• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2015 Maths Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: HSC 2015 2U Marathon

Interesting solve by integrand. Is that legible in an exam? lol
I don't see why not. The only important thing to notice however is that he used both parametrics and inverse functions, which are parts of the 3U course. (Nonetheless, I haven't heard of 3U knowledge being prohibited in a 2U paper.)
I wouldn't accept this as a proper proof from scratch. Reason being that the meat of the problem is essentially circumvented by using the fact that the derivative of x^3 is 3x^2.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I wouldn't accept this as a proper proof from scratch. Reason being that the meat of the problem is essentially circumvented by using the fact that the derivative of x^3 is 3x^2.
What if you included the first-principles differentiation of first? I would have put it in my post, but it was done by someone else just two posts above.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

What if you included the first-principles differentiation of first? I would have put it in my post, but it was done by someone else just two posts above.
Yep, then that would of course be a complete proof.

braintic

HSC
N/A

Isn't the point of these marathon threads for HSC students to answer the questions, and for teachers to jump in only when there is an issue with the question, when a student has made an incorrect attempt at the question, or after a couple of days when no-one has been successful.

The higher Ext 2 thread is a bit different because the thinking involved is closer to uni level (and I have jumped in there after a couple of days), but I don't see the point of a teacher jumping in and answering one of these 2 unit questions only half a day after it was asked.

FrankXie

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

Isn't the point of these marathon threads for HSC students to answer the questions, and for teachers to jump in only when there is an issue with the question, when a student has made an incorrect attempt at the question, or after a couple of days when no-one has been successful.

The higher Ext 2 thread is a bit different because the thinking involved is closer to uni level (and I have jumped in there after a couple of days), but I don't see the point of a teacher jumping in and answering one of these 2 unit questions only half a day after it was asked.
To my best understanding, it doesn't matter who tries or solves the question. What matters is everyboday lets the ball rolling, ie, when one question is surely solved, post a new question! The students still have chance to try the question that is already solved because they don't have to read others' solution if they do want to have a go.

astroman

HSC

need help, i keep getting 9 but answer says 10
using 1 subinterval/use trapezoidal rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)