• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2015 MX1 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
Re: HSC 2015 3U Marathon

This seems rather demanding to be given to a 3U student.

3U also demands a substitution be given for integrals, but I will say Q1 is perfectly doable when it is given. Then again this is the marathon so this may not apply.

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A

This seems rather demanding to be given to a 3U student.

3U also demands a substitution be given for integrals, but I will say Q1 is perfectly doable when it is given. Then again this is the marathon so this may not apply.
It wouldn't be asked even in Ext 2 because
(i) the term "differential equation" is not in the syllabus (either Ext 1 or Ext 2)
(ii) although many students do use separation of variables, that concept is also not in the Ext 1 or Ext 2 course.

But it will be in the new syllabus, whenever that comes out.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

It wouldn't be asked even in Ext 2 because
(i) the term "differential equation" is not in the syllabus (either Ext 1 or Ext 2)
(ii) although many students do use separation of variables, that concept is also not in the Ext 1 or Ext 2 course.

But it will be in the new syllabus, whenever that comes out.
The words ''differential equation'' have been used in past HSC papers though. E.g. Q4(c) of the 2011 MX2 paper (see page 7 of the link) was a quite solid differential equations Q: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...ms/pdf_doc/2011-hsc-exam-mathematics-ext2.pdf

The 2/3 Unit has the words "differential equation" in it: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths23u_syl.pdf

And when is the new syllabus expected to come out?

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A

The words ''differential equation'' have been used in past HSC papers though. E.g. Q4(c) of the 2011 MX2 paper (see page 7 of the link) was a quite solid differential equations Q: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...ms/pdf_doc/2011-hsc-exam-mathematics-ext2.pdf

The 2/3 Unit has the words "differential equation" in it: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/maths23u_syl.pdf

And when is the new syllabus expected to come out?
I stand corrected about the term.
But I maintain that separation of variables will not be asked.

And even though that question was in the Ext 2 HSC, it should not have been phrased like that because the concept of a 'solution' to a differential equation is not developed in the syllabus. I suspect many students would not have a clue what it was talking about.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

The parabola x^2=8y has focus S. The chord of contact from the point T(2,-1) to the parabola cuts the parabola at A and B.

a) Find the equation of the chord of contact.
b) Show that the area of triangle ABS is 1/3 of the area of triangle ABT. (Hint: You do not need to find the length of AB.)

I found part (a) which is x-2y+2=0. I had an attempt at drawing part (b) on graph but not too sure how to solve part (b)

The way I read it is: A,B are two points on the parabola and S is the Focus which are all collinear points

rand_althor

HSC

A quicker way to do it is to find the perpendicular distance from S to AB and from T to AB. These distances would be the perpendicular heights of the triangles. Then using the area formula for a triangle you would find each area in terms of AB. When you find the ratio Area(ABS):Area(ABT), the AB cancels out and it simplifies to 1/3.

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

LOL my teacher forces us to say it like this :
The statement is true for n=1. If the statement is true for n=k, then it is also true for n=k+1, Hence by Mathematical Induction the statement is true for n>1

leehuan

HSC

In class I think my teacher makes us say:

Hence we have satisfied the conditions for proof by induction. Thus the statement is true for all n <element> <positive natural>.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

You can just say something like 'Hence true by mathematical induction'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)