HSC 2015 MX2 Marathon ADVANCED (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glittergal96

HSC
Re: HSC 2015 4U Marathon - Advanced Level

well done though, I think it was difficult for a question 1 though
I don't think it's that bad as far as competition problems go, but I guess Q1s are often easier.

Were there other interesting problems in this contest?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

I don't think it's that bad as far as competition problems go, but I guess Q1s are often easier.

Yer I don't think it's that bad of a Q1 either. The method you have to use (assuming an arbitrary person sees at least 18 etc) is obvious, the main problem would be reaching the contradiction.

It's still better than my year's one where the inequality question didn't even work.

simpleetal

HSC

of course, but as you said q1s are typically easier lol.
I think q6 was quite interesting as well, which involved the use of the chinese remainder theorem but my latexing skills arent good enough for me to post the question. Perhapsthere is someone else on this forum who has done the test and is able to share the question?

simpleetal

HSC

btw realisenothing, how many points did u score? I believe you scored a HD in that comp? I just want to get a general idea of the cut off marks lol.

glittergal96

HSC

of course, but as you said q1s are typically easier lol.
I think q6 was quite interesting as well, which involved the use of the chinese remainder theorem but my latexing skills arent good enough for me to post the question. Perhapsthere is someone else on this forum who has done the test and is able to share the question?
Was it really that tex-heavy? Can you describe it unambiguously without latex?

2azn4u

HSC
Uni Grad

IG7O8BQ.jpg
Here's the chinese remainder theorem question from this year's senior unsw maths comp paper.

I tried doing it by contrapositive when I couldn't figure out how to do it by contradiction. Haven't yielded any results from it yet.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

HSC

btw realisenothing, how many points did u score? I believe you scored a HD in that comp? I just want to get a general idea of the cut off marks lol.
You don't get given your exact score only the stats etc.

If I had to guess my score, I'd say around 19 or 20/25 (it is out of 30, but since the inequality question didn't work I'm not sure how they marked that?)

I know out of the 5 questions that did work I got 3 of them completely, and partial solutions for the remaining 2.

This was for a mid-HD (I was 8th out of year 12's and around 15th overall from memory)

simpleetal

HSC

You don't get given your exact score only the stats etc.

If I had to guess my score, I'd say around 19 or 20/25 (it is out of 30, but since the inequality question didn't work I'm not sure how they marked that?)

I know out of the 5 questions that did work I got 3 of them completely, and partial solutions for the remaining 2.

This was for a mid-HD (I was 8th out of year 12's and around 15th overall from memory)
ah okay. Do you have any idea what the general cut off mark for HD is then? For senior? Like for a paper of average difficulty

Drsoccerball

HSC

That inequality in the question didn't work lol

(Or maybe you were joking with that comment haha)
Yeah i was joking :p but due to the initial condition why arn't i allowed to say that

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Yeah i was joking :p but due to the initial condition why arn't i allowed to say that
We don't need .

e.g. , then compensate by having the other (s) less than the (s) so the given conditions hold.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

HSC

ah okay. Do you have any idea what the general cut off mark for HD is then? For senior? Like for a paper of average difficulty
I remember reading something like 1 in 4 people don't even get a whole question right (though this seems kinda high since I don't think the exam is THAT hard). This might have been for the junior paper though which would make more sense since they aren't as experienced.

Low 20's/30 seems about right for a HD-cut off I think, though I'm really not too sure.

glittergal96

HSC

View attachment 32115
Here's the chinese remainder theorem question from this year's senior unsw maths comp paper.

I tried doing it by contrapositive when I couldn't figure out how to do it by contradiction. Haven't yielded any results from it yet.
I think this works:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

RealiseNothing

HSC

Let

Then:

So A lies 'n' more than an integer, and 3n+1 less than the next integer. Since the square root function is concave down, any chord lies beneath the curve, hence the result.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Let

Then:

So A lies 'n' more than an integer, and 3n+1 less than the next integer. Since the square root function is concave down, any chord lies beneath the curve, hence the result.
Which chord is this? I just let the fractional part be 'r' and found a quadratic equation that implied r < 1/4 (after doing what you did first)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)