres and so on infinitely. Find the angle that the line connecting A to the top of the staircase makes with the horizontal provided the angle is less than 90.

Last edited:

rand_althor

HSC

A point starts at A(0,0). It forms a staircase by moving to the right, cos(18) metres. It then moves up, cos^(2)(18) metres. Then it moves to the right cos^(3)(18) metres and then moves up cos^(4)(18) metres and so on infinitely. Find the angle that the line connecting A to the top of the staircase makes with the horizontal provided the angle is less than 90.
I'll label each corner of the staircase with B, C, D, E, ... So we have:

Clearly there is a geometric series here, and a limiting sum exists since -1 < cos(18) < 1 and -1 < cos2(18) < 1. The staircase will eventually end in one point, which we'll call n. The co-ordinates of n are:

Which we simplify to:

Since A is the origin, the line passing through the top of the staircase and A has the form y=mx. Solving for m:

Now, for the angle the line makes with the x-axis, we use m=tan(θ):

Last edited:

rand_althor

HSC

There is a circular table with 6 chairs. Alice, Bob, and Eve each pick a random chair to sit down in. Compute the probability that each person has an empty chair on either side of them.

flavurr

HSC

There is a circular table with 6 chairs. Alice, Bob, and Eve each pick a random chair to sit down in. Compute the probability that each person has an empty chair on either side of them.
feel like i did this horribly wrong but is it 12/84?

Mr_Kap

HSC

Can someone teach me how to do this question without permutations...it is 2u after all. I can't remember Perms and Combinations from 3u ..as I learnt it just before the trials and when i realised i was gonna drop 3u i didn't really pay attention. Although, i think perms and combs is a good 3unit topic, it seemed hard but enjoyable.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Can someone teach me how to do this question without permutations...it is 2u after all. I can't remember Perms and Combinations from 3u ..as I learnt it just before the trials and when i realised i was gonna drop 3u i didn't really pay attention. Although, i think perms and combs is a good 3unit topic, it seemed hard but enjoyable.
Oh yeah sorry, forgot this was the 2U thread (Q looked like a perms and combs Q so subconsciously thought about it in a perms and combs way I guess).

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Basically, fix Alice somewhere at the start due to symmetry. Now, there's 5 seats left and we need Bob and Eve to sit in two specific seats (the ones two seats away from Alice). Call these Seats 1 and 2. As there's 5 seats left, there's a 1/5 chance of a given seat being selected. We can have Bob sit in Seat 1 and Eve sit in Seat 2, or vice versa. The probability of Bob sitting in Seat 1 then Eve in Seat 2 is (1/5)•(1/4) = 1/20 (the 1/4 is the probability of Eve picking the other seat, Seat 2, given that Bob has picked Seat 1, since there's 4 seats left now for Eve to choose from). The other option is just reversing Bob and Eve and so is the same probability of 1/20. Hence the answer is 1/20 + 1/20 = 1/10.

Last edited:

Mr_Kap

HSC

Basically, fix Alice somewhere at the start due to symmetry. Now, there's 5 seats left and we need Bob and Eve to sit in two specific seats (the ones two seats away from Alice). Call these Seats 1 and 2. As there's 5 seats left, there's a 1/5 chance of a given seat being selected. We can have Bob sit in Seat 1 and Eve sit in Seat 2, or vice versa. The probability of Bob sitting in Seat 1 then Eve in Seat 2 is (1/5)•(1/4) = 1/20 (the 1/4 is the probability of Eve picking the other seat, Seat 2, given that Bob has picked Seat 1, since there's 4 seats left now for Eve to choose from). The other option is just reversing Bob and Eve and so is the same probability of 1/20. Hence the answer is 1/20 + 1/20 = 1/10.
so does seating Alice not matter to the probability in this case because it is a circle, and circles can start from anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)