HSC 2015 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Re: HSC 2015 4U Marathon

correct, but can you give the reason why? (unless it was already posted)
Let S(n) be the number of ways of climbing n steps.

The first move is either 1 step or 2 steps.
If it is 1 step, there are S(n-1) ways of climbing the remaining n-1 steps.
If it is 2 steps, there are S(n-2) ways of climbing the remaining n-2 steps.
So S(n) = S(n-1) + S(n-2), for n>2
This is the definition of the Fibonacci series.
The base cases S(1) and S(2) must be actually counted ... S(1) = 1, S(2) = 2.
These are the 2nd & 3rd terms of the Fibonacci series.

Drsoccerball

HSC

But cant you subtract the 1st equation by the 2nd one and get the reverse?
Thats what i was thinking aahah tried getting passed your security in picking up mistakes

Ekman

HSC

Thats what i was thinking aahah tried getting passed your security in picking up mistakes
I answered the question like porcupinetree did in the exam, but when I looked back over the proof, I realised I didn't prove that

Zlatman

HSC

I'm not sure if there's much mathematical merit behind this, but if p, q and r are positive integers, wouldn't the only case for which holds true be when p = q = r = 2 (pqr = 8)?

p, q or r cannot equal 1, since 3 isn't a factor of 64.

When any of them are an integer greater than 2, there's no possible way to make 64 from the 3 sets of brackets. If p = 3, 4, 5, then p + 2 = 5, 6 or 7, which aren't factors of 64. If p = 6 (p + 2 = 8), then (q+2)(r+2) = 8, which can't be true, since each set of brackets must be greater than or equal to 3. Any number greater than 6 will have the same result.

The only other time holds true (with these conditions) is if we include 0 as a positive integer (which isn't right). If p = 0, then (q+2)(r+2) = 32, which can be made with q = 2 and r = 6, for example. In this case, pqr = 0 < 8.

I hope that makes some sense.

Last edited:

Ekman

HSC

I'm not sure if there's much mathematical merit behind this, but if p, q and r are positive integers, wouldn't the only case for which holds true be when p = q = r = 2 (pqr = 8)?

p, q or r cannot equal 1, since 3 isn't a factor of 64.

When any of them are an integer greater than 2, there's no possible way to make 64 from the 3 sets of brackets. If p = 3, 4, 5, then p + 2 = 5, 6 or 7, which aren't factors of 64. If p = 6 (p + 2 = 8), then (q+2)(r+2) = 8, which can't be true, since each set of brackets must be greater than or equal to 3. Any number greater than 6 will have the same result.

The only other time holds true is if we include 0 as a positive integer (which isn't right). If p = 0, then (q+2)(r+2) = 32, which can be made with q = 2 and r = 6, for example. In this case, pqr = 0 < 8.

I hope that makes some sense.
I may have confused the conditions for p,q,r for another question. The one before it was also an inequalities question that required squeeze theorem so it was fun to prove. So I may have confused the conditions between those two questions

Zlatman

HSC

I may have confused the conditions for p,q,r for another question. The one before it was also an inequalities question that required squeeze theorem so it was fun to prove. So I may have confused the conditions between those two questions
I guess p, q and r could just be positive? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kaido

be.
HSC

Let p+2 = a , q+2 =b r+2=c

Therefore (p+2) + (q+2) + (r+2) > 3 cuberoot ((P+2)(Q+2)(r+2))
Simplifying: p+q+r > 6

Now p+q+r > 3 cuberoot (pqr)
Rearranging, pqr < (P+q+r/3)^3
therefore, pqr < (6/2)^3
pqr < 8

Does this work?

Edit: nvm, i see peeps have done this and i guess it doesnt work

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Adding these three inequalities yields:

The strict inequality is true since all three inequalities are zero at different values of x.
Adding only furthers the strictness of the inequality, which leads to:

Which after re-arranging gives the desired inequality.
Now, my question is, how many marks would I get (compared to whatever would be given) in the HSC for doing it this way instead of calculus? (I have nothing against calculus, it's just that I will always try to solve a problem in the most elegant way I can (quickly) think of)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)