• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2016 Chemistry Marathon (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Re: HSC Chemistry Marathon 2016

You appear to be off by a factor of 10 compared to Flop21's reported answer. What method did you use? Did you try the method I posted (I have t actually typed numbers into a calculator but the method should be right)?
Hey can you help me with my question I posted above?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Nevermind, I got the answer for such a simple question lol.

Occupied

HSC
N/A

You appear to be off by a factor of 10 compared to Flop21's reported answer. What method did you use? Did you try the method I posted (I have t actually typed numbers into a calculator but the method should be right)?
Hey,
Yeah, ur right I read wrong and thought no. of cu atoms was 4.6* 10^24 instead of 10^23. Not sure about ur method tbh, cuz it doesn't make sense to me ahahahahaha
I just did mass cu2s/mm cu2s = moles of Cu/2
= (4.6/6.022) / 2
Mass Cu2S = [(4.6/6.022 )*mm cu2S] / 2

hedgehog_7

HSC

The river water downstream from a factory was suspected of having lead ion and barium in contamination.
Analysis of a sample of this water by atomic absorption spectroscopy found its absorbance valuet the main lead wavelength to be 0.078.
The absorbance value of a standard laboratory sample, known to have a concentration of 5.85 ppm of lead was 1.087.

Calculate the concentration of lead in ppm in the river water sample

ALSO when calculating Total Dissolved Solids (TDS), the formula is use is:

( Mass (Beaker + Residue) - Mass (Beaker) ) / ( Mass (Beaker + Water ) - Mass (Beaker) )

what would be the units of the result i get from this calculation?? and how do i convert this number to ppm. Thanks!

leehuan

HSC

Absorbance is a linear function of concentration no matter what.

5.85/1.087 = [Pb2+]/0.078

[Pb2+] = 0.41977920883 mol L^-1 but you should round to 2 s. f. according to the question.

That would give you the mass of the residue. You know that n=m/M and C=n/V (V is the volume of the water you originally had)

Flop21

HSC

btw is this 4 uni chem? (and which one?)
I'm doing an intro chem course at uni (chem 1001 at UNSW). So it's mainly HSC level chem, stuff to prepare us for the first year chem courses everyone takes.

Flop21

HSC

I understand what the numbers on the left of each element symbol mean, but how do I work out this question when it has the symbols on the right (what are the symbols on the right, e.g. 3- and how do I use that to work out the question?)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

I understand what the numbers on the left of each element symbol mean, but how do I work out this question when it has the symbols on the right (what are the symbols on the right, e.g. 3- and how do I use that to work out the question?)

The symbols on the right tell us the net charge, as mentioned here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion#Notation.

Flop21

HSC

Oh I understand! Because the net charge is negative by 3, meaning it has 3 extra electrons.

RachelGreen

HSC

Can someone please explain what the net charge has on the nucleus? Meaning like what's the relationship between the neutrons, protons and electrons. Does having a net charge affect the number of protons and neutrons? Kind of confused

Flop21

HSC

Can someone please explain what the net charge has on the nucleus? Meaning like what's the relationship between the neutrons, protons and electrons. Does having a net charge affect the number of protons and neutrons? Kind of confused
Electrons are negative, protons are positive. So if its net charge is 3-, it's 3 negative, and what is negative? Electrons are negative, so it must have more electrons than protons to give it a negative charge.

Occupied

HSC
N/A

Electrons are negative, protons are positive. So if its net charge is 3-, it's 3 negative, and what is negative? Electrons are negative, so it must have more electrons than protons to give it a negative charge.
yeh this
basically in a neutral atom the number of ur protons = ur electrons. in a charged electron the number of ur protons =/= electrons. if it's a positive charge, u have more protons cuz protons are positive. if its a neg charge, u have more electrons cuz electrons r negative (they have neg charge).

neutrons just hold the nucleus together -> like if u think about it, like charges repel and opposite charges attract right? there isn't any electrons in the nucleus - nucleus only has protons and neutrons. theoretically protons should repel other protons (cuz like charges repel) but they don't cuz of the neutrons. ur number of neutrons can be found by minusing atomic number from atomic weight.

In hsc chem from memory u don't really deal with neutrons other than isotopes

net charges dont affect the number of ur protons because any element only ever has a set numer of protons. if u change the number of protons, ur making it into another element. e.g a neutral hydrogen has 1 proton and 1 electron. if u add a proton somehow, ur making it into Helium+ (He+) which has 2 protons and 1 electron. Net charges only affect number of electrons -> ur not changing number of neutrons or protons.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

yeh this
basically in a neutral atom the number of ur protons = ur electrons. in a charged electron the number of ur protons =/= electrons. if it's a positive charge, u have more protons cuz protons are positive. if its a neg charge, u have more electrons cuz electrons r negative (they have neg charge).

neutrons just hold the nucleus together -> like if u think about it, like charges repel and opposite charges attract right? there isn't any electrons in the nucleus - nucleus only has protons and neutrons. theoretically protons should repel other protons (cuz like charges repel) but they don't cuz of the neutrons. ur number of neutrons can be found by minusing atomic number from atomic weight.

In hsc chem from memory u don't really deal with neutrons other than isotopes

net charges dont affect the number of ur protons because any element only ever has a set numer of protons. if u change the number of protons, ur making it into another element. e.g a neutral hydrogen has 1 proton and 1 electron. if u add a proton somehow, ur making it into Helium+ (He+) which has 2 protons and 1 electron. Net charges only affect number of electrons -> ur not changing number of neutrons or protons.
Well I mean, in order to be able to deal with isotopes you need to know what the mass number actually is first (no. of protons + no. of neutrons) so that probably comes first

Occupied

HSC
N/A

Well I mean, in order to be able to deal with isotopes you need to know what the mass number actually is first (no. of protons + no. of neutrons) so that probably comes first
yh true true

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A

With reference to the underlying chemistry and with relevant equations, assess the impacts on society of TWO uses of ethanol. (7 marks)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A

More goon, okayish fuel.

Is that acceptable?
BOSTES just called me, this is what they said:

Candidates need to improve in these areas:

A satisfactory level in literacy skill is necessary before commencing study in the field of HSC Chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)