• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2015 MX2 Integration Marathon (archive) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Re: MX2 2015 Integration Marathon

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

integrand got the lower bound ages ago if you want to look for it by fowarding to when the question was posted
I think that's with seanieg's question

braintic

HSC
N/A

why not
EDIT: shit...
Don't worry ... it still works for both cases. But not considering that is one mark off in an exam! ... unless there is another method which bypasses the issue.

Drsoccerball

HSC

Don't worry ... it still works for both cases. But not considering that is one mark off in an exam!
I made the answer based on the 1-c^2=s^2 fact so wouldnt that also make the answer wrong

braintic

HSC
N/A

I made the answer based on the 1-c^2=s^2 fact so wouldnt that also make the answer wrong
Inverse tan and sine are both odd functions.

So (ignoring all the extraneous rubbish):

2/sin(-α) times arctan sin(-α) = ....... ?

glittergal96

HSC

I wasn't able to think of a way to approximate the lower bound as (though technically if you allow for a strict lower bound like 2pi as an answer to the question, then a strict lower bound of 1 would be sufficient too and easy to prove, though such a bound would not be useful).

How did you get it?
You don't need to find a lower bound of sqrt(2*pi) though, I just asked for any positive constant in my original question.

So to summarise, if Q(n) is the quotient in the middle.

i) Show there are positive constants A,B such that A < Q(n) < B for all n. (My original question. You found a B, using the trapezoidal approximation, but can you find an A?)

ii) Show that Q(n) is monotone. (I just did this roughly, but I think it's not too hard.)

iii) Since the first two parts show that Q(n) -> c, you may assume this. Can you then find c? (This is distinct from i), you don't have to do it in an immediate sandwiching way, that sounds impossibly hard. Fortunately calculus gives us pretty powerful tools for computing things, especially when we don't have to worry about convergence!)

glittergal96

HSC

integrand got the lower bound ages ago if you want to look for it by fowarding to when the question was posted
That was to seanieg89's question (I think an upper bound). And in the end, that exponent turned out to be the wrong one, so Integrand's bound wasn't very sharp. (Not that what he did was wrong.)

Drsoccerball

HSC

That was to seanieg89's question (I think an upper bound). And in the end, that exponent turned out to be the wrong one, so Integrand's bound wasn't very sharp . (Not that what he did was wrong.)
Pun intended ? sean said he was right tho ?

glittergal96

HSC

Pun intended ? sean said he was right tho ?
What pun? lol.

As I said in brackets, the thing he wrote down wasn't untrue, it is just weaker than the result we can prove. Sean's original question was "wrong" in that the upper bound was easy to prove and the lower bound was hard to prove (impossible in fact, because it wasn't true lol). If you add 1 to both of the exponents the question makes sense though. (See my recent proof).

leehuan

HSC

Just gonna do one case. Assume sin(α)>0

NEXT QUESTION:
I've seen this done already using indefinite integrals. But definite integrals seem to make things more fun and relaxing.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

NEXT QUESTION:
I've seen this done already using indefinite integrals. But definite integrals seem to make things more fun and relaxing.

The latter integral was solved on the first page of this marathon (three different approaches are there).

Drsoccerball

HSC

Just gonna do one case. Assume sin(α)>0

NEXT QUESTION:

i)

ii)
EDIT: notsure how to fix this latex

leehuan

HSC

i)

ii)
EDIT: notsure how to fix this latex
Oh dear. But I'll take the 2I = \Int 0 part and say yeah you got it.

Whilst I'm here. Mega oh dear at the other comment.
EDIT: Yeah I figured you saw that.

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

Oh dear. But I'll take the 2I = \Int 0 part and say yeah you got it.

Whilst I'm here. Mega oh dear at the other comment.
Im using dummy variables i need to add the first I and the last I to let it =0 otherwise you lose a mark for fudging...

glittergal96

HSC

You don't need to find a lower bound of sqrt(2*pi) though, I just asked for any positive constant in my original question.

So to summarise, if Q(n) is the quotient in the middle.

i) Show there are positive constants A,B such that A < Q(n) < B for all n. (My original question. You found a B, using the trapezoidal approximation, but can you find an A?)

ii) Show that Q(n) is monotone. (I just did this roughly, but I think it's not too hard.)

iii) Since the first two parts show that Q(n) -> c, you may assume this. Can you then find c? (This is distinct from i), you don't have to do it in an immediate sandwiching way, that sounds impossibly hard. Fortunately calculus gives us pretty powerful tools for computing things, especially when we don't have to worry about convergence!)
So did you end up having a proof that the Q(n) is bounded below by 1 Sy?

My upper bound (for the log sum) came from the trapezoidal approximation (and the geometric observation that this approximation underestimates the integral of a concave function.)

My lower bound I did in a couple of ways.

i) We can in fact overestimate the integral of a concave function by integrating its tangent curve. A convenient (and in fact optimal, which you can test with differential calculus) way of bounding is by using the tangent at . If we then perform the integration of this tangent line (ie calculate the area of a trapezium lol), we get log(a+1/2). This is a tight enough upper bound to be able to sum such approximations and get an appropriate lower bound for the logsum.

ii) We can study the trapezoidal approximation in a little more detail (wish we learned this in high school). Try to find a bound for the error of the trapezoidal approximation on in terms of Then this means the trapezoidal bound is good enough, as we can overestimate the logintegral by (its trapezoidal sum) + (a partial sum of the basel series). Knowing that the latter is finite is good enough to get a lower bound for the logsum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)