HSC 2015 MX1 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: HSC 2015 3U Marathon

(using the chain rule)

Alternatively, you could try substituting and use the half-angle formula to make the differentiation easier to do. Should yield the same answer though :)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

How do you work with the domain and know it's undefined? I solved to only get
Well, I said the derivative was defined for , and x can't be 0 in this domain (otherwise the fraction would EQUAL 1, which we can't have), so the derivative is undefined at x = 0.

In general, is defined for , and the derivative is defined for .

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Also, my solution has in it. This is equal to 1 when x is positive, and -1 when x is negative, so it agrees with your book's/source's answer.

FrankXie

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

Also, my solution has in it. This is equal to 1 when x is positive, and -1 when x is negative, so it agrees with your book's/source's answer.
yes quite so. and a comment, the function x/|x| (which usually called sign function or Heaviside function) has no definition and is discontinuous at x=1, this justfifies that y' does not exist at x=0.
plus, guys, don't forget my last question, still there unanswered

Ambility

HSC

I only just started my 3U Maths preliminary course, so I can't yet answer many of the questions here, but I do have one for you guys if you want it. It was a challenge question on a class test today. The answer surprised me.

Simplify:

FrankXie

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

I only just started my 3U Maths preliminary course, so I can't yet answer many of the questions here, but I do have one for you guys if you want it. It was a challenge question on a class test today. The answer surprised me.

Simplify:

answer is 3.

braintic

HSC
N/A

How about:

Assuming k! > 2^k (and k>=4)

(k+1)! = (k+1).k! > 2.2^k = 2^(k+1)

[BTW, "n=k+1 is true" doesn't mean too much. Not that the examiners are going to care, but it should be "true for n=k+1 (when true for n=k)" ]

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

A group consists of 9 people. These 9 people are to be seated around a circular table. The group of 9 people consists of 4 students 3 teachers and 2 parents. How many possible arrangements are there if all the students sit together, all the teachers sit together and none of the students sit next to the teachers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)