• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2015 Maths Marathon (archive) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flop21

HSC
Re: HSC 2015 2U Marathon

First sketch the graph
Since its that little triangle thingy:
What is this "area of a rectangle" thing? Where can I find info how to do this in my cambridge textbook?

Flop21

HSC

Has anyone got any question on these topics: integration, logs and exponential functions ?

Here's one for someone: Integrate this... (2x+3)^10

photastic

HSC

Has anyone got any question on these topics: integration, logs and exponential functions ?

Here's one for someone: Integrate this... (2x+3)^10

When is trapezoidal rule for accurate than the Simpson's Rule? Use a diagram to justify your answer.

Flop21

HSC

When is trapezoidal rule for accurate than the Simpson's Rule? Use a diagram to justify your answer.
The trapezoidal rule is more accurate than The Simpson's Rule when more subintervals are used.

(Can someone else do the diagram).

Another question:

- Differentiate: xe^(2x)

matchalolz

HSC

The trapezoidal rule is more accurate than The Simpson's Rule when more subintervals are used.

(Can someone else do the diagram).

Another question:

- Differentiate: xe^(2x)
d/dx(xe^[2x])
let u = x
u dash = 1

let v = e^(2x)
v dash = 2e^(2x)

d/dx(xe^[2x]) = e^(2x) + 2xe^(2x)
= e^(2x) * (1+2x)

Flop21

HSC

d/dx(xe^[2x])
let u = x
u dash = 1

let v = e^(2x)
v dash = 2e^(2x)

d/dx(xe^[2x]) = e^(2x) + 2xe^(2x)
= e^(2x) * (1+2x)
Quick question.

Do we always have to factorise our final answers? Will we loose points if we don't? Will we gain points if we do?

Drsoccerball

HSC

Quick question.

Do we always have to factorise our final answers? Will we loose points if we don't? Will we gain points if we do?
no you're all gee if you leave it unfactorised version but you Have to simplify fully

leehuan

HSC

Correct, but there shouldn't have been a need to split PV into 2 parts. It seems you split it then recombined without a purpose.
Probably because my original plan was to base it off an area of a rectangle and a triangle, but when I realised what the definition did I forgot to swap it back.

What is this "area of a rectangle" thing? Where can I find info how to do this in my cambridge textbook?
This isn't really a thing; more the concept of visualising the question.
From the graph of y=e^(2x), it appears that the region bound by the curve and the lines y=1 and x=2, is almost the value of the integral, however not quite.

The integral of e^(2x) from 0 to 1 also includes a rectangle beneath it. This rectangle, that does belong to the value of the integral, does not belong in the area of the question required. All he did was subtract off the area to match the question.

(I tried to use GeoGebra to create a graph, but e^4 is too large (about 60) and if I change the scale, the rectangle will appear far too narrow.)

Next question:

Hint for (ii):
Consider the two points in part (i), i.e. (0,0) and (r,h). What must be the boundaries of the integral?

matchalolz

HSC

Probably because my original plan was to base it off an area of a rectangle and a triangle, but when I realised what the definition did I forgot to swap it back.

This isn't really a thing; more the concept of visualising the question.
From the graph of y=e^(2x), it appears that the region bound by the curve and the lines y=1 and x=2, is almost the value of the integral, however not quite.

The integral of e^(2x) from 0 to 1 also includes a rectangle beneath it. This rectangle, that does belong to the value of the integral, does not belong in the area of the question required. All he did was subtract off the area to match the question.

(I tried to use GeoGebra to create a graph, but e^4 is too large (about 60) and if I change the scale, the rectangle will appear far too narrow.)

Next question:

Hint for (ii):
Consider the two points in part (i), i.e. (0,0) and (r,h). What must be the boundaries of the integral?
Part i. FInd gradient
m = h/r
y-h = h/r(x-r)
ry - rh = hx - h
ry - hx - rh - h = 0
therefore ry - hx - h(r+1) = 0

I think I've almost got part two, just slipped up somewhere and cant find my mistake

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Part i. FInd gradient
m = h/r
y-h = h/r(x-r)
ry - rh = hx - h
ry - hx - rh - h = 0
therefore ry - hx - h(r+1) = 0

I think I've almost got part two, just slipped up somewhere and cant find my mistake
The line for (i) is simply .

(A line through the origin is of the form , where is the slope, so once we've found the slope, we can quickly write down its equation without having to use point-slope form.)

matchalolz

HSC

LOL i was trying to find volume next to x-axis but was using V = pi integrand whatever x^2 dy massive ooops

idk I got πh^5/3r^2, might try again later but gtg atm

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

I had the two mixed up. I actually intended to use (h,r)

photastic

HSC

Find the positive number for which the sum of the number, triple the number and eight times its reciprocal is a minimum.

leehuan

HSC

Find the positive number for which the sum of the number, triple the number and eight times its reciprocal is a minimum.
I'm still trying to figure out what you mean here.

Ambility

HSC

In the following answer, please pretend that the negative square root of two is actually positive on the second to last line of working. For some reason, if I remove the negative, LaTeX screws up. If anyone knows why, let me know.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

In the following answer, please pretend that the negative square root of two is actually positive on the second to last line of working. For some reason, if I remove the negative, LaTeX screws up. If anyone knows why, let me know.

^Seems to work now (I put a space between the "(" bracket and the backslash).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)