HSC 2015 MX2 Marathon ADVANCED (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simpleetal

HSC
Re: HSC 2015 4U Marathon - Advanced Level

this is a good question, a little easier than the questions which are usually presented here, but harder than the questions on the other thread.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

this is a good question, a little easier than the questions which are usually presented here, but harder than the questions on the other thread.

Last edited:

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

Just saw this.

Take any cube mod 10 and you get 0,1,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,9... as your cycle.

From here it is obvious that the equation can't have an integer solution.

simpleetal

HSC

Yep, this was essentially the same as what I did. You can motivate this by the observation that the only the coefficients of the last 3 terms stay the same, and since the question is asking about the roots, I figured that the relationship between roots and the coefficients (or vieta's formula) would be the way to go.

glittergal96

HSC

This kind of argument seems the logical approach (I haven't solved this problem satisfactorily to myself yet btw). Why does removing a line with a maximal number of intersection points on it necessarily remove intersection points though? And also why should your two cases exhaust the possibilities?

(I think the answer is surely n, but proving optimality could be slightly tricky.)

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

This kind of argument seems the logical approach (I haven't solved this problem satisfactorily to myself yet btw). Why does removing a line with a maximal number of intersection points on it necessarily remove intersection points though? And also why should your two cases exhaust the possibilities?

(I think the answer is surely n, but proving optimality could be slightly tricky.)
(taking the word degree to describe the number of lines that goes through a specific intersection point)

It is sufficient to prove that there is at least one intersection point of degree 2, because if there is, one can just remove a line that goes through there, which in turn removes that intersection point (since removing a line decreases the degree by 1, and no intersection point can have degree 1).

I have a strong intuition that it is indeed the case that there is always at least 1 point of degree 2, but I'm not sure yet how to prove this (if I was to guess it would be a clever invocation of the pidgeonhole principle)

Last edited:

SilentWaters

HSC

I would like to propose my own solution to the lines-in-a-plane problem. It's a simple two-case interpretation, which I hope it's comprehensive.

Looking at our definitions, we know that parallel lines never meet in a plane. Any one non-parallel line, therefore, will meet all other lines of similar nature, once within the plane. These intersections can be shared by two or more lines, but if any one line does not share an intersection with any other line within the plane, it must intersect it once elsewhere.

We start off with 2 non-parallel lines, introducing our first intersection to the plane. From here, the minimum number of added intersections with the next line would be 0, by sharing the first intersection with the other lines. However, since we have to exclude at least 1 line from the common intersection, our last line would have to intersect all others once.

If at any point before the last line (let's say, at the rth line, where 1 < r < n) we decide not to share the initial intersection with previous lines, our first deviant line would have to intersect with all other lines once at separate points, adding r-1 intersections to the plane. After this first digression, we know that there is no point on the plane shared by all lines. That is, there is no one point on the plane where lines after the rth line will intersect with all other lines at once. At the very least, therefore, all lines after this will add 1 new intersection to the plane. This is the best case scenario, where we keep adding lines to the intersection shared by the r-1 lines from before (ensuring that each new line intersects with all other lines except for the rth one, which it will have to intersect at a separate point).

Compare the two cases:
(1) where we share the initial intersection until the last line, whereupon the sequence of added intersections will be .

(2) where we introduce a new intersection anytime before the last line, whereupon the sequence would change to

at the very best.

Each sequence constitutes a set of n elements (for our n lines). Thus, in the first sequence, we have a total of 1+n-1 = n distinct intersections. In the second case, at the very least we have 1+r-1+(n-r)(1) = n distinct intersections.

Therefore, the absolute minimum number of distinct intersections throughout our plane is n.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)